Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Upgrade path from Boox Note?

Hi Everyone,

I have the original Boox Note and I am happy with it apart from the lack of frontlight, which means that the display is at times not quite contrasty enough for me, and obviously that I need an external light source for nighttime reading.

I want to have something of a similar size and with a stylus for marking up documents. I also like the freedom of having Android apps and Dropbox on board in particular, as well as the webserver app for adding documents. Ease of use with adding content is very important.

Should I go with a later Boox Note model or are there other contenders I should consider? It's quite a while since I looked at the ereader market.

Thanks.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
A newer Boox Note 3 or Note Air is the best fit. They are the ones that have the best styluses, frontlights and Android. Boyue Likebook P10 is another option but the screen is only 10" instead of 10.3" and the stylus is not as good.

Other options either don't run Android or don't allow you to install any app and many don't have a frontlight.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #3
emkay
Zealot

Thanks for the feedback salamanderjuice.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
Should I go with a later Boox Note model or are there other contenders I should consider? It's quite a while since I looked at the ereader market.
I have two 10.3 inch devices that I use differently:
Likebook Alita in portrait format for books and comments - the advantage of this device is the SD card (I use one with 512 GB).
Boox Note Air in landscape format with Bluetooth keyboard as a summer / sun / garden notebook.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:16 AM   #5
emkay
Zealot

The Likebook Alita looks interesting and it's considerably cheaper than the Boox offerings. How would you compare the two in terms of lighting, readability and operating system? Or perhaps you can recommend reviews? I will look into it.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:23 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Likebook Alita looks interesting and it's considerably cheaper than the Boox offerings. How would you compare the two in terms of lighting, readability and operating system? Or perhaps you can recommend reviews? I will look into it.
The most beautiful and even lighting I know is that of the Boox Note Air - in my eyes also better than that of smaller devices.
Also, the Notes features are more varied than the Likebook, but that's about it; as I wrote above, I use it exclusively as a landscape garden computer - not for books or Notes tasks, and I don't need the more Notes features.

For books, scripts, sheet music, scores (pdf files) and notes and comments in them, in my eyes Likebook Alita is much more usable (portrait format).

The advantages of this device are the file system capabilities (NTFS) both in USB OTG, as well as in the SD system, complete accessibility of Android settings - also the Google Play Store is directly accessible.

In my eyes, Likebook Alita is more versatile than Boox Note Air.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:53 AM   #7
emkay
Zealot

Thanks for your comments, they're very useful.
Regarding stylus use, it's important to me but I only do simple things with it such as highlighting text sections. So the only requirement for me is accuracy – I've had ereaders in the past where the stylus point didn't match with the drawing position on the screen, and I found that unusable. So I will investigate reviews of the Alita's stylus performance, as I would prefer a cheaper upgrade option if possible.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:18 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for your comments, they're very useful.
Regarding stylus use, it's important to me but I only do simple things with it such as highlighting text sections. So the only requirement for me is accuracy – I've had ereaders in the past where the stylus point didn't match with the drawing position on the screen, and I found that unusable. So I will investigate reviews of the Alita's stylus performance, as I would prefer a cheaper upgrade option if possible.
The pen can be calibrated. I don't use the cheap one supplied with the Alita, but the Staedtler Noris Digital Jumbo.
It works very accurately and I have a much better grip on it.