Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #136
Manny_Belano
Manny_Belano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (B011; K5)
Hi, pete330, sorry for the delay! I've been with a lot of work and I forgot to check the forum lately.

First, I want to be sure that I'm using the last build. I've downloaded the zip file from the link "gargoyle 0.2 (5.6.5) :: zip package for KUAL for firmware >= 5.6.5 (by pete330)" in http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-gargoyle/ . The title of the zip file is "gargoyle-0.2-5.6.5.zip".

If this is the last version, well, it didn't work . When I run it from kterm with gargoyle.sh I got the following message:

./bin/gargoyle: error while loading shared libraries: libpng16.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such directory.

After that, I copied the two libraries you shared in a previous post (libjpeg.so.8 and libpng16.so.16) to the lib folder. The message I got in kterm was:

./bin/gargoyle: lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.17' not found (requiered by /mnt/us/extensions/gargoyle/lib/libgarglk.so)
./bin/gargoyle: /usr/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (requiered by /mnt/us/extensions/gargoyle/lib/libpng16.so.16)

Well, I don't know if this information is needed but I give it anyway.

I'll be paying more attention to the thread and looking forward to your comments.

Sorry again for the delay in my answer.
Manny_Belano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #137
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Use the "thread tools" drop down box above to subscribe to this thread.
You will get an e-mail for each post.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2017, 01:55 AM   #138
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Oh, my mistake, the archive with the software wasn't attached to my previous post. I'll post again this afternoon, sorry.
pete330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #139
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Test build for Touch and Paperwhite 1 (see attachment):
Attached Files
File Type: gz gargoyle-touch-pw1.tar.gz (2.12 MB, 152 views)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #140
Manny_Belano

Hi, again, friends,

Well, I tried the new version and... this time it works! It runs really smoothly, and having the double tap to insert a word is really really great. I have tried different format files: zblorb (Bronze), z8 (Lost Pig), z5 (Zork 2), tads (The Recruit) and even a Magnetic Scroll game (The Pawn). All of them works without a problem.

So, thanks a lot, pete330, for all the work!

I have some questions though:

1) Is the "samples" folder necessary? I made some modifications to garglk.ini, from the "dist" folder, and they were accepted by gargoyle. So it seems that the garglk.ini from "samples" isn't read, but I want to be sure.

2) Is there a way to make when using "restore" in a game, the program open directly in the "saved_games" folder? Right now, when i use "restore", I have to select the folder myself every time I quit and enter gargoyle again.

3) And this last question is more a curiosity. Supposedly, even if I've never used it, my touch can play sounds. If in the .ini file I enable the sound, my touch will play the sounds of the games?
Advert
Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 PM   #141
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

3) It should do no harm to try.

Back in the day, when the K5 was the current device, a lot of work was done on video and audio things.
IIRC, the installed audio is fairly general purpose.
So do not be surprised if it "just works".
Old 05-19-2017, 05:06 AM   #142
pete330
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_Belano View Post

1) Is the "samples" folder necessary? I made some modifications to garglk.ini, from the "dist" folder, and they were accepted by gargoyle. So it seems that the garglk.ini from "samples" isn't read, but I want to be sure.

The sample folder is only used to provide an example/fallback/backup garglk.ini file. The file located there ist not loaded by the app.

Quote:
2) Is there a way to make when using "restore" in a game, the program open directly in the "saved_games" folder? Right now, when i use "restore", I have to select the folder myself every time I quit and enter gargoyle again.

You can set the default path to your savegames folder in the gargoyle.sh file (located in .../extensions/gargoyle). I don't have my computer with me, just shout if you need more guidance.

Quote:
3) And this last question is more a curiosity. Supposedly, even if I've never used it, my touch can play sounds. If in the .ini file I enable the sound, my touch will play the sounds of the games?

I didn't enable sound support at compile time, because then the app wouldn't run on the majority of devices (which don't support sound).

So: no, turning on sound support in the ini file will most likely not enable sound.

FYI: The next version will support a few more touch gestures (like placing and moving the input cursor within the input line), to make up for the Kindle keyboard's missing cursor and control keys, hopefully improving usability a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #143
Manny_Belano

Thanks for the answers, pete330. But, yes, I need a little more guidance regarding to setting a default path for savegames. I can edit the gargoyle.sh file. Right now it looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
EXTENSION=/mnt/us/extensions/gargoyle
cd ${EXTENSION}
lipc-set-prop -s com.lab126.keyboard open net.fabiszewski.gargoyle:abc:0
SAVED_GAMES=./saved_games/ \
GAMES=./games/ \
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${EXTENSION}/lib \
PATH=$PATH:${EXTENSION}/bin \
./bin/gargoyle
lipc-set-prop -s com.lab126.keyboard close net.fabiszewski.gargoyle

I have tried to deduce what changes I have to do, but I'm not sure.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #144
knc1
Going Viral

If that script is being run from KUAL, the second line (cd $EXTENSIONS) is not required, that IS the current directory.

The other paths in the file are relative to the current directory.
Which is in USB storage (visible when exported), where do you want them?

And is it:
saved_games or savegames ?
I see both in your post.

Last edited by knc1; 05-21-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #145
pete330
Connoisseur

Hi, the file you posted is different from the one in the distribution. It should look like this - of course this only works if you didn't change the directory layout on your device as compared to the layout contained in the tar.gz archive:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd ${EXTENSION}
SAVED_GAMES=${EXTENSION}/saved_games/ \
#SAVED_GAMES=/mnt/us/Dropbox/Saves/ \
GAMES=${EXTENSION}/games/ \
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${EXTENSION}/dist \
PATH=$PATH:${EXTENSION}/dist \
./dist/gargoyle
The path to the save-game folder ist specified in this line:

This means savegames are expected in this directory:
/mnt/us/extensions/gargoyle/saved_games/

The directory must exist, the path name is case sensitive.

You can change this to wherever your savegames are located, like:
SAVED_GAMES=/mnt/us/mySpecialSavegameFolder/ \
Old 05-23-2017, 12:15 AM   #146
Manny_Belano

You're right, pete330, I copied the wrong information in my previous post: I copied the file of the baf version of the port.

I've seen again the file and it looks exactly like yours. But when I write "restore" or "save" inside any game it takes me to the directory "/var/temp". This seems odd, because when I open the program it takes me to the right folder: "/mnt/us/extensions/gargoyle/games/". So, I'm not sure what's going on.

I tried to do something like you said, knc1, and following the original baf version of the file. So I changed

for
SAVED_GAMES=./saved_games/ \

But it didn't work. I've also tried:

SAVED_GAMES=../saved_games/ \
and
SAVED_GAMES=/mnt/us/extensions/gargoyle/saved_games/ \
and
SAVED_GAMES=${EXTENSION}

Nothing changes.

I've keep the directory for saved games exactly as it came in the distribution.

Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:01 AM   #147
pete330
Connoisseur

I could reproduce this error on my PW1, I have to check that.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:57 AM   #148
pete330
Connoisseur

Bug found, the comment in the startup script messed it up. With this it works:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd ${EXTENSION}
GAMES=${EXTENSION}/games/ \
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${EXTENSION}/dist \
PATH=$PATH:${EXTENSION}/dist \
./dist/gargoyle

I will update the binary archives in the next view days, including this little fix and the updated touch features.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #149
Manny_Belano

Yes, now it works. Thanks again.

I look forward to the new version. Now, per knc1 advice, I'm suscribe to the thread.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #150
pete330
Connoisseur

I posted updated binaries here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...63&postcount=1