Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
_twoflower_
_twoflower_ began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to fix critical error?

I searched alot and didn't find an answer for this issue.

I am trying to side-load books to read on a Libra, but started getting this error after disconnecting it from my PC and it loads the new books.

"Critical Error: any highlights, notes, or reading progress since your last sync on (todays date) will be lost." Then a button that forces you to sign out, and resets the device. Exiting the error works too but my books can't be access.

Tried entering a fake registration like this https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...e_registration in case it was something with my account. Got to the homepage successfully but I get a similar error after I side-load books and disconnect the device. "Critical Error: Your eReader hasn't synchronized with the server yet. Any highlights, notes, or reading progress you've made on the device will be lost."

Is there a way to fix this? Can I enter something in KoboReader.sqlite to disable/skip sync or make it think the sync worked? Does it need new firmware? The only books so far are epubs, no bookmarks or purchases from the store so that doesn't matter.

Any help is appreciated.
_twoflower_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:13 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Some questions that spring to mind:
  1. What is your firmware version?
  2. How are you trying to sideload the books? Drag and drop? calibre? ???
  3. What is the source for these books. Quite a few "free" sites are not noted for the quality of their content. Or legality but that's a discussion for another day.
  4. Have you error checked the books? Four suggestions are using calibre's editor with it's epubcheck plugin, Sigil with it's epubcheck plugin, using one of the online epubcheck sites or—if very enthused—you can download the epubcheck software and run it on your PC. 1, 2 and 4 will require having Java installed on your local machine.
  5. Have you tried loading a few books at a time to see if you can locate the book or books that are triggering the issue? Kobo's firmware is very unforgiving of Garbage In.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
_twoflower_

1. 4.16.13449 (I think?)
2. Drag and drop. Is Calibre better?
3. Couple public domain books from https://www.gutenberg.org/. Not doing anything illegal if that's what you're asking.
4. No errors.
5. I loaded one at a time, tried a couple books, tried txt, epub, pdf, still have the error.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Careful not to unplug from the computer too quickly.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
And eject is what's needed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #6
_twoflower_

Quote:
You mean pulling on the cord real hard? Don't worry, I don't do that.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _twoflower_ View Post
You mean pulling on the cord real hard? Don't worry, I don't do that.
What you are doing is pulling the cord too soon and not ejecting. You are corrupting the database.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
_twoflower_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Some questions that spring to mind:
Have you tried loading a few books at a time to see if you can locate the book or books that are triggering the issue? Kobo's firmware is very unforgiving of Garbage In.
It should support txt files, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you are doing is pulling the cord too soon and not ejecting. You are corrupting the database.
Still getting the same error. Can't view the My Books page either.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:16 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Sign out and sign back in. Then use Calibre to side load your eBooks. EJECT your Kobo when done. DO NOT JUST PULL OUT THE USB CABLE UNTIL AFTER EJECTING.

Also, install the Kobo Utilities plugin to keep your database backed up. Read the Kobo Utilities thread for how to use it and to ask any questions.

That should do it.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:19 AM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Using the Clara, after ejecting from the PC, I watch the Clara's screen. First the normal screen re-appears momentarily. Then the screen goes black to display a progress bar for the download. Then the screen returns to normal. I always check to see that the new books are present and usable on the reader. Sometimes you can even see the cover thumbnails of the new books appear as they are created.

Only when I'm sure the books have finished downloading do I disconnect the cable from the ereader.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
It should support txt files, no?
It does support .txt files.

Quote:
Still getting the same error. Can't view the My Books page either.
With that, how did you register your Kobo? With a fake email address? I've seen that issue a couple of times when people have attempted to modify the database to bypass registration.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #12
_twoflower_

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sign out and sign back in. Then use Calibre to side load your eBooks.
Tried. Same error.

Quote:
Using the Clara, after ejecting from the PC, I watch the Clara's screen. First the normal screen re-appears momentarily. Then the screen goes black to display a progress bar for the download. Then the screen returns to normal. I always check to see that the new books are present and usable on the reader. Sometimes you can even see the cover thumbnails of the new books appear as they are created.

Only when I'm sure the books have finished downloading do I disconnect the cable from the ereader.
Same, but the screen returns to normal then has the error. Books are present but nothing happens if I tap My Books. Even if the USB is still connected after eject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
With that, how did you register your Kobo? With a fake email address? I've seen that issue a couple of times when people have attempted to modify the database to bypass registration.
First registration was through Kobo with a real email and got the sync error. Then tried database registration, same error.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@_twoflower_: I've only seen that error in two cases. One is when the database is corrupted, and the other was when some people tried to fake the registration and the faking wasn't compatible with the firmware version.

It sounds like the database. My usual instructions are to either restore a backup if you have one, or, sign out of the Kobo account on the device. The latter should fix this problem. It recreates the database when you sign in again. But, it does mean you lose the reading status and any annotations for sideloaded books.

You can check the database when the device is connected to a PC. Any SQLite database manager will have function to do this, or you can run the appropriate command (which escapes me at the moment). Doing that before the sign out will prove whether it is a database issues.

If this is continuously happening, then it could be something you are doing (such as not ejecting properly), something you have added to the device (a version of KSM would cause problems) or it could be a hardware fault.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:57 PM   #14
_twoflower_

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
IIRC, the most recent hack is to add a row with a UserID of 1, a empty string for the UserKey, and the default values for the rest into the user table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It sounds like the database. My usual instructions are to either restore a backup if you have one, or, sign out of the Kobo account on the device. The latter should fix this problem. It recreates the database when you sign in again. But, it does mean you lose the reading status and any annotations for sideloaded books.
That fixed it! Glad I had a backup. Thanks for the help.

Off-topic, is Overdrive a totally separate login from Kobo's?
Old 11-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Off-topic, is Overdrive a totally separate login from Kobo's?
Yes, you setup Overdrive using either your Overdrive account or your libraries account.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote