Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 AM   #1
Scifier
[=>>=]
Scifier began at the beginning.

Device: Asus 620BT (was), Irex Iliad (was), Kindle Keyboard, Android phone
bed table for reading

Hello,

Can anyone recommend me a good bed table for so I could enjoy reading my Iliad and non-e-ink-books and magazines even more.

I know that reading in the bed is not so good for eyes, but it became increasingly difficult for me to stay focused when I read sitting (getting old... may be...) for a more than 20 minutes.

The closest things that I found to what I think I want is a bed table for a laptop:

http://www.lapdawg.com/functions/bed-tray.html
http://sitincomfort.com/laplaidtab.html
http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060...-laptop-table/

but since they have been designed for portable computers, not for the books - I have some doubts if they could be used with the books.

It would be really great if someone could share they own experiences or just a link to a bed table you think would be the best for such in-bed reading.

Thank you.

Last edited by Scifier; 09-21-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Scifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
How about a tilting table that you can just roll out of the way when you're finished reading? Look at the fourth item from the bottom on this page. There's a flat place for a bedtime snack while the rest of the table tilts.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not sure I see the benefit of using a table for an eBook reader. Do you not hold it in your hands, like a book? I do!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifier View Post
Hello,

Can anyone recommend me a good bed table for so I could enjoy reading my Iliad and non-e-ink-books and magazines even more.

I know that reading in the bed is not so good for eyes, but it became increasingly difficult for me to stay focused when I read sitting (getting old... may be...) for a more than 20 minutes.

The closest things that I found to what I think I want is a bed table for a laptop:

http://www.lapdawg.com/functions/bed-tray.html
http://sitincomfort.com/laplaidtab.html
http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060...-laptop-table/

but since they have been designed for portable computers, not for the books - I have some doubts if they could be used with the books.

It would be really great if someone could share they own experiences or just a link to a bed table you think would be the best for such in-bed reading.

Thank you.
Honestly, I think those are overkill. I recently purchased an in bed reading/computer desk in preparation for building my own .... and there are some great ones out there.

Levenger (which I would think ships to Australia) has a very nice one ....
http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...-3|pageid=6159

These types are much less expensive. The one I am making is going to be a little more involved (since I want something more like a hospital bed table but with a tilting section in the middle).
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like the sort of thing that would be very awkward to store when you weren't using it, You'd (presumably) want to keep it in the bedroom so it was close at hand when you wanted it, and it's too big to put under the bed.
Advert
Old 09-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It looks like the sort of thing that would be very awkward to store when you weren't using it, You'd (presumably) want to keep it in the bedroom so it was close at hand when you wanted it, and it's too big to put under the bed.
The description says it's portable and has a handle, which we can't see in the picture. I think the legs fold in and the part that holds the book folds flat. If that's true then it would be very easy to store under the bed or between the bed and a night stand.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK - if it folds flat, that does indeed make it a lot more practical. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm wondering whether a book chair might be a simpler and cheaper option.

It's like a little deck-chair for books. Here's some:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bookchair-St...2123521&sr=8-1
Just do a web search on "Book chair" to find more colours etc.
You could even clip on a reading light.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
And a forum member has also made a rotating book chair: the pattern is several posts into the thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19418
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would find a book tray in bed annoying. I finish reading, close the cover and put the book on the night table. With the tray, I'd have to get out of bed to find someplace to put the tray.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I dunno, if you arranged it right (and have the space to do so) you could probably just slip it into the gap between the bed and the nightstand, right?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
OK - if it folds flat, that does indeed make it a lot more practical. Thanks!
Yeah, they fold flat. I found a nice plastic one at Walmart for about $25 ... same deal, it has an adjustable tilt up top and legs that fold in. That's making due until I build my rolling bed table.

I just stick it on the other side of the bed when I'm done reading for the night, but then I don't have the issue of another human being taking up that space for sleeping.

But they do generally fold up and store quite nicely.

I love it. Mostly because when I'm in bed, I prefer to have my book propped up on a hard surface so I don't fall asleep and have one of the cats decide to walk over the book screen which I probably just lying there.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
Scifier
[=>>=]
Scifier began at the beginning.

Device: Asus 620BT (was), Irex Iliad (was), Kindle Keyboard, Android phone
Thanks everyone,

but I was looking for a bed table I could put almost vertically (the stand piece) so I could read on the sofa. And my plans is to use it predominantly with A4 printouts, not with a paper books nor with Iliad.

This is why I was so keen to buy laptop table - from the pictrure it seems like the stand angle can be adjusted from from 0 to almost 90 degrees.
Scifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!

This one is at Levinger (see above for linky) and might do the trick for you.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote