Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What’s your Covid vaccination status?
I’ve had both shots. 3 3.45%
I’ve had my first shot. 15 17.24%
My first shot is scheduled, but I haven’t got it yet. 2 2.30%
I’m qualified in my state or region and want it, but haven’t been able to schedule it. 10 11.49%
I’m not qualified yet in my state or region. 45 51.72%
Qualified or not, my immune system is compromised and I won’t get one. 0 0%
I’m opposed to the vaccine on principle and won’t get one. 2 2.30%
I’m waiting to see how it goes. 6 6.90%
There’s no vaccine available in my region. 3 3.45%
Prefer not to answer. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 10:48 AM   #46
Jeff Duntemann
Enthusiast
Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3; also Moto G Stylus phone
I'm 68 and got my first shot about ten days ago. Second shot appointment already obtained for the end of February. Arizona has already administered well over a million shots, and 313,000 here have received both shots, according to the Arizona Department of Health Services' dashboard. There are several vaccination sites in and around Phoenix/Scottsdale, most of them drive-thru. Some are operating literally around the clock; a friend my age got an appointment for 3:15 **AM**. We've been through the process twice, once for my wife and once for me. In both cases it was a well-oiled machine. Although the state will attempt to bill Medicare, there was no out-of-pocket for the shots.

I'm ordinarily suspicious of government at all levels, but I have to admit: Arizona is hell-bent on getting its population vaccinated. They're doing the over-65s right now. I don't know when eligibility for the next group begins. The rate at which the state can vaccinate people is limited by how quickly they can actually obtain the doses, so they aren't announcing eligibility for the next group until they know they've received enough to vaccinate the current group.

It's impressive how things have been run. If Arizona isn't the first state to vaccinate everyone, it should be damned close.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:24 PM   #47
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Here in Illinois I'm in a profession specifically listed as an essential worker (though apparently the list explicitly isn't all-inclusive) and I'm supposed to get my second shot on the 23rd...

Also, regarding Arizona's vaccination pprogress, their governor was flipping his lid because Maricopa County wasted something like 0.3% of their doses (which isn't that bad all things said, the Vaccines For Children program run by the federal government has waste levels closer to 3% and presumably largely deals with less fragile vaccines)
Old 02-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #48
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Pfizer vials require special needles to extract all six shots, but the needles are even harder to source than the vaccine, not sure if that's true of the other vaccines.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #49
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Not my turn here ( I'm 38) but I'm very pissed at the Ontario rollout of vaccines.

My partner got a kidney transplant last year, is diabetic and 47. And, based on the actual rules, he'll have to wait until people his age get called. They completely ignore high risk population and decided to go only with age for general population.

We feel invisible.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:41 AM   #50
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Like the vaccination distribution wasn’t already messed up enough, here in Texas we got clobbered by nature this week. Snow and ice covers about 73% of the state making travel to/from vaccination sites difficult for many. A power grid nearly failed catastrophically due to the arctic vortex which came to visit us, leaving much of the state without power. Pipes are freezing and flooding houses, businesses, schools, etc. all over the state. Water supplies are in jeopardy in many areas. All of this has adversely impacted the distribution of vaccines. So one step forward, and two steps backwards.

Texas is prepared for the hellish summers, more or less, but we rarely have major winter storms. I'm 63 and have lived here all my life and have only seen measurable snow (meaning 3+ inches) perhaps a dozen times. We were simply unprepared for this as individuals, businesses, schools, government, Big Oil and Gas, etc. Regardless, nature slapped us down and in the process has pushed the vaccination distribution into an even bigger mess than it was.

Last edited by OtinG; 02-18-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #51
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Icing canceled the morning vaccination clinics in NC. And closed down some of the mass vaccination sites at arenas.

Fortunately my appointment for the 2nd dose was at 6:15 -- just got home.
Sore arm but happy smile!
Old 02-18-2021, 06:50 PM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Icing canceled the morning vaccination clinics in NC. And closed down some of the mass vaccination sites at arenas.

Wow, that’s quite the quick turnaround! What about the 15 minutes of observation?

This vaccine story made me laugh, especially the mother’s reaction.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...er-liam-thorp?
Old 02-18-2021, 07:00 PM   #53
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Wow, that’s quite the quick turnaround! What about the 15 minutes of observation?

This vaccine story made me laugh, especially the mother’s reaction.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...er-liam-thorp?
I arrived early (worried about such a late in the day appointment running out of vaccine) and snuck out 5 minutes early.
It was starting to rain again, and I was worried that the roads would start freezing.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #54
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

You still need to be careful though what with the variants and the time the vaccine takes to reach optimum effectiveness.

We are finally thawing out in north TX, but the roads are still treacherous and so many places/homes have been trashed due to power failures and broken water pipes. Hopefully we can start to get vaccine shipments again soon as the roadways improve. But so many people were adversely effected by the storm and its damage, not to mention facilities flooded, we might be a long while getting back up to speed on vaccinations. At least one facility used to store the vaccines that had to be kept extremely cold lost power, so a lot of vaccines probably were ruined.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #55
poohbear_nc
Now what?

*snip*
Quote:
You still need to be careful though what with the variants and the time the vaccine takes to reach optimum effectiveness.
Yup - mask on outside the house.

My doctor advised me to wait at least 2 weeks for optimum effectiveness before scheduling a dental appointment.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
And they still don’t know if the vaccine keeps people from being asymptomatic carriers, so it’ll be masks until we start to approach herd immunity. Aside from not wanting to look like a jerk by being maskless. But it will remove a whole lot of stress in terms of personal exposure and wider latitude in activities.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:48 PM   #57
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Definitely wear masks! We might be doing that for a long time, even after getting fully vaccinated. I wouldn’t be surprised if we have to take annual vaccines until the variants stop occurring, likely after herd immunity is achieved.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:08 AM   #58
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
*snip*

Yup - mask on outside the house.
Actually, given the majority of transmission events occur within households, you might be better protected if you wore it inside the house

BR
Old 02-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #59
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
VA has contacted me I said NO! I dont take shots for any reason they Make me sick for Months! Sure not taking these...
Old 02-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #60
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
VA has contacted me I said NO! I dont take shots for any reason they Make me sick for Months! Sure not taking these...

I'd rather be sick for months, than dead for eternity.
Closed Thread