Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Talung
Talung began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Removing Case Sensitivity

Hi There,

I sync my calibre folder between a Linux and Windows and have discovered a problem. This is not really a problem with Calibre itself, but the file storage system.

Essentially it comes down to the this. Unix file systems are case sensitive, Windows is not. I am not sure what file functions Calibre does when you change a Book title but the end result is as the following example (I am ignoring the author part, but this affects that too)

eg.
orginal title: Dawn of the dead
windows folder name: Dawn of the dead (23)

New title: Dawn of the Dead
new folder name: Dawn of the dead (23)

Do a rsync to linux, and the book cover and formats are lost in a different folder.

Linux will have these two folders now:
folder name: Dawn of the dead (23)
folder name: Dawn of the Dead (23)

Any ideas or fixes to prevent this from happening. Unfortunately I play games, so it makes the windows machine a necessity.

Tal
Talung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://www.lynchconsulting.com.au/bl...n-Linux--HOWTO
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
Talung

Thanks Kovid,

I was hoping for solution without having to start sticking a FAT system on my Linux server.

Think I will just have to use the linux as the main system using remote X type environment to add and manipulate books.

Are there any plans of using alternate disk storage method? ie. in a MySQL database, or just using ID numbers, etc?
Old 02-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can use a JFS file system as well if you don't like FAT

And no, there aren't any such plans.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
Talung

Thanks Kovid.

Great product and am really enjoying adding collections and books to transfer to the reader. Should really be reading those that I am tranfering.
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I use a combination of Linux and Windows.

The problem seems to be that if a file/folder already exists on Windows then it ignores the case of folders/file names. They way I get around this is if I have just made a change to the case of something I do the change in two stages:

- Add something to the field (name or title) (e.g. an X on the end) and OK the metadata change. The original name/folder will be removed.
- Now set things to what they SHOULD be (e.g. by removing the X) and this time the file/folder gets re-created with the correct case.

The above is only necessary if you are changing just the case and not a more fundamental change. Once you get into the habit of doing this it is not too difficult to remember and does solve the problem of making the case of folder/file on disk match the metadata.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
Talung

Thanks itimpi.

Thats a nice simple solution. Will have to remember to do that. I do a lot of Case changing.

Kovid, is there anyway something like this can be added in the program?
ie. detect if it is running on windows, and if there is only a case change do this multi-step?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not without a major rewrite of the relevant code. The basic problem is: Suppose you have two books with author Asimov. Now suppose you change one of the books' authors to asimov. Now because of the case insensitivity of the file system one of the two books is going to have to have a mismatch in the author folder.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 02-05-2009 at 01:56 AM.