Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #16
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
As a VERY happy Libra owner, my opinion of the Sage is that seems interesting enough to consider, and if the "Aye Carumba, where have you been all my life, ereader of my dreams?" reviews here outnumber both the "begone fowl Spawn of Satan!" and the "much ado about nothing much" reviews by a large enough margin, I'll probably get one.
Just bear in mind that the folks here who tend to be early adopters tend to get a new device every cycle, which is obviously going to reduce the impact on their reviews.

I’ll try to offer up one and use the H2O I have as contrast point in addition to the Forma. Sadly I gave my KA1 to an aunt so I can’t offer a direct comparison aside from my memory of the device.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:06 PM   #17
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Just bear in mind that the folks here who tend to be early adopters tend to get a new device every cycle

That's why I said the number of raves here is important. A large number of reviews will take time to build up, giving time for the "ooh new shiny!" reviews to fade. the MR crew is VERY fussy, and if the Sages wows enough of cognoscenti here, that will be a big plus. It will be especially interesting to see longer term reviews of the impact of the added weight. I'm in no rush to buy one any time this calendar year.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2021, 11:38 PM   #18
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What are the differences, effective, apparent, or whatever, between the screens? (Mobius vs Carta.) Let's ignore the pen capability of the Sage.

The Forma is listed as "8.0” HD 300 PPI Mobius E Ink flush touchscreen, 1440 × 1920 resolution" and the Sage as "8” HD flush E Ink Carta 1200 touchscreen, 300 PPI, 1440 x 1920 resolution with Dark Mode".

So both are 300 PPI and 1440x1920.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:06 AM   #19
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
What are the differences, effective, apparent, or whatever, between the screens? (Mobius vs Carta.) Let's ignore the pen capability of the Sage.

The Forma is listed as "8.0” HD 300 PPI Mobius E Ink flush touchscreen, 1440 × 1920 resolution" and the Sage as "8” HD flush E Ink Carta 1200 touchscreen, 300 PPI, 1440 x 1920 resolution with Dark Mode".

So both are 300 PPI and 1440x1920.

So main points for comparisons between the two would be:

1. Screen contrasts
2. Light diffusin on screen
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:10 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Yeah, that's my hope. It can't be too different of a format, even if we have to change file extensions or something. But, as you say, the wording seems pretty clear about using Kobo audiobooks.
I'm fairly sure this means that the device won't scan for audiobooks and import them like it does for ebooks. When the devices are in our hands someone will look to see if there is a way sideload audiobooks.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2021, 01:26 AM   #21
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
So main points for comparisons between the two would be:

1. Screen contrasts
2. Light diffusin on screen
Dark mode is officially supported which I suppose is an aspect of the increased contrast, but given its popularity here I think it’s justified as a separate point.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:06 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Dark mode is officially supported which I suppose is an aspect of the increased contrast, but given its popularity here I think it’s justified as a separate point.
No, that is an aspect of having the appropriate waveforms for the screens to do Dark Mode properly. It is not supported on the pre-Elipsa devices as the waveforms were never created.

The improvement in contrast is something is being claimed for the Carta 1200 panels. But, I don't remember what panel they were comparing it to.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #23
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
One of the nice things about the Forma was the seemingly magical battery life, despite having a smaller battery. It was a clear improvement over previous generation Kobo models and much better than the Oasis 2 or KA1.

I am concerned that the new faster multi-core processor (and presumably, expanded ram.) will have a significant impact on battery life, even if being used only as an e-reader. I fully expect the device will be able to outlast any of my single day reading marathons, and be able to charge in the time I take the much needed shower afterwards. But is it nice to have a reader I can carry around for weeks and never even have to think about charging or checking battery.

I'm in no great hurry to buy another e-reader, (which I need about as much as a hole in the head,), but I suspect this time around, if I do get one of these, it will be the Libra2

Edit: On the more positive side.... no matter the marketing spin, contrast/sharpness on e-ink is still *far* from a good quality book. Any improvement in that regard from Carta 1200, even if it's marginal, will be greatly appreciated if I can perceive it.

Last edited by rashkae; 10-08-2021 at 09:00 AM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #24
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
The Sage looks like a very nice ereader. The screen appearance and the power button could be better than the Forma’s and I’m fine with the change to USB-C. I don’t care at all about audio or dark mode, but I don’t object to their existence.

However, the ergonomics of the Forma are almost magical to me. The weight, the shape, the groove where my thumb rests, the fact that the weight is concentrated right above my hand and not spread across the screen to pull it off balance, and the non-slip finish make it the only ereader I’ve ever been able to comfortably hold in one hand (despite the fact that it’s one of the largest and heaviest of all my ereaders).

I bought a second Forma a few months ago because I was afraid it would be discontinued. I don’t need another ereader this year but I’m afraid the Sage might signal the end of the line for the mobius screen and form factor of the Forma and I’m very sad about that.

All that said, I’m apparently an ereader junkie so I’ll probably cave and order a Sage anyway. Does anyone know if it has a non-slip surface?

I don’t know what it is about ereaders that makes me keep buying them; my phone is four years old, my main tablet is six years old, and my laptop is eleven years old and in dire need of replacement.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:18 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post

I don’t know what it is about ereaders that makes me keep buying them; my phone is four years old, my main tablet is six years old, and my laptop is eleven years old and in dire need of replacement.
That's indeed a bit strange, but it depends on how much time you spend with these devices. My lust for new gadgets extends besides ereaders to laptops and tablets (which I spend much of my day with, have more than one in use and replace regularly), but not to phones or TV sets (my phone is 3,5 years old, my TV 7 years old. Both still work very well and until they do, I'm not going to replace them.)
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:05 PM   #26
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
I bought a second Forma a few months ago because I was afraid it would be discontinued. I don’t need another ereader this year but I’m afraid the Sage might signal the end of the line for the mobius screen and form factor of the Forma and I’m very sad about that.

All that said, I’m apparently an ereader junkie so I’ll probably cave and order a Sage anyway. Does anyone know if it has a non-slip surface?
The Sage, while heavier, is still basically the form factor of the Forma. Just doesn’t taper off on one side. Which I’m on the fence about how much it’s going to matter when holding it.

As to the non slip back, from the videos of the Libra 2 I’ve seen it’s got at least some texture, different than either the Forma or the Libra H2O but still something. I’d be very surprised if the Sage didn’t have the same or similar backing. I think the last Kobo with a smooth back was the Aura H2O. As to the material I’d bet it’s similar rubber to the Forma and Libra (possibly the Clara HD and Nia I just don’t pay them much attention).
Old 10-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The improvement in contrast is something is being claimed for the Carta 1200 panels. But, I don't remember what panel they were comparing it to.
The contrast and speed increases were given relative to the Carta 1000 panels.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #28
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As to the non slip back, from the videos of the Libra 2 I’ve seen it’s got at least some texture, different than either the Forma or the Libra H2O but still something. I’d be very surprised if the Sage didn’t have the same or similar backing. I think the last Kobo with a smooth back was the Aura H2O. As to the material I’d bet it’s similar rubber to the Forma and Libra (possibly the Clara HD and Nia I just don’t pay them much attention).
I do have an original Libra but even though the back is textured I still find it somewhat slippery, and the front is very slippery, unlike the Forma (mine is white if that makes a difference) and of course the weight is distributed differently. I tried using it without a cover but my fingers cramped because I was holding it so tightly. With the cover, it's much heavier than the bare Forma, and I have weak hands. I like the power button but that's about it. When I go out (which I don't much nowadays) I take my Clara, or a six inch Kindle, because they're smaller.

I don't know what made me think of this but many years ago we used to eat at Chili's frequently and they served Coke in heavy glass mugs. At some point they changed to mugs that looked the same but were made of lightweight plastic. Every time I picked one up I felt like I was going to accidentally toss it over my shoulder because it was so much lighter than I was expecting. When I first got the Forma it was the same feeling. Some people compare it unfavorably to what they see as the much more expensive-feeling Oasis but I love it.

It's probably only a matter of days (hours?) though until I order a Sage.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #29
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:

It's probably only a matter of days (hours?) though until I order a Sage.
Lol, well if you can hold off until the one I ordered gets here I can provide answers to any questions (except regarding the sleep cover as I’m holding out for the power cover if anything). And I can compare the backing to the Forma then.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #30
disconnected
Fanatic

Quote:
Lol, well if you can hold off until the one I ordered gets here I can provide answers to any questions (except regarding the sleep cover as I’m holding out for the power cover if anything). And I can compare the backing to the Forma then.
Thanks. My impulse control isn't what it should be, so I don't think I'll be able to wait that long.

I've given up on Kobo cases though. The last one I liked was the red flip-style one for the Clara. Later ones I tried all seemed to be flimsy, and some had bubbled and mottled surfaces. I don't care for the Origami style because it never seems to work as well as a separate stand -- and I have lots of those in many styles and sizes