Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
cantona
cantona began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Converting PDF

Hi

I have about 10 PDF ebooks on my PC at the moment. I bought my kindle last week and I am waiting for it to arrive. From what I understand I must convert these to a different format so the text can be resized in the Kindle making them more readable. What program should I use?

Regards,
Cantona

PS. The PDF's are all text, no diagrams
PPS. I originally posted this in the wrong section,sorry.
cantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You'll find all kinds of varying techniques that folks use, but here's what I do (provided they aren't DRM'd PDFs)...

1 - Open the PDF in Acrobat Pro and export as HTML.
2 - Open the HTML in Sigil and do any editing, creating an ePub file.
3 - Convert ePub file to Mobi using Calibre.
4 - Transfer to Kindle via USB.

This varies sometimes. For instance sometimes the file looks pretty messed up in Sigil so I use Calibre to convert the HTML to ePub then edit the ePub in Sigil.

For a couple really simple methods you can try (sometimes things come out great, sometimes not so much). Download Mobipocket Creator (free) and use that to convert the PDF to Mobi/prc or use Calibre to convert PDF directly to Mobi.

You can also use Mobi Creator to get HTML from a PDF, I'm sure there are other free programs that'll give you HTML from PDF too. Don't use Acrobat Reader to export as you can only get plain text that way and will lose things like italics.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-01-2010 at 11:25 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
msvadi
msvadi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Global Wireless
Mobipocket Creator, Publisher Edition.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ilscreator.asp
msvadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
thought that the kindle had updated pdf capabilites... might want to wait and see how the pdfs open on the kindle
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
thought that the kindle had updated pdf capabilites... might want to wait and see how the pdfs open on the kindle
Updated capabilities means that you can enlarge the PDF page. It doesn't reflow text, so you then have to start scrolling vertically and horizontally to read the text. Highly unsatisfactory.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 03:09 AM   #6
Habakkuk
Reader
Habakkuk doesn't litterHabakkuk doesn't litterHabakkuk doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Send the PDF as an email attachment to yourkindlename@kindle.com or yourkindlename@free.kindle.com.
Put Convert in the subject line. This will convert the PDF file into an AZW Kindle format file.
Habakkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:29 AM   #7
cantona
cantona began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
thanks for the info if I send the pdf to name@free.kindle.com, will they send bakc the azw coverted file to the email address that sent them the email?

Regards,
Cantona
cantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:05 AM   #8
Habakkuk
Reader
Habakkuk doesn't litterHabakkuk doesn't litterHabakkuk doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
No. It will send an email to the owners email address with a link to download the file. Don't forget to ensure that the sender's email address is registered on your Manage Your Kindle page.
Habakkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #9
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I found that if you save the PDF as HTML, then import that HTML file to Calibre (it shows it as ZIP format), then convert that ZIP to MOBI, it displays pretty well on the Kindle. Certainly with the ones I have tried, saving from PDF to HTML removes the headers and footers which are the main things I am trying to clean out using other methods.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote