Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #1
Geargrinder
Geargrinder began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Sorting Shelves through Calibre + Kobo utilities

Hello fine folks here @ mobileread!

Since yesterday I'm a very happy owner of my first ereader, the KOBO aura HD.
Since my main genres are fantasy and SF, and a lot of those books come in series. I've been trying and trying to get some order into my shelves.

Now I've read multiple threads about adding pieces of code etc, but thats not really my cup of tea.

Someone in one of those threads suggested to use the kobo utilities plugin to sort your shelves.

I've installed the kobo plugin but i can't get it to do anything.

here's what I do:
1 - open Calibre, attach Aura HD to computer.
2 - go to the device
3 - open kobo utilities - Order Series Shelves
under 'Shelves to order' i select 'all' and then press click shelves.

It then shows my collections correctly.
Then i select my collections and order them by published date, in ascending order and I've got 'update config file' checked.

When I click OK, it says it has ordererd 3 shelves (all i currently have).
I then unlock my reader, start it up, go to my collections and...
The order hasn't changed.

Could someone please help shed some light on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

edit: Or is it just my English? Does 'Order Series Shelves' Order the shelves itself, and not the books in them?

Last edited by Geargrinder; 12-06-2014 at 05:52 AM. Reason: addition
Geargrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
By far the simplest approach is
1: Use a plugboard to massage the title to prefix it by series info
2: Create a collection per series

As far as I remember the sort by date function is not working in current f/w levels.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unfortunately, the "Date Added" sort is broken in recent firmware. I think it works up to 3.2, so it is still useful for people who haven't updated their firmware. Until Kobo fix this, you will need to use a plugboard to add the series info to the title and sort on that.

I suppose I should display a warning about this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Geargrinder

Thanks for your replies.

@PeterT: how would i go about doing that?
@davidfor: Is Kobo fast with adressing bugs?
Old 12-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo addressing bugs??? Well... it all depends. Some bugs get fixed pretty quickly; others seem to fall totally under the carpet and never EVER get handled.
Advert
Old 12-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Everything is covered in the first post of the thread Quick Guide to Shelf Management with calibre 0.9.1 & above (Touch / Glo / Mini /Aura)

I personally use the plugboard
Code:
{series:re(([^\s])[^\s]+(\s|$),\1)}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
to modify the title of books in series; they come out as HP - 01 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for book 1 in the series Harry Potter.

I also use #myshelves, series (among others) as the columns to sync through the Kobo Device driver. This lets me easily manually shelve some books, while automatically placing books in a shelf based on the series name. With the modified title, I can then very easily sort material, both in the main library view and the shelf specific view.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Geargrinder

@PeterT, thanks again.
I've set things up and use
Code:
{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
It works like a charm.

However since i create shelves for each series, I'd like to modify it to show only the 'number - title'. I've tried to edit the code to this:
Code:
{series_index:0>2s| - }{title}
But this doesn't seem to work.

Do you know how the code should look like?

Edit: Nevermind, I should've read just a bit further...
Thanks again.
Please consider this thread closed.

Last edited by Geargrinder; 12-06-2014 at 10:50 AM.