Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #91
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
I briefly looked over the thread to see if this matter had been discussed, but hadn't seen a mention. On my Galaxy Tab2 10.1, when selecting "Books with missing files", selecting to Delete All, even on a small list of entries, Calibre Companion 3 beta crashes and force closes. When returning back and manually deleting each book entry, deletion completes as expected and I can go on my merry way.

Edit: Also, when connected to Content Server with Calibre the Search Function is unavailable when browsing for content. The Search icon is present, but no response is had when pressed for use.

Last edited by Dhevi; 08-17-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #92
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
I briefly looked over the thread to see if this matter had been discussed, but hadn't seen a mention. On my Galaxy Tab2 10.1, when selecting "Books with missing files", selecting to Delete All, even on a small list of entries, Calibre Companion 3 beta crashes and force closes. When returning back and manually deleting each book entry, deletion completes as expected and I can go on my merry way.
I can't reproduce this with my Tab 10.1 using beta 2. I will send that version to you in hopes that it fixes your problem as well.
Quote:
Edit: Also, when connected to Content Server with Calibre the Search Function is unavailable when browsing for content. The Search icon is present, but no response is had when pressed for use.
Will be fixed in beta 3.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #93
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I can't reproduce this with my Tab 10.1 using beta 2. I will send that version to you in hopes that it fixes your problem as well.Will be fixed in beta 3.
Thank you, kindly. I'll keep you updated.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #94
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
My screen doesn't seem to refresh as well as yours does Chaley. It's not a lot slower but I have a problem with the way it seems to make the screen flash as new books pop up. It's my problem with blinking things I think. I guess I expected it to be more like scrolling a web page - once things are finally downloaded, you can scroll up and down easily with no change to the page. I switched to medium thumbnails and scroll slower to help me not get disoriented from seeing the "blinking".
As part of chasing down the "all shelves missing" and the "spurious books" problems (below), I have improved somewhat the performance of painting and reduced some of the flickering. It still paints on demand, but it might be easier on your eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Charles ... The issue first reported by Purple Lady still exists on my device. See attached shots.

I just thought you might like to know.
I would rather not being in the position where you had to tell me, but as we are there, it is better to know.

I think I have fixed this. I say "think I" because I can't reproduce it, but it is completely clear where the problem must be. I decided to rewrite it, simplifying some of the decision process inside CC.

In the process I have improved painting performance and reduced some flickering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
In Cover view I can see spurious covers (number varies) after the last book in the bottom row. It only happens if I fling from top to bottom. One fling covers all 71 of my books. If I scroll more slowly it doesn't happen. No switching between Portrait/Landscape is necessary to reproduce. I can only make it happen when size is Med/Large, maybe because with Small they all fit on one screen and with Normal they still fit on <2 screens.
This I could reproduce, and I have fixed what I could see. I also found some problems that might have caused the wrong cover to be placed into the middle of a shelf. This implementation scrolls more smoothly and appears to paint faster.

I will release a beta 3 once Steven makes an official version. That may happen on Monday.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #95
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Since my new tablet has the space I went ahead and transferred my finished library of 9830 books to my tablet. Of course it makes the All by Author User collection a little impractical, but CC does handle that group without any noticeable slow down.
Well, that is certainly pushing the envelope. I am very glad that it works. I suspect that it would have trouble on a lower-spec device.

How long does it take to connect as a wireless device?

Is there any noticeable slowdown when grouping by (for example) tags or series? What about sorting?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #96
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
How long does it take to connect as a wireless device?
Completely connect to calibre in under 6 minutes.

Update: With everything freshly restarted it took 4 minutes and 20 seconds to connect wirelessly to calibre.

Quote:
Is there any noticeable slowdown when grouping by (for example) tags or series? What about sorting?
About 1-1.5 seconds to go from group to group and the same to change from one sort to another.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-17-2013 at 10:17 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #97
Dhevi
Zealot

After installing the beta 2 on my Tab 2 the Delete All problem persists. I also installed the beta 2 on my S3, and where on the prior official release of caliber companion the Delete All was working as intended perhaps but 10 minutes prior, the problem was recreated on the S3.

Perhaps more detail might provide insight.

