Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Sony Reader Wifi T1: How does the sync across devices work?

Hi,
The Sony website mentions that with the Sony Reader Wifi T1 annotations and bookmarks are automatically synchronized via the cloud to other devices.
(1) Does this work for books purchase from the Sony Reader online store only or for any books that I download?
(2) If I install the Reader software on my Android phone or on my Mac, will the ebooks by synchronized as well automatically?

What I am trying to find out is if Sony's cloud sync service works the same as Amazon Kindle's one. If yes, I'll get the new ereader.
Thanks,
Diddy
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I don't have a T1. However, I have the 950 which supports wireless sync like the T1 will. I was able to successfully sync last page read, bookmarks, highlights and keyboard notes between the new Reader for Mac and my 950. I tested it both ways: from the Mac to the Reader and from the Reader to the Mac. I have also previously been able to sync between my 950 and the Reader Android app on a tablet.

In summary, it works. However, I don't think it is a smooth as the Kindle experience. The Reader for Android app also is very basic and not as nice as the Kindle app. Hopefully they will update it. I wish the new software had an easy sync button like Kindle does. I had to sleep my 950 to get it to transmit the info to the cloud. For the Reader for Mac, I just exited the book back to the library view.

On the 950 and Reader for Mac, when you open the book a message appears telling you what the last page read was on another device and asks whether or not you want to go there. I assume the T1 will work similarly.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot to mention that syncing with my 950 worked for any book that I loaded into Reader for Mac. For example, it didn't matter if it was a Sony purchase or a Kobo purchase. I was impressed with that capability!

FYI - The Sony Android app only views Sony purchases.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
diddy
Connoisseur

Many thanks for your answer! One more question: So let's say you downloaded a book from Kobo to your ereader, would that then show up on the Mac Reader as well without you doing anything (apart from maybe pressing a sync button)?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I don't know if the T1 will allow you to download DRM'ed books directly on the device yet. It is supposed to allow download of non-DRM'ed books. Hopefully file transfer sites like Dropbox will work.

If you only transfer the Kobo book to your reader (via a method like Adobe ADE, drag-and-drop, calibre, SD card, etc.), then it will only be on your reader. You will have to download the Kobo book to your Mac and then import it into the Reader for Mac software.

To do my testcase, I already had a copy of the Kobo book on my 950 that had been downloaded to my Mac and then transferred to my 950 via syncing with the old Reader Library software. I then imported the Kobo book EPUB file into the new Reader for Mac software. It was able to sync the Kobo book between my 950 and the new software.

I hope that my explanation is not too confusing! I think another way of saying it is that you have to have identical copies of the book in both the Reader for Mac software and on your ereader for it to sync properly. It won't recognize the books that are only on one or the other. You will have to load the Kobo book into the Reader for Mac software.
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
diddy
Connoisseur

Many thanks for your excellent explanation!
In terms of non Sony reader store books I kind of expected this behaviour, but how does it work with books that were purchased in the sony reader store? They should be downloaded automatically on any device and annotations etc sync'd, or is this not the case?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

It is sort of a mixed bag.

New Sony purchases made from your computer will automatically download into the Reader for Mac software.

New Sony purchases made from your ereader (950 or T1) or the Android app will show up in the list of your books in the Reader for Mac software. However, they won't automatically download. You will have to double-click to download them into the software. The book cover icons have a special symbol on them if they are still residing in the cloud and need to be downloaded. I like the Kindle for PC / Mac software better in that it allows you to separate your book list between those in the cloud and those that have been downloaded. The Reader for Mac software lumps them all together with the different graphic icons.

For your Sony previous purchases, you will have to re-download them from the library book list into the new software or import the files from your hard-drive.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I thought of one more scenario. Let's assume that you purchase a book in the Reader for Mac software. You can wirelessly download it to your ereader (950 or T1). You can access the bookstore account page from your ereader. It will show you a list of all purchases linked to your account (regardless of whether they were purchased on your computer, your ereader or your Android device), and then you can select what you want to download to the ereader. In other words, you do not have to connect by USB to transfer books that were purchased within Reader for Mac to your ereader.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I forgot to mention that syncing with my 950 worked for any book that I loaded into Reader for Mac. For example, it didn't matter if it was a Sony purchase or a Kobo purchase. I was impressed with that capability!

FYI - The Sony Android app only views Sony purchases.
Don't forget there are two apps now. The tablet app supports sideloading and those books sync as well. It's only available for Sony tablets now (if you try to install from Market with a tablet), but will be made available to all tablets in December.

Last edited by SCION; 10-02-2011 at 03:53 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
diddy
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot for your all your answers! It looks like Sony is finally catching up with the Amazon Kindle in terms of offering a good service which works across many devices. I am more convinced now to spend my money on the Sony Reader Wifi T1.
Best regards,
Diddy
Old 10-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #11
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Does anyone know how the syncing works technically? That is does a device upload a data file or something to a Sony server where it sits until another device looks at it and downloads updated bookmarks, reading position etc.? And has anyone reverse engineered it?

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Does anyone know how the syncing works technically? That is does a device upload a data file or something to a Sony server where it sits until another device looks at it and downloads updated bookmarks, reading position etc.? And has anyone reverse engineered it?

Andrew
A service like this needs to go through a central server to be as effective as it is. So yeah, it does go through a Sony server and other devices grab the latest information. It does appear as though this information is stored in a new file on the 950 which contains current reading positions of books. Previous models did include annotations, and it looks like only the ADE annotations are uploaded.

It is new enough (until the new Android apps and the latest Reader software, only the 950 could sync) that nobody has really delved into it. We can make accurate assumptions about how it works, but what is the specific benefit to reverse engineering it?
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
It is new enough (until the new Android apps and the latest Reader software, only the 950 could sync) that nobody has really delved into it. We can make accurate assumptions about how it works, but what is the specific benefit to reverse engineering it?
I idly daydream of writing a small piece of software that sits on your PC waiting for a Sony PRS-505, 350 or 650 to be plugged in by USB, then does the syncing. I'm fed up of reading at lunchtime at work, getting home and forgetting where I reached in the book (I have one eReader at home and one at work as I cycle and don't like carrying them around).

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
That would work today, someone just has to write it.

Sony stores information about where each book is at in the XML files it uses. With the 950 2.0 update, they added a couple more XML files to make Over-The-Air syncing easier on their part by only including the current positions and text annotations in their own files that can be uploaded/downloaded by themselves. The T1 moved this information back into the SQLite DB where it is fast.

On the 505/350/650/etc, the information is still there in a different form. Writing a tool that synced all the pre-T1/950 devices with each other would be fairly straight-forward. But it would be a bit harder to make it work correctly with the T1/950 as well.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Kolenka, have you tried syncing with your T1 yet? I can get Reader for Mac and my 950 to recognize the last read page from my T1. However, I can't get my T1 to recognize last read page from any of my devices... It doesn't have an option to manually page sync in your book like the 950 does. I am very frustrated!