Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2021, 03:37 AM   #151
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No, it isn't.
someone did mentioned a few weeks back his kpw3 was from 5.13.6 back to the really old 5.8.9

simply downgrade, and not jailbreak or something
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #152
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can't downgrade Kindles, though it works with a Kobo, without some sort of jailbreak. Some versions FW / models can't be jailbroken.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:05 AM   #153
mobilis
drowned in old books
mobilis is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I absolutely, utterly LOATHE this update.

I even tried resetting and losing my data in a last ditch effort to revert it.

Is there ANY way to undo it? It's made my favorite device unusable. I'll have to buy a new one second-hand and keep it in airplane mode if I can't undo this.

It's completely dishonest for them to force this cr*p on us and not let us revert it...

Is there any way to revert the update? I'm not rich enough to be buying a new device...

Last edited by mobilis; 09-14-2021 at 12:57 AM. Reason: typo
mobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:12 AM   #154
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilis View Post
Is there any way to revert the update?
Unfortunately not, unless your device was jailbroken.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:05 AM   #155
mobilis
drowned in old books

Quote:
Unfortunately not, unless your device was jailbroken.

I have one other Kindle (used to read stuff on my sister's account.). It's a regular Kindle, nothing fancy. The kind they used to put on sale for fifty dollars once or twice a year. Is there any way to manually delete the WiFi settings to prevent it auto updating? I don't trust airplane mode.

Do you think there's any possibility of someone cracking how to revert my updated one??
Old 09-14-2021, 02:54 AM   #156
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have one other Kindle (used to read stuff on my sister's account.). It's a regular Kindle, nothing fancy. The kind they used to put on sale for fifty dollars once or twice a year. Is there any way to manually delete the WiFi settings to prevent it auto updating? I don't trust airplane mode.
Reset it to factory settings and don't enter your wifi password again. Then it'll have no way of going online, unless there is an unsecured wifi network close at hand. The downside of this method is that you cannot register the Kindle. Among other things the use of collections is unavailable on an unregistered Kindle.

Quote:
Do you think there's any possibility of someone cracking how to revert my updated one??
Personally I think the possibility is pretty small. AFAIK there has never been a way to downgrade a non-jailbroken Kindle. But then, who knows what the future will bring.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:30 AM   #157
mobilis
drowned in old books

Quote:
Reset it to factory settings and don't enter your wifi password again. Then it'll have no way of going online, unless there is an unsecured wifi network close at hand. The downside of this method is that you cannot register the Kindle. Among other things the use of collections is unavailable on an unregistered Kindle.

Personally I think the possibility is pretty small. AFAIK there has never been a way to downgrade a non-jailbroken Kindle. But then, who knows what the future will bring.
Will it ever be possible to jail break the new? Sorry, I don't understand how any of this works. Thank you for advising me...
Old 09-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #158
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Will it ever be possible to jail break the new?
Sorry, no idea. I don't jailbreak my Kindles and so am not competent enough to make a guess.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:19 PM   #159
Gripweed
Enthusiast
Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: PW5-v11
What is it about this update that you so object to? After using it for a short time I realized that if I stay away from the Home screen it really is not that much different than the prior version.
Gripweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #160
moshano
moshano doesn't littermoshano doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripweed View Post
What is it about this update that you so object to? After using it for a short time I realized that if I stay away from the Home screen it really is not that much different than the prior version.
Yeah, I like it for the most part... Reading some comments one may think this is a tablet instead of an e-reader... How much time do you spend in the home screen and menus?
moshano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:31 PM   #161
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshano View Post
Yeah, I like it for the most part... Reading some comments one may think this is a tablet instead of an e-reader... How much time do you spend in the home screen and menus?
It doesn't matter how much time. It's the principle. Why take something away and replace it with empty space? Are they afraid people get claustrophobia from using the list view with 8 rows instead of 4?

It's the same attitude as the Windows 11 start menu. When you disable the recommended apps in the start menu, you don't get more room for your favorite shortcuts. You'll get empty space. It's beyond stupid.

Last edited by Sirtel; 09-15-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:18 AM   #162
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Why take something away and replace it with empty space? Are they afraid people get claustrophobia from using the list view with 8 rows instead of 4?
I suspect that the reason for having fewer books per screen is that it is an intermediate step toward having cover thumbnails appear in list view. That was shown by Amazon to be coming to Kindles later this year.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:52 AM   #163
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I suspect that the reason for having fewer books per screen is that it is an intermediate step toward having cover thumbnails appear in list view. That was shown by Amazon to be coming to Kindles later this year.
Another ridiculous decision. There's the cover view for that.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to live with these updates eventually. Still, it feels good to rant about them. It's not like anyone I know in real life would even know what I'm talking about. Most of my friends and family have never even seen an ereader. Thank the gods for MR.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #164
Gripweed
Enthusiast
Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: PW5-v11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripweed View Post
Now that I look at my message here I see that I failed to make it clear that it was directed at Mobilis, the person that wrote
Quote:
I absolutely, utterly LOATHE this update.
Gripweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:23 AM   #165
mnju
mnju began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
So I had to buy a book that was only available for Kindle (6 mb azw), the first - at probably last - book I bought since the 5.13.7 update. It's been stuck as "unindexed" for a couple of days now, draining my PW battery. Why doesn't Amazon fix bugs instead of changing things for the sake of change?
mnju is offline   Reply With Quote