Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
shore_pk
Enthusiast
shore_pk began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle - where to purchase? best buy, target or amazon

Hi! I've decided to purchase the 3G version of the Kindle 3. Does anyone know if the version available in stores (best buy, target) is exactly the same as buying one from Amazon? This may be a stupid question but I know other products sometimes vary from one retailer to another.

Also, I would order from Amazon to save on tax but I don't want to have to wait too long to receive it and I've seen various discussions that lead me to think they are shipping out very slowly or are out of them. Can anyone advise about shipping times (US)?

TY,

Linda
shore_pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The Amazon webpage shows the kindles being 'in stock', shipping within the US shouldn't be a problem.

They do offer free shipping, for just about anything over $25, or you can choose two day shipping for an added charge.

I like ordering from Amazon because of their 30 return policy.....no questions asked and their CS is amazing. You won't be dealing with a part time sales clerk that knows nothing about the device.

Here is a page with more details.....The "contact us" button on the right lets you sign into your account, choose the 'call me' option, enter your phone number, and they call you right back if you come across any problems or have questions.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Amazon.

No tax. Free shipping. Great return policy.

EDIT, I have Amazon Prime shipping, so I get everything in 2 days or less. Free 2-day shipping on everything, regardless of price. Anything overnight is $3.99.

This helps and is WELL worth the $70/year cost. I had a 100 lb Weber grill shipped overnight for $3.99 last year. Hehehe.

Last edited by coolbreeze; 11-20-2010 at 11:03 PM.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
To answer your question, yes they are the same exact models. The only difference is the sales tax as indicated previously and also Amazon can and will preset the unit to your Amazon account.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
shore_pk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckeedoug View Post
also Amazon can and will preset the unit to your Amazon account.
Are you saying that if I buy it in the store Amazon will or won't preset the unit to my Amazon account?
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shore_pk View Post
Are you saying that if I buy it in the store Amazon will or won't preset the unit to my Amazon account?
They won't automatically register it for you if you're not buying it from Amazon.

They'll register it to whatever account you're purchasing it with. It should happen just before being shipped. If the Kindle is a gift then you can unregister it from the website without opening the box at all.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
shore_pk
Enthusiast

So if I buy it at the store can I register to my Amazon account? If not what abilities will I be missing out on?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
duckeedoug
Zealot

When you buy from a brick and Mortar store the unit will not be setup until you charge the unit via USB or the included charger and setting the unit up with your email/amazon account. When you purchase the unit at a cash register via Best Buy, Target or Staples Amazon has no idea who you are until you set the account via the Kindle interface. You loose no benefit at all except the additional step of setting the unit up yourself, which take all of 10 seconds to do and is very straight forward.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shore_pk View Post
So if I buy it at the store can I register to my Amazon account?
Yup. You just don't get the minor convenience of Amazon preregistering the Kindle. It takes about 30 seconds to do anyway yourself as you just type in your Amazon account details.

There is no hardware or software difference between the Amazon.com version and the store bought version.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
tbeltrans
tbeltrans is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DXG and K3
When you buy from a "brick and mortar" store, where do you return the Kindle if you have problems and who handles the first-tier support level?

I could have purchased locally from either Target or Best Buy, but felt more comfortable buying direct from Amazon. I already own a DXG, which I ordered direct from Amazon, so I figured having both devices from the same place under the same conditions (i.e. registered, warranty, etc) might be safer. Maybe this is not a true assumption? Anyway, I ordered mine on Friday and it will be here (Twin Cities) tomorrow.

Tony

Last edited by tbeltrans; 11-21-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
tbeltrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
hint: right now you can join Amazon Mom and get free two-day shipping (or next day for $3.99). Anyone can join, you don't have to prove your momhood.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
duckeedoug
Zealot

If purchased from a Brick and Mortar store and you have a hardware issue out of the box you can either return to the store or contact Amazon directly. Amazon will handle all of your technical support issues. If you can't wait for the one or two days in for Amazon to ship a replacement (if needed) unit then just return to the store for a replacement. Most stores offer a 30 day return, however target offers a 90 day return. It is really a matter of preference, logistics, comfort level and perhaps a bit of instant gratification.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
teegee543
teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.teegee543 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3
I'd buy it from a brick and mortar shop. I had really bad luck with quality control when I bought my Kindle 3 from Target. The first one I bought had some "dead pixels" where there was a permanent line near the bottom of the screen that was always black. The second had a sunken-in keyboard to the point that it made it difficult to press the keys.

The third kindle I got was thankfully free of hardware defects as far as I can tell, and is the one I'm currently using. Target customer service was fine through all the return processes and buying from a local brick and mortar got all this sorted out a lot faster than buying online.
teegee543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
techmobby
techmobby began at the beginning.

I totally agree with the contributers above.

A Kindle should be bought at Amazon.

Actually.. everything should be bought at Amazon. Amazon has more web traffic than all online stores in total, so people are starting to get it.

Last edited by techmobby; 06-23-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: wrote constituters instead of contributers, lol
techmobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My wife bought me a Kindle 3G from Wal Mart for Fathers Day. She also got the lighted cover there as well.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote