Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
GibbinR
Connoisseur
GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad mini 5, Kindle Oasis 3
Dictionary popup overwrites annotation menu at bottom of page

I spend a certain amount of time producing epubs of out-of copyright novels.
I like to finally check through the epub by annotating/highlighting the final draft on an e-reader.
I would like to do this on my PRS-T1, but I find that if I try to, say, highlight a word or phrase on the bottom two or three lines of the screen, the dictionary definition of the highlighted word pops up and overwrites the actual highlighted word or phrase before I can select precisely what I need to.
So in reality I am still using my reliable, but now quite old, PRS-650 for this purpose.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Is there any way round it? (I have looked, but can't find any setting that seems relevant)
Does it also happen on the PRS-T2, if I should decide to upgrade?
GibbinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I agree that it can be difficult to highlight the last few lines of text on the T1. It is the same on the T2. One workaround is to change the font size temporarily so that the words appear on a different location on the screen.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Perhaps I have misunderstood you, but I don't find that I have this problem on a T1.

My experience is that if you touch a word on the bottom few lines, including the last, the dictionary definition pops up as you say and covers the selected word, but for me the "Highlight", "Add Note", etc. menu pops up a little higher on the page above the dictionary. Even though the touched word is now covered by the dictionary pop up and so cannot be seen, if I select "Highlight", "Add Note", etc. the highlight, note, etc. is applied to the word that was touched.

Removing a highlight or note works in the same way.

EDIT: Forget to mention how it works for me for phrases; is just the same, but touch and hold the first word of the phrase, the dictionary pops up and covers, pause a moment and then drag, the dictionary disappears leaving me to select the rest of the phrase.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 07-10-2013 at 06:38 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, it's phrases that I find frustrating sometimes especially on the last line. That's good advice to pause and remember not to lift your finger from the screen. Thanks!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
GibbinR
Connoisseur
GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad mini 5, Kindle Oasis 3
The advice you both gave works on my PRS-T1 too. Thanks to you both
GibbinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert