Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Ideas for Kindle 2.0

I think in the next iteration they should have 2 versions of the Kindle: the cheapo version and the deluxe version. The cheapo version will be the same as Kindle 1.0, except only $299 and with the upgraded screen tech.

In the deluxe version, I think you should make the following upgrades.

1. Still $399 price point
2. Faster page refresh
3. 8 to 16 scale gray.
4. Bigger screen (perhaps 7.5 inches), but not a significantly bigger device in total. I want more page realestate so it can aproximate the page size of a regular book. i suppose u could make the margins on the side slightly smaller.
5. Rearrange the buttons so they are harder to accidently hit.
6. A page number metaphor instead of the current system, whatever it is.
7. Sleeker design with a better finish. (other people, not me.)
8. Shorter delay on the keyboard
9. Ability to zoom in and out of pictures
10. Faster processor, etc.

Also, I understand why they want to charge for the newspapers...more than the online version. they don't get the adveritsing dollars. However, I think if you are already a subscriber of the print or online version of the Wall Street Journal, you should be able to get the Kindle edition for something like $5 per month....then this would be worth it.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Haven't you forgotten the most important change of all?

Make it use EDGE rather than EVDO so it can be used world-wide.

How could you possibly overlook the #1 restriction of the current Kindle, which restricts its use to North America?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Don't fault him too much. As Americans, we're supposed to pretend other places don't exist!
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I think in the next iteration they should have 2 versions of the Kindle: the cheapo version and the deluxe version. The cheapo version will be the same as Kindle 1.0, except only $299 and with the upgraded screen tech.

2. Faster page refresh
3. 8 to 16 scale gray.
4. Bigger screen (perhaps 7.5 inches), but not a significantly bigger device in total. I want more page realestate so it can aproximate the page size of a regular book. i suppose u could make the margins on the side slightly smaller.
Your points 2, 3, 4 are technological impossibilities for at least the next year. When they are possible, the associated cost will preclude point 1.

As for point 10, the processor is a Xscale PXA255 at 400MHz. That's pretty darn fast.

What about the battery?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
i thnk they can get a better screen made at the same cost within a year. plus, this screen they have is already at least a year old.

I don't like that whole...americans don't think other countries exist stuff. that is so tired. It's pretty damn easy being "international" when u cross a country every 4 hours of driving.

as for the Edge versus EVDO...yeah, that would be great for the euros. and even me, since i travel abroad every so often.

but i actually don't like the idea since then when the Kindle is as popular as the ipod, some FROGhead will demand that they change it in order to allow more "competition"....code for we don't like successul American firms. we want a French Champion!!!

Last edited by markbot; 11-25-2007 at 04:26 PM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
but i actually don't like the idea since then when the Kindle is as popular as the ipod, some FROGhead will demand that they change it in order to allow more "competition"....code for we don't like successul American firms. we want a French Champion!!!
Maybe this is true but let's not condemn an entire country based on the actions of some of their leaders.

I believe that Amazon is testing the waters with this first version Kindle. They made an agreement with a US company to provide wireless access and have acknowledged that the US is currently their sole market. That is certainly their prerogative.

If the Kindle is successful would you not expect Amazon to release versions based on different wireless technologies? Isn't this what happened with the Motorola Razr when it became a hot commodity?

Amazon is in business to make money. Why would they exclude most of the world market if they had a successful product that could earn them huge profits?

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
I don't like that whole...americans don't think other countries exist stuff. that is so tired. It's pretty damn easy being "international" when u cross a country every 4 hours of driving.
Some truth to that. I have always been annoyed by the occasional non-us citizen who accuses the US of "cultural imperialism". It is true by result, it is not true by intent. It is the inevitable result of being one of the largest economies and the largest English speaking economy. It is not some US sponsored conspiracy....
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Haven't you forgotten the most important change of all?

How could you possibly overlook the #1 restriction of the current Kindle, which restricts its use to North America?
this, of course, will require CE certification and likely lots of others to work world-wide. Regulations do effect the sale of a product.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

2. Faster page refresh
3. 8 to 16 scale gray.
4. Bigger screen (perhaps 7.5 inches), but not a significantly bigger device in total. I want more page real estate so it can approximate the page size of a regular book. i suppose u could make the margins on the side slightly smaller.
5. Rearrange the buttons so they are harder to accidentally hit.
1. That's OK
2. That depends on what the new versions of the screen are like
3. 8 gray scale could have been now if they had used the same controller the 505 uses.
4. Bigger screen not till the end of 2008 (I think)
5. Would be nice if they allowed you to turn off one of the sets of page turn buttons
6. Can't do. That has to do with the Mobipocket format/reader.
7. seems OK to me as is
8. That might have to do with the eink screen
9. Can do on the 505
10. That would be nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:08 PM   #10
resistor
resistor has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You do realize that EVDO is about 5x-10x faster than EDGE, depending on the variant your phone and your provider are using?

I believe the technology you're looking for is HSDPA, which is high-speed data over GSM networks. However, it's not as widely deployed, just as EVDO is less widely deployed than 1xRTT (though my completely unscientific impression is that EVDO leads HSDPA in deployment here in the US).
resistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Quote:
2. Faster page refresh
3. 8 to 16 scale gray.
5. Rearrange the buttons so they are harder to accidently hit.
I'm not sure how #6 could be done since page numbers would change whenever you change font size? It seems to me that the location number they currently use is the best metaphor for a page number on an e-reader.

#8 is a function of the e-ink refresh rate, so they could only improve that by improving the refresh rate, or using a separate one-line LCD text entry field (which would probably have some impact --maybe small?-- on battery life).

Great list though, where do I order?
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sony with BBeB (LRX & LRF) have come up with page numbers. Tells me what page out of the total pages... The book I am reading now shows 96 of 1258. And that changes with the font size. So yes it can be done. But to do it, Mobipocket would have to change all the readers and get people to update them. Not an easy task.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:38 AM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Make the connectivity modular with a choice of a Wifi or EVDO option. Won't happen of course because Sprint has factored in people like me who cannot get EVDO where we live yet we are/"would be" paying for others to have that connectivity. I would bet (complete WAG) but I would bet 20% of all Kindle users have none or marginal EVDO connectivity where they live.

Also for 400-bones I would like some more PDA like functionality. One big issue would be some software to do the NYTimes crossword puzzle. That crossword puzzle is one of the main reasons to sub to the paper. So buy Be Crossword or some other software and port it over the the Kindle's OS. This would also open another revenue stream for those would sub to only the crossword puzzles from the NYTimes or other papers that use the .puz format.

As it sits we are waiting to see what shakes out over the next 6-12 months. I am especially interested in the life expectancy of the device and it's failure rates. IN many respects Amazon is a new hardware vendor w/o a track record...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:24 AM   #14
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
line spacing?

Is there any way to adjust the line spacing? It would be nice to set the text to single spaced in order to get more text on a page and reduce the number of page turns.
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:49 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by resistor View Post
You do realize that EVDO is about 5x-10x faster than EDGE, depending on the variant your phone and your provider are using?
Certainly I do, but EDGE is perfectly acceptable for most practical applications - eg the iPhone happily uses it for streaming video from "YouTube". eBooks are not large - a bandwidth of a few hundred kbit/sec is perfectly adequate for downloading content.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote