Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
FbReader for Nokia N900

After using FbReader on my Nokia N800 internet tablet for the last few years, I've been eagerly anticipating a version for the just released N900. I noticed that it was available for download in one of the repos today and immediately installed it. I can report that it runs smoothly. I loaded up some epub books for my test. Some work still needs to be done on mapping some of the hardware keys but for now the touch screen controls will do.

discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I just checked in the repos and it seems there is no N800/OS2008 version update?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
MLXXXp
Enthusiast
MLXXXp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I just checked in the repos and it seems there is no N800/OS2008 version update?
I'm already running V0.10.7 on my N800. I believe that I got it from http://www.fbreader.org/maemo/maemo4.php.
MLXXXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXXp View Post
I'm already running V0.10.7 on my N800. I believe that I got it from http://www.fbreader.org/maemo/maemo4.php.
thanks but actually the newest version on the N800 under OS2008 is 0.10.7, as I recall it was finally updated early last year as I recall, but I am not certain.

Dunno why but I assumed that the OP was referring to the new v.0.12.0 release. Of course has I actually paid attention I would have noticed it was the old version 0.10.7 which had been around for the N800/OS2008 for a long time now. I guess an N900/Maemo 5 version was released? I have stopped paying attention to the whole NIT arena because the things is a mess internally and all the coders want to write are different media player apps instead of making a couple-three of them really good.

The NIT versions have seemed a very low priority for the Fbreader people, probably for good reason as Nokia has pretty much presented a moving target OS and hardware wise...I if we ever do get an update to 0.12.0 it will be almost a year for it to happen, and only then as time permits.

I like my NIT well enough but when Nokia broke the video camera function under OS2008 and bluntly explained they did not care and were going to do nothing about it, I just concluded the platform was never going to be more than a niche device where they can beta test on the user base. Still I can use it for a few really nice things like Xword, FBReader and the MLB Audio is a great feature as well because I can listen to games wound the house and where I live we get ZERO radio coverage. I also basically use it as I did my old transistor radios...really nice for that or the fast YouTube video if I am somewhere with Wifi. So, while I am bummed at the direct the platform took, I am getting enough value for what I paid. But because the script kiddies only want to play with the latest and greatest stuff, the platform will become a dead end a lot sooner than my Clie nx73v which after over 5yrs still has new apps out there...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #5
prs700
prs700 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-700
Thanks for the review,

can you report on opening large graphical PDF file with the Nokia?
is it handled well without crashing? does it zoom well? does it handle the bookmarked pages embedded within the document?

thanks a mil

prs700

Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
After using FbReader on my Nokia N800 internet tablet for the last few years, I've been eagerly anticipating a version for the just released N900. I noticed that it was available for download in one of the repos today and immediately installed it. I can report that it runs smoothly. I loaded up some epub books for my test. Some work still needs to be done on mapping some of the hardware keys but for now the touch screen controls will do.
prs700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
harlamar
harlamar began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle or ipad, which? (or neither?)
I have similar questions as prs700, but also, would like to know if there are any sdk's or developer incentives for the Nokia tablet? I'm currently shopping around, and I would like to customize whatever device I get. Also, what about the battery, does it have rapid depletion or does it run down like an mnui during the end of its life cycle? Like everyone, i've seen too many issues with batteries...

Last edited by harlamar; 04-29-2010 at 04:56 PM.
harlamar is offline   Reply With Quote