Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
US tablet market share 2014

From Marketwatch:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sam...all-2014-10-15

Quote:
Parks Associates announced new research today showing Amazon and Samsung are locked in a tight race for second place behind Apple in the tablet market, which overall shows signs of cooling even as adoption remains high. Parks Associates' 360 View: Mobility and the App Economy, which highlights and analyzes results from a 1Q 2014 survey of 10,000 U.S. broadband households, finds 16% have an Amazon tablet and 14% have a Samsung tablet, while Apple's share has dropped from 46% in 1Q 2012 to 37%, which includes a combination of the iPad and the iPad Mini.
It'll be interesting to see how the 6" Fire affects the market.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
From Marketwatch:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sam...all-2014-10-15

It'll be interesting to see how the 6" Fire affects the market.
It'll be a hot seller this holiday season. At $99 and 5 colors to choose from, it'll be an impulse buy and will make a great stocking stuffer.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
16% in the USA for Amazon, huh? THAT matches up with my own personal experience much better than the world wide statistics that came out not too long ago that said only 3% of people had an Amazon tablet. Here in the US of A, I see iPads the most and easily the Fire tablets second.

So that makes sense.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I don't think the HD 6 will do anything for the marketshare, and I don't think the new iPads will be getting Apple Pay.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I believe the 6" Amazon tabs will be a game changer. People will be picking these up for their kids and for Christmas gifts. I expect Amazon's tablet market share to be much bigger next year at this time.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Between the 6" Fire and the dirt-cheap WinTabs a lot of people are going to buy tablets this XMAS that otherwise wouldn't. Eventually those folks will want to upgrade.

When I first heard Google was doing a Nexus 6 I thought it was a tablet to expand the market. But a phablet? At $650? It might bring in some good cash but it's not going to move the ecosystem market share needle...
Old 10-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Between the 6" Fire and the dirt-cheap WinTabs a lot of people are going to buy tablets this XMAS that otherwise wouldn't. Eventually those folks will want to upgrade.

When I first heard Google was doing a Nexus 6 I thought it was a tablet to expand the market. But a phablet? At $650? It might bring in some good cash but it's not going to move the ecosystem market share needle...
I agree about the Nexus 6, too high of a price. What it and the new iPhones will do is create lots of imitators in the phablet space, and I expect to see many more 6" tablets from the white box tablet makers. Just a few months ago all the focus was on larger tabs, but I think Amazon and these phone makers are putting the spotlight on the 6" screen size.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Fire HD6 + Skype = the poor man's phablet
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
There will be inexpensive (they're $99 right now) Windows 8.1 tablets for sale, most likely.

Last edited by Shane R; 10-15-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
I agree about the Nexus 6, too high of a price. What it and the new iPhones will do is create lots of imitators in the phablet space, and I expect to see many more 6" tablets from the white box tablet makers. Just a few months ago all the focus was on larger tabs, but I think Amazon and these phone makers are putting the spotlight on the 6" screen size.
6inchers are truly pocketable. And more practical as reading devices.
And more kid friendly, even without the bumper.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I don't think the HD 6 will do anything for the marketshare, and I don't think the new iPads will be getting Apple Pay.
It will be interesting to see what gets announced by Apple tomorrow. I'm not sure that Apple pay is such a big deal for tablets, but we shall see.

I do think that several of the above posters have it right, a 6 inch Fire tablet at $99 is just at the right size and price point to be a good stocking stuffer.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
I believe the 6" Amazon tabs will be a game changer. People will be picking these up for their kids and for Christmas gifts. I expect Amazon's tablet market share to be much bigger next year at this time.
Yes...
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
There will be inexpensive (they're $99 right now) Windows 8.1 tablets for sale, most likely.
I had mentioned the $120 Windows tablet. I think it will become more popular with Windows 10 if they do what they are talking about.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I had mentioned the $120 Windows tablet. I think it will become more popular with Windows 10 if they do what they are talking about.
Fundamentally, I think Microsoft's opportunity in tablets came and went. Microsoft has been marketing their tablets as work machines. Even at $120, I don't see them increasing their market share noticeably. Just my opinion, though.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote