Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
ModlrMike
ModlrMike began at the beginning.

Device: none
Potential owner

Hi folks. I've been drooling over the 600 for several weeks now. Before I pull the trigger, I'd like a little input on how the device handles images. My intent is to use the Reader to house my text books for work, some novels for my limited free time, and some hobby stuff. Most of my books will be either text or PDF, with the text books being mostly PDF. My main question is, how well does the reader handle PDF with full colour images. My texts will be mostly medical in nature, so good image handling is quite important to me.

Any links to good screen shot examples?

Thanks... MM
ModlrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
All pictures will be displayed in greyscale and the resolution will be of newspaper like quality. It is also a fairly small screen only 6" on the diagonal. great for novels but may not support the quality or size you need for medical texts.
Hope this helps some. I love my Sony but it is more for entertainment in my opinion.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Agreed, while graphics look pretty good in my opinion (compare it to an old black- and white television, if you have been there) the screen is too small for unscalable images - you'll want more overview than a 6" device can give you. I would say 8" at the very least in landscape mode, or better yet, a 10.2" device like the IRex Digital Reader.

Beware of the pricetag on those though, the main reason I still went for the PRS-600 despite wanting to use it for textbooks also.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
ZrZZ
ZrZZ began at the beginning.

Hi, i wonder about the quality of the screem, i read that 700 was kind of annoying when the light was reflecting.

Is the screen e-ink quality?
ZrZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrZZ View Post
Hi, i wonder about the quality of the screem, i read that 700 was kind of annoying when the light was reflecting.

It is e-ink, so, er, yes .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the screen is fine. I guess some people expect it to look exactlly like a page from a laser printer on nice crisp white paper stock. That is not what you get. The background of the eInk reader is a light grey. but the text shows up black. As for glare it depends on how you hold the reader and where your light source is. Yes there is some reflection on the screen but if you move your hand slightly you can adjust your veiwing angle and read the page clearly. It is like when you watch TV with a bright lights source in a room. at some angles you get a glar on the screen and have to move or turn off the light or close the curtains to get the glare to go away or be less severe.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
ZrZZ

thanks for the info. ( :
Old 10-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
ModlrMike

I might pop over to the local Sony Store and see if they have a demo one.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
MrKrueger
MrKrueger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
You could also try Best Buy. Both of the Best Buys near me have demo units for both the 300 and the 600. They have some test pictures on it, so you can get an idea of image quality, but no PDFs.
MrKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrZZ View Post

I got my PRS-600 yesterday and it looks nice, but the screen is reflecting a lot of light so reading on it is a pain. Perhaps I get used to it, but for now I am actually disappointed. In the screen I can see the lightsource (light bulb, tubes,= pretty good and it hurts my eyes and makes the text hard to read.
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
ZrZZ

Tack, now i know that i don't want a buy the sony! The quality of the screen is important to me.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #12
TGNY
Enthusiast
TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

For me the 600 turned out to be the perfect reader, it feels like a book with the cover and size is perfect. Kindle would've been larger than I liked, the touch screen page turn is worth the price of admission alone. The screen looks great, yes has a little glare but it is so positionally dependent. A subtle move of the wrist and glare is gone.. I don't see any reason for another ebook reader really.
TGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
ModlrMike

Well, I took the plunge today... new PRS600 in black. I'll play with it this weekend and load up some of my textbooks to see how they look. Expect a brief commentary.

Now I just have to find a decent case.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
TGNY
Enthusiast
TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hey Congrats, I know you will love it as I currently love mine, Just started reading 3001: The FInal Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke.

Forgot to mention the aluminum frame of the 600, really nice touch in my book! Enjoy!
TGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:29 AM   #15
Billjr13
Addict

Enjoy and I hope you like yours as much as I like mine