Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
ovaldisk
Connoisseur
ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle
how can I make the Kindle choose 3G instead of my home Wi-Fi network?

I know I can go into the Wi-Fi setting and disconnect it, but that means I'll have to enter the WPA key again the next time I want it to connect to my home network.

Thanks for any suggestions!
ovaldisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Just a question... Why would you want it to use 3g over the WiFi at home?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Agreed, I can't see why the OP would want to do this. But to answer your question OP, the Kindle will always go to wifi first if it is available.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Turn the power switch off on the router and back on when your through.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:54 AM   #5
ovaldisk
Connoisseur
ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowseTheStacks View Post
Thanks!

I can't believe I never thought of it. My router has a button on the front that turns Wi-Fi on or off.
ovaldisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 AM   #6
linux1999
linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
For example to buy a book.
Long story short I managed to buy a book US only from Italy from Kindle using 3G. Kindle location was set to US on Amazon account, but neither using proxy or VPN on the home computer or Kindle via Wi-Fi I succeeded in buying it.
Yes I know about gifts and maybe better VPN then the one I used other available options... but well, simply using 3G did the trick in my case ;-)
linux1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Another reason to want to use 3G instead of wifi is if you have metered bandwidth (although I know that the actual bandwidth used by a Kindle is likely to be minimal).
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowseTheStacks View Post
IMO this is not the best or even the easiest solution. I guess if you are the only one using the internet at the moment, then I guess it's ok, but in my household there is probably always a constant need for internet connection whether it be for browsing, school work, Netflix, etc.

IMO, it would probably be easier to go into the WiFi settings of your Kindle and select "Forget" which will turn off your WiFi connection and automatically revert to 3G. Then when you are done you can re-enter in your WiFi password.
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Or, just go out of range of your wireless network.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaldisk View Post

I know I can go into the Wi-Fi setting and disconnect it, but that means I'll have to enter the WPA key again the next time I want it to connect to my home network.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Go to your router's wireless settings and add your Kindle's MAC address to the list of blocked addresses. That way your Kindle won't be allowed to connect to your home wi-fi network.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"
AthenaAtDelphi doesn't litterAthenaAtDelphi doesn't litter

Device: Asus Eee 1000H, BeBook Mini, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD78 View Post
(...) Then when you are done you can re-enter in your WiFi password.
Are you sure you have to re-enter the password ?

Check out the information on the 711 Page (*) of your K3 . Under 2- Wireless Configuration , all the (password protected) WiFi networks your K3 has ever been connected to , are alphabetically listed .

When you select Turn Wireless On and the K3 detects one of those WiFi networks , it automatically connects to that network , without asking you to re-enter the password (so the passwords are stored on the K3) .

BTW , does anyone know how to remove a network from that list ?

*) press Menu , select Settings , type Alt+UQQ

Last edited by AthenaAtDelphi; 08-22-2011 at 08:57 PM.
AthenaAtDelphi is offline   Reply With Quote