Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Suggestions for Firmware V1.5?

Well, it's been almost three weeks since V1.4 was released, so I think enough time has passed that we can start anxiously awaiting the next release. To get us all in the mood, I thought we could have a "shout-out" thread to Kobo about the stuff we'd like to see in the next release.

For me, I'd like to see the following:
  1. On option to supress the auto-off feature, or stretch the time to something way bigger than 15 minutes.
  2. Bring back the cover on "off".
  3. Support the metadata tags for "Series Name" and "Book # in Series" in the library.
  4. Add a feature to create one or more TBR lists, manually maintained.

Anyone else want to try?
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Mimzy
Mimzy began at the beginning.

I prefer looking at my books by author (since I have a couple series on mine) so I would like it if you could set sorting by author as a default so I didn't have to reselect it every time. (And if there is already a way to do this, I apologize.)

I would also like it if I could delete only a few of the pre-loaded books (I hate Huck Finn so freaking much), but I understand that they come as a group package. It would just be sort of nice.
Mimzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Well, it's been almost three weeks since V1.4 was released, so I think enough time has passed that we can start anxiously awaiting the next release. To get us all in the mood, I thought we could have a "shout-out" thread to Kobo about the stuff we'd like to see in the next release.

For me, I'd like to see the following:
  1. On option to supress the auto-off feature, or stretch the time to something way bigger than 15 minutes.
  2. Bring back the cover on "off".
  3. Support the metadata tags for "Series Name" and "Book # in Series" in the library.
  4. Add a feature to create one or more TBR lists, manually maintained.

Anyone else want to try?
I'd like all of that AND to be able to remove books from the "I'm Reading" list without having to delete them off my reader. I just want them to stay in my library...where they belong
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

Multi-language support in the menus, etc. Wouldn't be that difficult to translate with translation files. I can even make it in French if they need it...
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
I posted something similar in another thread but here goes:
* auto power off as an option
* remove books from I'm Reading
* jump to page, and/or long press of navigation buttons to skip 10 pages
* clock in any popup menus
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I would like the Kobo to revert to the last page read on power-up. It would make restarting the Kobo less painful. This could be a "Power-On" option: Last page read or "I'm Reading" menu.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
I wouldn't mind seeing the ability to filter the list of books as well - maybe provide a list of authors, or series (if that is added), select the author, then only show books from that author until you "view all books" (i.e., have it last through power off/on cycles!).

I've got over 200 books on my kobo now, and even with the letters at the top to skip around some, it can still be somewhat of a pain to move through the list of books to find one in particular.

The other thing I wouldn't mind seeing is the ability to change the size of the provided font-sizes - i.e. instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5em (for example), change it to 0.75, 1.5, 2.25, 3, 3.75em.

and definitely would also love to see it revert to the last page opened on startup, it is annoying that it switches to the "I'm reading" page by default.
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
Some way of dealing with margins in pdf files - either finer control in scrolling, or ideally if there were some way for it to auto-detect where the text/images start and ignore most of the white margin space. Most of my pdfs would be legible if I could zoom the actual content to fit the screen width. Would almost negate the need for pdf re-flow which will probably not work very well on pdfs with images.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
Flyingpig
Flyingpig began at the beginning.

Errr.
I'd like to see two things.
1. External font references in epub file.
2. PDF reflow if possible as this one seems to be a little bit hard though
Flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Not so much as a feature I would like to see but a distribution suggestion. Could the firmware update be made available for download to an SD card?

I believe that would make updating firmware far less a perilous exercise than via the current USB mode.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
The things I'd like to see have all been mentioned, but I'll mention them again just so Kobo knows how many of us want certain things!

1. I'd like to be able to keep books I've bought on my reader without having them appear back on the I'm Reading list everytime I sync a new purchase. I think having to remove them from the website is ridiculous, and the fact that that means it won't be on my reader is insane as well...I bought it, I want it left on my reader until I decide to remove it.

2. I want the covers back when the device is off. This was one of my favourite features and I'm annoyed that it's gone.

3. I'd like the auto-off feature to be stretched to a time longer than 15 minutes. The feature itself doesn't bother me, but I don't like how it's only 15 minutes.

4. I'd also like to see the start-up time reduced if at all possible. It might just be me, but it seems like it's way slower now than it was before the upgrade.

5. The idea of automatically jumping to the last page you were reading upon start-up is a great idea as well.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
My wishlist is simple - I only want 2 things:
1. To return to the last page I was reading so that the power on process doesn't seem to take so long.
2. For the sleep mode to last longer than 15 minutes. Although if the start up time was improved that wouldn't be so important.

I was originally disappointed at with the cover image no longer being there but now I realise that I only look at my Kobo when I'm reading it. When it's turned off I really don't care what it looks like.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

what i want it basicaly all of what you guys said. But i'm confused about one of them, i dunno if it's me but my kobo starts up at my last page...
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealWinter View Post
what i want it basicaly all of what you guys said. But i'm confused about one of them, i dunno if it's me but my kobo starts up at my last page...
Only coming out of sleep mode, if you start it up from Powered off you end up at the I'm reading page.

+1 for going to where you were, I like this idea, if I wish to go to "I'm reading" then I will do it manually.

What I would like is

1. Covers back on the kobo (been confirmed hasn't it?)
2. More quotes
3. Improved boot time (seems slower on 1.4)
4. I'm reading list management, the ability to remove or modify books on the I'm reading list on the Kobo (not in the software).
5. Sort by date uploaded (would make finding Calibre news that is uploaded eaiser, though might not work with sync)
6. PDF reflow.
7. Ability to look at the Overview of a book without starting it, or even better ability to look at the metadata of a book without starting it.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #15
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
you know a workaround for the 'im reading' page is to go to the last page of the new books you've bought in the kobo software (or whatever you use) then open them on your kobo and flick a page to mark it as read... voila! gone.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote