Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 04:44 AM   #31
LazLong
LazLong began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
True manual firmware update

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Enjoy the Tab. You said you paid an additional $150 for it. You paid $400 for the Tab off contract?
Yup. From Costco. They have it for $399 w/o contract through the end of February IIRC.

My wife loves it BTW. The GUI is more usable, as it is designed to be a tablet, not a e-reader. She (and I) prefers the NC's case design; it fits in the hand much more comfortably.

I still think the NC is a good deal for a tablet, if you are willing to deal with the idiosyncrasies that result from hacking it. My wife wouldn't have been.

Also, I later found a way to do a manual upgrade of the NC's firmware using a boot microSDHC card as a boot device, but that was when I was in the process of re-imaging the NC to put it back to factory settings and remove the Android Market, etc. Here's the link:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...ock-image.html

If you want to hack your NC, here is the place to start:

http://nookdevs.com/Main_Page

Later guys.
LazLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:04 AM   #32
LazLong
LazLong began at the beginning.

Galaxy Tab 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Cheapest that I've heard w/a 1m breakable contract was c. $550, or $600+ "unlocked". All the "cheaper" ones that I've seen come w/mandatory 2y contracts. (This tablet just isn't worth that, maybe $300 contract free tops...)

Kind of silly to buy a Galaxy Tab now since it's about to be old news as far as Samsung usually goes since they're releasing Tegra 2 tabletty goodness soon, albeit in a 10" form factor.... expecting it to be flagrantly overpriced again like the Xoom.

Elocity has a Tegra 2 10" tablet upcoming as well, supposedly with an IPS screen for c. $400, and then there is always the Notion Ink Adam, but I'm leery of those with reported battery problems & Pixel Qi(the one that I'm interested in, no 3G WiFi c. $500) screen problems.

OTA update to 1.01 never worked for me, but sideload update did. OTA 1.10 worked fine. Might want to use some ZIP utility and check the integrity of the downloaded sideload update .zip file... (usually called "test" in the zip utility menu options...)
Not silly at all; obviously our needs and ideas are different. The Galaxy Tab 2 is a 10.1" beast, which makes it less than portable in my eyes, and in any case doesn't meet my wife's needs. She wanted something to drop in her purse basically as a replacement for her Sony Reader PRS-505. I agree with her, I wouldn't want to lug around a 10.1" tablet. Of course, I am willing to go a step further and be happy with my Atrix once it arrives. I'd rather lug one device around with a 4" screen than two just to get the expanded real estate. My wife would pick one up also if her company's IT department would support something other than CrackBerries. She really digs the idea of only having to lug the laptop dock on travel when she doesn't need the horsepower of her Thinkpad T410s.

The Notion Ink was looking interesting, but in the end the company was too immature and unable to pull off what they were promising. Hopefully v2.0 will fare better.

As for the Galaxy Tab w/o contract for $399 from Costco, here's the info:

http://membershipwireless.com/index....dsAndNetBooks/
LazLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #33
herbvee
herbvee began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Talking Updating nook color

I came across one of these nooks the other day. The solution was to navigate to the B&N's firmware update link on the nook itself.
Afterwards I connected the nook to my PC and copy/pasted the .zip file out of the Download directory and into the root of the nook.
herbvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #34
ShanMcG
ShanMcG doesn't litterShanMcG doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 & Nook Color
I just spent the last 3 hours trying to do a manual update - I'm talking pulling my hair out, banging my head on the desk frustration!!! I turn to my trusty friends on this forum and pow....the update is installing. If you were all around me now I would kiss every one of you!!!
ShanMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 PM   #35
whiskeyrox
whiskeyrox began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanMcG View Post
I just spent the last 3 hours trying to do a manual update - I'm talking pulling my hair out, banging my head on the desk frustration!!! I turn to my trusty friends on this forum and pow....the update is installing. If you were all around me now I would kiss every one of you!!!
What was it that finally made it work for you!?
whiskeyrox is offline   Reply With Quote