1. Both devices are set the download to external SD card.
2. Both devices are attempting to delete an epub file.
3. Deletion of the files individually completes successfully.
4. Regardless of the number of books with missing files attempted to delete, the error is generated.
5. Tablet is running 4.1.1 and the phone 4.1.2.

Last edited by Dhevi; 08-17-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #98
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
After installing the beta 2 on my Tab 2 the Delete All problem persists. I also installed the beta 2 on my S3, and where on the prior official release of caliber companion the Delete All was working as intended perhaps but 10 minutes prior, the problem was recreated on the S3.

Perhaps more detail might provide insight.

1. Both devices are set the download to external SD card.
2. Both devices are attempting to delete an epub file.
3. Deletion of the files individually completes successfully.
4. Regardless of the number of books with missing files attempted to delete, the error is generated.
5. Tablet is running 4.1.1 and the phone 4.1.2.
By any chance are you looking at the missing books using the cover grid view?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #99
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@Dhevi: assuming that you were using the cover grid view when looking at missing books, I have replicated and fixed the problem.

Thanks for your persistence.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #100
Dhevi
Zealot

Quote:
@Dhevi: assuming that you were using the cover grid view when looking at missing books, I have replicated and fixed the problem.

Thanks for your persistence.
... You would be correct, sir!

Smacks head. That was an item I did not think to toggle between list and cover view. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #101
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't use search since you have built in one-click search for all of the exposed items ie. tags, authors, series.

As a test I used authors:asimov and I found that this search worked as I expected when I started with "no grouping" but when I was in the All by Author user collection it stated it found 19 matches but never changed the grid view to show the matches.

I attached the results of some searches. The only thing that confuses me about these searches is the drawer stating 19 matches found but then not displaying the books. I would have thought on the first 3 examples it would have said 0 matches found in the drawer (since I started in an area that didn't have the book) or ignore where I started and show the books.

The 5th image I was in Authors: authors to start the search and it was the only search besides no grouping that showed the 19 books. Which makes sense to me.

The last image shows the search from no groups.

I'll let you determine if this is a bug or standard operating procedure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-17-21-13-04.png
Views:	270
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	109574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-17-21-18-19.png
Views:	287
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	109575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-17-21-22-01.png
Views:	274
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	109576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-17-21-51-04.png
Views:	278
Size:	904.5 KB
ID:	109578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-17-22-00-39.png
Views:	285
Size:	857.4 KB
ID:	109579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-18-05-20-47.png
Views:	266
Size:	856.7 KB
ID:	109580  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-18-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #102
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I don't use search since you have built in one-click search for all of the exposed items ie. tags, authors, series.

As a test I used authors:asimov and I found that this search worked as I expected when I started with "no grouping" but when I was in the All by Author user collection it stated it found 19 matches but never changed the grid view to show the matches.

I attached the results of some searches. The only thing that confuses me about these searches is the drawer stating 19 matches found but then not displaying the books. I would have thought on the first 3 examples it would have said 0 matches found in the drawer (since I started in an area that didn't have the book) or ignore where I started and show the books.

The 5th image I was in Authors: authors to start the search and it was the only search besides no grouping that showed the 19 books. Which makes sense to me.

The last image shows the search from no groups.

I'll let you determine if this is a bug or standard operating procedure.
Another interesting problem, one that has probably been there forever.

The problem arises because user collections are different beasts from anything else in CC. They are (as you know) lists of arbitrary books supplied by calibre. Couple this with the fact that one cannot search on the subset of the library specified by the current search results and we have the problem you see, which is a bug. We cannot simultaneously be filtering by a user collection and a search. They are mutually exclusive.

I see two ways to fix this.

1) Currently selecting any other group "cancels" the implied user collection search. We could have doing a search do the same thing, returning the drawer to its outermost state. Of course, we would also need to clear any search if a user collection is specified. This is the easiest to implement.

2) We could disable searching while a user category is selected. This is harder to do because we would need to deal with disabling the various parts of the search "button" as well as the need to cancel any existing search.

Is #1 OK?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #103
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Another interesting problem, one that has probably been there forever.
...~~~...
1) Currently selecting any other group "cancels" the implied user collection search. We could have doing a search do the same thing, returning the drawer to its outermost state. Of course, we would also need to clear any search if a user collection is specified. This is the easiest to implement.

Is #1 OK?
#1 is fine with me. Since I can now easily replicate the ABA in the no grouping list with some quick sorts. This means my only user category is going away.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #104
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
So no significant stats on Nexus 7 tilapia? That's what I have.
Very much but ...

I got a copy of the raw device stats. There are 730 distinct devices running CC. Of those, 192 are made by Samsung. 288 devices have 1 CC user.

Here are the Google devices:
Code:
Google Galaxy Nexus (toro)   0.5%
Google Nexus 10 (manta)      2.1%
Google Nexus 4 (mako)        2.3%
Google Nexus 7 (deb)         0.0%
Google Nexus 7 (flo)         1.3%
Google Nexus 7 (grouper)    21.6%
Google Nexus 7 (tilapia)     1.6%
Google Nexus S (crespo)      0.1%
Google Nexus S (crespo4g)    0.0%
The top 30 ordered by number of installs:
Code:
Google Nexus 7 (grouper)                   21.6%
Samsung Galaxy Tab II 7.0 (espressowifi)    3.8%
Samsung Galaxy Tab II 10.1 (espresso10wifi) 3.6%
Samsung Galaxy S III (m0)                   2.9%
Google Nexus 4 (mako)                       2.3%
Google Nexus 10 (manta)                     2.1%
Barnes and Noble NOOK HD+ (ovation)         2.0%
Asus TF700T (TF700T)                        2.0%
Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-I9100)              1.9%
Asus ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T (TF300T)   1.7%
Google Nexus 7 (tilapia)                    1.6%
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (p4notewifiww)     1.5%
Kobo Arc (zeus)                             1.5%
Asus EeePad Transformer TF101 (TF101)       1.4%
Samsung Galaxy S III (d2vzw)                1.3%
Samsung Galaxy Note II (t03g)               1.3%
Google Nexus 7 (flo)                        1.3%
Asus TF201 (TF201)                          1.2%
Samsung Galaxy Note (GT-N7000)              1.2%
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (p4notewifi)       1.1%
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (p4noterf)         1.1%
Samsung Galaxy S 4 (jflte)                  1.0%
GT-P7510                                    0.9%
Samsung Galaxy S III (d2att)                0.9%
Barnes and Noble NOOK HD (hummingbird)      0.9%
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (maguro)               0.9%
encore                                      0.9%
Samsung Galaxy S III (d2spr)                0.8%
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (konawifi)          0.8%
Acer Picasso (picasso)                      0.8%

The same top 30 ordered by device name:
Code:
Acer Picasso (picasso)                      0.8%
Asus ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T (TF300T)   1.7%
Asus EeePad Transformer TF101 (TF101)       1.4%
Asus TF201 (TF201)                          1.2%
Asus TF700T (TF700T)                        2.0%
Barnes and Noble NOOK HD (hummingbird)      0.9%
Barnes and Noble NOOK HD+ (ovation)         2.0%
encore                                      0.9%
Google Nexus 10 (manta)                     2.1%
Google Nexus 4 (mako)                       2.3%
Google Nexus 7 (flo)                        1.3%
Google Nexus 7 (grouper)                   21.6%
Google Nexus 7 (tilapia)                    1.6%
GT-P7510                                    0.9%
Kobo Arc (zeus)                             1.5%
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (maguro)               0.9%
Samsung Galaxy Note (GT-N7000)              1.2%
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (p4noterf)         1.1%
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (p4notewifi)       1.1%
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (p4notewifiww)     1.5%
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (konawifi)          0.8%
Samsung Galaxy Note II (t03g)               1.3%
Samsung Galaxy S 4 (jflte)                  1.0%
Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-I9100)              1.9%
Samsung Galaxy S III (d2att)                0.9%
Samsung Galaxy S III (d2spr)                0.8%
Samsung Galaxy S III (d2vzw)                1.3%
Samsung Galaxy S III (m0)                   2.9%
Samsung Galaxy Tab II 10.1 (espresso10wifi) 3.6%
Samsung Galaxy Tab II 7.0 (espressowifi)    3.8%
Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #105
snoozer
Connoisseur
snoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windowssnoozer format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation, Lenovo c330 Chromebook
Thought I would chime in real quick. I am using a Nook HD with cm 10.1 with books stored on ext card and everything seems to be working great so far. Really like the new features.
snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote