Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #1
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Does Kindle Voyage have Phrase search across all books?

My previous kindle could take part of a phrase and tell me every book on my device that has that same phrase. For instance, I searched for ''hand snaked'' and I had 15 books out of 150 that used that phrase in a sentence. Is the new Voyage able to do that? I didn't see it listed this time as one of Kindles features.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
My previous kindle could take part of a phrase and tell me every book on my device that has that same phrase. For instance, I searched for ''hand snaked'' and I had 15 books out of 150 that used that phrase in a sentence. Is the new Voyage able to do that? I didn't see it listed this time as one of Kindles features.
Yes, it has the same search facilities as earlier Kindle models.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it has the same search facilities as earlier Kindle models.
Awesome! Thanks Harry!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Although I believe you must set the filter to all books first? I don't have one, but I know some people were taken unaware by a change in the search interface on devices with the last few firmware revisions...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:43 AM   #5
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Although I believe you must set the filter to all books first? I don't have one, but I know some people were taken unaware by a change in the search interface on devices with the last few firmware revisions...
Good to know! Thanks for adding this.
Advert
Old 02-16-2015, 05:51 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The 5.6.x firmware that the Voyage and (newer) PW2 models run no longer has a search filter.

If you do a search within a book, it's a purely local search within that book.

If you do a search from the home screen, the results page is divided into sections which correspond to the old filter settings. The "Text in Books" section of the results screen is the equivalent of the old "All Items" filter setting that you chose in older firmware versions to search for text across your entire library.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-16-2015 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does that mean there is no way to do a full library search from within a book?
Old 02-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
No, but really, why would you want to?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Only from the home screen, but that seems sensible to me. If you don't know what book a string you want to search for is in, aren't you going to be on the home screen anyway?
Old 02-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

On the current KT firmware, I can highlight a word/phrase and the popup option for searching splits into searching different scopes: "This Book" "My Items" "Kindle Store"
Yes I have used it, for example to find other books where a particular character shows up.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:38 AM   #11
Synergi
Addict

Old thread but does the new kindles still have phrase search across your library and are the kindles the only ebook reader with this feature?
Old 04-11-2018, 05:15 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Old thread but does the new kindles still have phrase search across your library and are the kindles the only ebook reader with this feature?
Not sure if it is the only one that can, but new Kindles still do phrase search in all books (that are on the Kindle). My Oasis2 allows that. It lists the results for each book individually, upon opening it shows all hits. Separated by all, notes & highlights, or book. Phrases don't have to be exact. My test of "sipped some of the coffee" returns results of: "Can I sip some of my coffee at least?" "and took the cup. Coffee. I sipped some." or "and sipped some coffee."

ETA: if searching from within the book with the search, it only searches inside the current book. To be able to search a phrase from within a book I highlighted the phrase, and from there the search listed multiple options.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 04-11-2018 at 05:22 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #13
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Not sure if it is the only one that can, but new Kindles still do phrase search in all books (that are on the Kindle). My Oasis2 allows that.
Hey, thank you so much. I hadn’t even realized the Oasis 2 finally has audible support and a bigger screen. I just put in a order for one. So glad Amazon has kept phrase searches in across all books. I find it a useful feature.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:10 AM   #14
Synergi
Addict

Can someone confirm that Oasis 2/ paperwhite original can do a search for a phrase and tell you every book that phrase shows up on in your library? I don’t mean things I’ve highlighted. If he shook his hand, as an example is searched and that phrase is in 25 of the 400 books I own, will it show up on those devices? Is there a trick or setting to make it do that or do I need to buy a kindle keyboard/DX to get that feature back. I’m asking because I download every book to paperwhite and it can’t find any word or phrases if I search from the home screen. I have Oasis 2 coming tomorrow but if its lost that feature I will probably send it back.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Searching from home is the same on Oasis2 (same as highlighted and searched). Again it is fuzzy when I look for "he shook his hands" so all kinds of combinations appear if "hands", "shook", and "his" are in close proximity. "He" is (wisely?) ignored, maybe it is too common a word.

By default it will search everything, to look in books you need to select "Text in Books (54)" in my case. The 54 is the number of books it found the phrase in. The list of books then can be sorted by "Number of Hits" "Recent" "Title" and "Author".

I have a PW1 at home I can check later if it does something similiar. Apparently I am not at home right now.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote