Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
anne5014
anne5014 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Post introduction

Hi all, I'm new to MobileRead and hope to get some help.
anne5014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Need help with anything specific?
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
cooljewel
cooljewel began at the beginning.

I too am new and trying to get the most out of my Nook Color. Can someone please explain what CM7 is? I see it posted but am totally lost. Also what is sideloading and Rooting. Please help me get the most out of my new toy.
cooljewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljewel View Post
I too am new and trying to get the most out of my Nook Color. Can someone please explain what CM7 is? I see it posted but am totally lost. Also what is sideloading and Rooting. Please help me get the most out of my new toy.
CM7 is CyanogenMod 7, it's a custom version of Android 2.3 Gingerbread that can be loaded to the Nook Color either overwriting the main operating system or run from a microSD card. A search will turn up tutorials and videos on how to do it.
http://www.cyanogenmod.com

Quote:
Rooting is a process allowing users of mobile phones, tablet PCs, and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's subsystem...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android_OS)

Sideloading is what you do when you add books via USB or download from sources other than B&N.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
cooljewel
cooljewel began at the beginning.

Thank you for the quick response.
Does doing these things void any warranties?
Is there away to get around the DRM message that I am getting when I try to download a kindle book?
I have been using calibre but am no longer able to download all the books I would like too.
Thanks for your help!!!
cooljewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
AFAIK rooting will void your warranty.

Putting CM7 on the devices main memory would too, but putting it on an SD leaves the actual device untouched and once you remove the card it's a stock Nook COlor again.

Kindle books are the wrong format and DRM scheme to work on a Nook of any kind. To use a Kindle book on a Nook you'd have to remove the DRM and convert it to ePub. It's against forum rules to discuss DRM removal techniques, but Googling 'Apprentice Alf' can help you there.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
I recently updated my ereader to a nook color and spent a few days playing around with the stock and then updating to the latest 1.4.1 firmware from B&N. Once I found the limitations, I looked around for a way to go around them.

I ended up with a 16GB microsdhc card set to be bootable into the CM7 firmware mentioned above. A normal power up will go directly to Android where I can run what I want, have market access, and customize to my heart's desire. If I want to boot to the original nook firmware, I can, and if I want to avoid the CM7 altogether, I just take out the microsdhc card.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote