Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
DirCat
Enthusiast
DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Copying CC library between devices

I want to use CC on two devices: my tablet (where I read my books) and my phone (where I want to upload the books to read). To copy between the devices, I plan on using a cloud-based two-way sync for the books.

I had this setup done and copied the books from my tablet (via the cloud service) to my phone and changed the phone's CC directory to the copied directory, but the books aren't showing up in the phone's CC library.

Is there a way to do something like that? Thanks!
DirCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:50 PM   #2
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
CC doesn't work this way.
Book source should be Calibre app on computer.
It's Calibre Companion after all.
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #3
DirCat
Enthusiast
DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.

I know that the books are on the computer. I used CC to get the books on one tablet. Now I want to access those CC books on a different tablet by just copying the files from one tablet's directory to the other tablet's directory in the background using a file sync app instead of using CC (which I think has to be done in the foreground.

(If I can download books in the background with CC, then I guess I don't actually need this...)
Old 10-22-2021, 11:10 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not direct: Use Calibre

connect ONLY Source Tablet (can be by Wireless device mode or USB): Calibre will soo show OnDevice marks. Search ondevice:true (shows only those); Select All, Cntrl-M (Mark selected )
Disconnect (and clear Search )

Connect New Tablet: Ctrl-Shift-M (Show Marked books): Select All: Send to Device
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirCat View Post
I know that the books are on the computer. I used CC to get the books on one tablet. Now I want to access those CC books on a different tablet by just copying the files from one tablet's directory to the other tablet's directory in the background using a file sync app instead of using CC (which I think has to be done in the foreground.
You can't do what you want with CC. A book must be in CC's database or as far as CC is concerned it doesn't exist. The book folders are not the database.

If you exactly copied the CC library folders from one device to another then you can get CC to "see" them by doing a backup of CC's database on the source machine and a restore on the destination machine. There is no built-in way to automate that process. I don't know if you could do it with something like Tasker.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
DirCat
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone! I finally just went and bought a cheap used tablet which I will upload all of my books to, then read from it until I can upload all the books to my main tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not direct: Use Calibre

connect ONLY Source Tablet (can be by Wireless device mode or USB)
Would it be faster to connect through USB? I would think that it would...
Old 11-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #7
jvorzimmer
Enthusiast
jvorzimmer began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Would it be faster to connect through USB? I would think that it would...
Unfortunately CC can't be used via USB. What you want to do is possible. In fact, I've done myself several times in the last nine years. You just skipped an important step.

As chaley indicated above you need to duplicate the library on the first device. Doing this is a three-step process. First, backup the library on the first device. Second, copy the backup file and the entire directory structure to the second device and restore the backup from the first device on the second. Third, in CC go to Settings > Formats and folders and change the location, if necessary, to the new location.

If the library is on an external SD and even if the directory structure is the same, you will still have to reselect the directory on the card since the UUIDs of the two cards will be different and will appear as something like storage/NNNN-NNNN/Books with NNNN-NNNN being the specific UUID of each SD Card.

Then you can sync both libraries to the same source Calibre library.

Last edited by jvorzimmer; 11-24-2021 at 02:51 PM. Reason: fixed typos
jvorzimmer is offline   Reply With Quote