Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #76
Vardd
Vardd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi RonH, I might have an other alternative for you.

There is a website, http://www.instapaper.com/ , where you can "save" a page so you can read it later on.
You can download it in many format, including epub. Also, you can RSS feed it into calibre in "news", so it automatically sync next time you plug your kobo.

I can give you a step by step if you want, but it is fairly simple.
But here a rough step by step :

1) Create an account on http://www.instapaper.com/
2) Bookmark the READ later icon on the website.
3) Go in calibre and in RSS feed, find instapaper, then add your account name + password(by default instapaper doesn't need a password.)
3) Find a webpage you want to read on your kobo and click the bookmark READ LATER.
4) Go in calibre, update RSS feed
5) Then your instapaper feed should be in news
6) Plug your kobo
7) Read

It is a rough guide, as i am not on my main computer where i have my kobo + calibre, but i am pretty sure it was something like it. But if you would like a more precise guide, just let me know.

** But this way doesn't fix the size, so if you can't read on the default size, you will have to run it through "the kidintheblock."
Vardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #77
RonH
RonH began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thanks, Vardd. I'll try it. I haven't so far used Calibre for news feeds, but I do use it for getting epubs on and off the Kobo.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 02:07 AM   #78
mTamblyn
mTamblyn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo eReader, iPhone, iPad
Hi all -- the latest firmware upgrade deals with most of the epub font resizing issues directly.

Details here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88979

Thanks so much to Katdragon and everyone else who came together to help each other through the font resizing issues while we got this fix ready.

Michael Tamblyn, EVP Content, Sales & Merchandising - Kobo
mTamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #79
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

This tool is still useful for me.
one of my books shows huge margin (1/3 of the screen) without the fix.
I think others may have the similar issue as mine, so please don't remove this from web.

Last edited by fred_yu_job; 07-03-2010 at 06:52 AM.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #80
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I think I made this post to the wrong area. I just found that if I convert or save an existing epub using Stanza instead of Calibre, my epubs have proper sized, adjustable fonts.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #81
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I thought Stanza was only a reader program, and only for iThingies.

Can you give us more details on what you did, please? How do you get files from your iThing over to the Kobo?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #82
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Yes, I downloaded the desktop version to my computer from their webpage...
http://www.lexcycle.com/desktop
I have been using this to convert various other format for my dead Jetbook for the past year or two.
I have associated most reader file formats to open with Stanza, but one can open Stanza, then open the epub, lit, mobi, prc, etc and choose export file and save to directory of choice.
My Jetbook stopped functioning a couple of weeks ago and I had been using my Iphone with stanza until I had resolved which reader to purchase. Stanza will send epubs right into the Iphone as Calibre does with Kobo, but I found that if I saved an Epub using the Stanza desk SW, exported and saved it (even if it was already an epub) as an epub, then just dragged and drop into the Kobo folder or an SD card, there were no font sizing problems. Too bad because I thought Calibre would work well, but maybe it is a large part of the problem not Kobe? I"m becoming more and more HAPPY with Kobo and will have to learn to blink during the page change..I first purchased and returned 2 Sony readers which would not charge, then followed someone's on this forum) kind advice and bought the Sony Charger (half price at Borders yesterday). It charged right up but the glare from the screen and the procedure to load books so awful, I returned it and bought the Kobo. I"m glad I did, I saved a bunch of money , it has much sharper fonts and drag and drop is always the easiest for me.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #83
narc
narc began at the beginning.

I can help you make a Linux port if you like.
narc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #84
Bvelleko
Bvelleko began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (Black)
YES, this was exactly what I needed. Thanks, even knowing that you build the tool a year ago
Bvelleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #85
Ridgedale
Ridgedale began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
zip file won't open...component COMDLG32.OCX not correctly registered?????
Ridgedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgedale View Post
zip file won't open...component COMDLG32.OCX not correctly registered?????
The program is obsolete. It's not needed. Kobo fixed the problem. You don't need the program. The program breaks your ePub. Just move on, the thread is old and there's nothing new.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote