Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Another use of eink

Thought that this looked interesting (put all your cards on one master card):

https://www.plastc.com/

From the FAQ, the display is eink (doesn't say if it is Carta or the resolution or front lighting.)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
The idea is intriguing.

But how does it work to "copy" the credit card ? Or you have to get a specific one ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
https://www.plastc.com/faqs
"Soon. Every Plastc Card comes with a deactivated chip. We’ll be sending out an over-the-air firmware update shortly after the product ships to enable the chip and allow you to use your card in all Chip and PIN (EMV) machines/devices."

Which ought to be impossible since I understood part of the point of the chip was to prevent the card being cloned or someone who had possession of the card extracting the PIN.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
A (universal?) payment card with display... Hmm, everyone who played Zak McKracken is grinning now.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Is that some PayPal thing? The presentation looks very similar to their page... Also, will I have to charge that card then? "Sorry, can't pay - my visa card is out of power..."
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
"Soon. Every Plastc Card comes with a deactivated chip. We’ll be sending out an over-the-air firmware update shortly after the product ships to enable the chip and allow you to use your card in all Chip and PIN (EMV) machines/devices."

Which ought to be impossible since I understood part of the point of the chip was to prevent the card being cloned or someone who had possession of the card extracting the PIN.
It's only (supposed to be) impossible without the cooperation of the issuing bank. Which would require them to negotiate bank by bank with all card issuers. And if they succeed, and you lose your card, then all your cards are compromised together.

I'm not seeing this as a particularly useful thing.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
It works with a smartphone app. I bet if you lose it, you just set it to lost or stolen mode. If the battery is dead, that could be an issue though.

I would get it, if most of the places I went to weren't accepting ApplePay, but they are, so there's no point.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
It's a great idea. The number of bank debit cards, credit cards, membership cards, loyalty reward cards is just too many.

Quote:

How is Plastc compatible with EMV cards?

We will have an EMV card reader that will transfer data from your EMV card to your Plastc Wallet. Plastc has a rewritable chip technology that will rewrite your Plastc Card based on whatever EMV card you select. When you insert your card into the reader, we will be adhering to PCI standards for storing and encryption when inputting your data onto the Wallet app, as well as transferring your data to your Plastc Card.

How can I put my cards onto my Plastc?

You’ll need the Plastc Card reader and the Wallet app to use Plastc. These will allow you to simply and securely add your cards to the Wallet app on your smartphone. You can manage and sync up to twenty cards to your Plastc Card.

rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If it worked for all cards like discount membership cards most stores now have to issue to get a better price, then I'd love it if just for that reason alone and keep my credit card off it. Not as much of a hassle then if ever lost.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I like the possibilities. It is very thin, I would like to see that tried in an ereader. If it is going in wallets, and be passed around, and treated like a credit card in general, it will need to be robust, another plus for ereaders.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote