Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
WSJ: Your E-Book Is Reading You

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...90950051438304

Quote:
The major new players in e-book publishing—Amazon, Apple and Google—can easily track how far readers are getting in books, how long they spend reading them and which search terms they use to find books. Book apps for tablets like the iPad, Kindle Fire and Nook record how many times readers open the app and how much time they spend reading. Retailers and some publishers are beginning to sift through the data, gaining unprecedented insight into how people engage with books.
Not that I'm endorsing the practice, but I thought they did this in far greater degree a long time ago.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
That article is over two years old.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
Yea and it still bugs me and is one of the prime reasons I fee my books then use a third party reader application. Preferably open source reader application because they are less likely to pull these kinds of things.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Ummm how else can they synchronize across platforms? I have multiple devices and it really helps to pick up where I left off with the book on the last device. The customer does gain a tangible benefit.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Ummm how else can they synchronize across platforms? I have multiple devices and it really helps to pick up where I left off with the book on the last device. The customer does gain a tangible benefit.
Actually, it can be achieved with account-specific tokens and hashed markers.
The kind of meta-data vaccuming and page by page tracking ADE 4 has been doing in not in any way necessary. It is totally unwarranted intrusion.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-13-2014 at 10:35 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I don't use book apps, all my reading is done on the Kindle, and as I sideload all my books from Calibre after purchase, I never connect the Kindle to the web... Amazon are going to have a hard time knowing much
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
My bad - it was in one of my feeds, didn't look at the date, thought it was recent.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Ah. That would explain the claim of increased sales for Nook devices and books.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I don't use book apps, all my reading is done on the Kindle, and as I sideload all my books from Calibre after purchase, I never connect the Kindle to the web... Amazon are going to have a hard time knowing much
Yes, that's true. But you know what .. they don't care. Contrary to what some people seem to think, Amazon is not interested in tracking Yolina or Mike or any other individual (at least, not in this context).

What they are looking for is general trends. If a certain percentage of readers stop reading a given book before half-way through, or if many people skip certain chapters, or if a large number read the book at one sitting ... that's the sort of useful data that they are going to be interested in. (How they actually use that data is another question.)

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
(How they actually use that data is another question.)

Mike
They use it to identify books worth promoting and authors worth offering contracts to. And individualized data is useless there.

For most other things, where identifying us might be relevant, they have browsing and sales data.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
What bugs me is they don't give me this data. I want to see my reading metrics. That'd be fun.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #12
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
But you know what .. they don't care. Contrary to what some people seem to think, Amazon is not interested in tracking Yolina or Mike or any other individual (at least, not in this context).

What they are looking for is general trends. If a certain percentage of readers stop reading a given book before half-way through, or if many people skip certain chapters, or if a large number read the book at one sitting ... that's the sort of useful data that they are going to be interested in. (How they actually use that data is another question.)
But you know what...I care. I generate the data, on my device, when reading a book that I have purchased with my hard earned money, and I do not want some faceless corporate entity rummaging around in my stuff, thanks very much. And I do not think that some get out clause buried away in a lengthy EULA or T&C gives them any excuse.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
What bugs me is they don't give me this data. I want to see my reading metrics. That'd be fun.
Have you asked?
They're adding software features to Kindle regularly so they might let you see it.
Or toggle it off.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
But you know what...I care. I generate the data, on my device, when reading a book that I have purchased with my hard earned money, and I do not want some faceless corporate entity rummaging around in my stuff, thanks very much.
To be fair, Amazon only collects the data if you send it to their servers, via Whispersync. You can shut this feature off.

As for Apple and Google, I don't know.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
But you know what...I care. I generate the data, on my device, when reading a book that I have purchased with my hard earned money, and I do not want some faceless corporate entity rummaging around in my stuff, thanks very much. .
I think you mis-read my post. I was replying to Yolina who pointed out that Amazon cannot track him/her in this way if you never connect your Kindle. I'm not justifying or defending Amazon in any way.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote