Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
creeva
creeva began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I've tried plex and prefer XBMC with an SQL server - so I don't need a central XBMC server - the SQL server handles all of that. So with centralized XBMC there is no central "XBMC" server, just a standard SQL server that can be used for other tasks also. That model however does not take into account a storage server. There are no "local" files - just files in a centralized location somewhere.

In the iTunes scenario (with Home Sharing) you can see all libraries on your home share. You can browse by media type (Books, Movies, TV, Music) on all the other libraries that are currently connected. You can also play the media from the remote library without importing it into your own. You do however have the option of taking select files, all files, or files you don't currently have in your own library - and importing them into your own by just selecting what you want and choosing import.

At this point the song that was on your wife's computer and listening on your own desktop could then be imported into your laptop and taken with you on the go. You can then sync your iDevice to your laptop and have something even more mobile.

So that is why I viewed a simple idea would be to implement an ODS client into Calibre. If you could browse your "main" server and then import books into your laptop or other machine you could do it selectively by which books you want without having to manually export and copy outside of Calibre.

I guess my viewpoint, however you want to view it, is that families with multiple Calibre installations should have a peer architecture for sharing books. While the client server model is great - every machine should be both. If my wife downloads an ebooks I should not expect her to login into the server and import the book so I can later get it on my laptop. I should also not require her to export it or email it to me. Anything that requires her to exit Calibre should be considered a failure.

I can purchase books from Calibre and search multiple online book stores to find a book. I can't however search a machine that is sitting literally 3 feet away from me and might save me from buying something as a family we may already own.
creeva is offline   Reply With Quote