Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
TetraKM
Connoisseur
TetraKM doesn't litterTetraKM doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Question Best Ebook Library Software

Hi All,

OK I realise this is a strange question as most of you will probably answer Calibre...But!

And it is a biggun'.

My queston is that I have Calibre which I mainly use for my Sony BeBbooks and a few others but i want something that I can use to sort all the ebooks I have got. (I have quite a few - lots of duplicates etc, and all in different formats)

So is calibre the best for doing this - what are everyones experiences.

Is there some good software for doing this apart from Calibre, like Media Monkey which I use for my music?
TetraKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
When you say 'different formats' are you speaking about different formats for different readers (Sony, Mobipocket, Microsoft Reader, Iliad, Kindle, etc.) or do you mean different formats as in LRF, PDF, RTF, etc. all for reading on the Sony Reader?

If they're all for reading on the sony, then Calibre would be my suggestion.

If they're for reading on different machines, then I don't know if there is any program other than sorting things into different folders manually using Windows Explorer (or some other similar program such as Z-tree which makes selecting and moving files much easier than Windows Explorer.)

If you on a Mac, I have no idea what to suggest.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraKM View Post
So is calibre the best for doing this - what are everyones experiences.
Yes... at least I use it that way. Calibre will store and catalog any ebook format that it can convert to LRF. There is no need to actually convert the book to LRF if you don't want to.

calibre also allows you to add metadata, summary, and also tags to help sort/find your books. It organizes the files nicely on your file system with a folder per book within a folder of the author.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #4
TetraKM
Connoisseur
TetraKM doesn't litterTetraKM doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Thanks Pilot Bob

But does it only do this if you convert?

And yes this is for a lot of books in various different formats - MS reader, PDF, Comics etc.

M
TetraKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
You don't have to convert anything you have in your Calibre database to LRF if you don't want to. The entry for a book can have virtually any file type that Calibre supports and is able to read the author/title/publisher etc from. You can edit the metadata for a book, add cover images, sort by various fields, create collections and sync to/from devices. And you can do all of this without converting to LRF - that's an optional step, but a useful one for 500/505/700 users :-)
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert