Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #31
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Just did so again, just in case, but I'm afraid there is still no cigar. Nothing running except KIF.

I don't need to update the whitelist for this, yeah, that's only for update files?
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #32
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
I don't need to update the whitelist for this, yeah, that's only for update files?
That's right.
you may miss this post
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #33
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Tanga:
Does this also means that you are using notepad to create this scripts?

if this is the case, most probably your problem is here.

Please try with notepad++ (this makes quite difference)
No, I used Geany - and saved as .ini, and .sh respectively. They aren't txt files. I wish it were that simple. Sorry.

Maybe I am doing it wrong though (I can't figure out how), but maybe. Could someone else without the usb networking hack give it a go, maybe that's the deciding factor (since it seemed to work for you and inameiname - though perhaps not if you had already installed it previously. Do you get a 'Success' message from launchpad?

Last edited by Tanga; 01-06-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #34
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They aren't txt files.

then, I have no idea what is going on in your Kindle.
hope someone else help and you fix this.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #35
Tanga
Zealot

Oh, wait. Was I meant to copy the loadkeystore.sh file into the scripts folder?

EDIT: Just went back and read the .ini file, and based on what it says, I'm guessing not.

** Since the developer.keystore did disappear I'm guessing it's the write permissions that are the culprit - but the rw command should have taken care of that by my thinking...?

EDIT 2: Does the rw command have to be more specific about what is being made rw perhaps? Have you tried running it with the folder set on read only before you start?

Last edited by Tanga; 01-06-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #36
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Oh, wait. Was I meant to copy the loadkeystore.sh file into the scripts folder?
They should all go to your launchpad folder.

BTW: Just tried twice and seen that it works as expected (inameiname's loader)
Old 01-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #37
thomass
Wizard

Quote:

EDIT 2: Does the rw command have to be more specific about what is being made rw perhaps? Have you tried running it with the folder set on read only before you start?
As inameiname stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
BTW, while 'mntroot rw' and 'mntroot ro' is required for some of the scripts/commands, you don't need them for this one as the '/var' folder isn't root.
Actually it worked without rw .(used the script as it is)
Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #38
Tanga
Zealot

Oh damn, I copy pasted Inameiname's writing into Geany, and saved as. I thought they were identical, but it seems they were slightly different in size when I just used her linked files instead. I got a success message at any rate , so wish me luck. I'm restarting now.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #39
thomass
Wizard

Then?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #40
Tanga
Zealot

Oh, oh, oh! We have lift off. You are both my heroes. I think the script that you had me run may have unblocked something. Thank-you! Or I copied something wrong, or had an extra enter in the copied text from you guys, or something. I will do a step by step for the next noob who wants this. You are both awesome!

*Parties like it's 1999*
Old 01-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #41
Tanga
Zealot

PS - hehe - was that a 'Dude, Where's My Car' reference?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #42
thomass
Wizard

I'm happy to see that you solved this issue.
Enjoy
Old 01-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #43
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
You can't install two keystore files at the same time. That's why we need a merged keystore file. If you use update method to install a new one; in that case old one will be removed and related app wil no longer available. And to be able to use the update method the installer file should be in the form of update_*_*_install.bin. Also don't forget about the whitelist if you installed NiLuJe's jailbreak.

He didn't say this. He only mentions about installing with the ADQ's way which is update method of the KindleOS. As far as I understood he couldn't install a new keystore after that.
Tanga: Am I correct?
Gotcha. I was a tad confused myself.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #44
Tanga
Zealot

Talking

How to Update developer.keystore Without USBNetwork
Or Why tomass is a Big Damn Hero! (and inameiname and PoP)

• Install Jailbreak. I'm going to assume you know how to do that since you're in the Developer Section.
  • Install Launchpad if you haven't already (really, so awesome, adds so much more functionality to the Kindle, not just this (which is awesome enough)).
  • Download the files from here, as posted by inameiname (orginally by tomass) and copy it to the launchpad folder on your Kindle.
  • Restart your Kindle!
  • Laugh Maniacally.

You can install a whole mess of programs now, and they will work. I have installed all the ones above, and am about to go off in search of more, which I will link here.

This process can be repeated whenever there's an update of the developer.keystore file, so you're never again going to be limited in what programs you can run.

Last edited by Tanga; 01-06-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #45
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
As inameiname stated:

Actually it worked without rw .(used the script as it is)
Oh ok. I just remember it didn't for me, and I think where I got it from, the original maker had it included. No matter.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote