Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 03:06 AM   #1
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast
CaesarW began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 PW4 (all jb)
[HELP] Compile Linux Apps For Kindle

Hello everyone!

Recently I tried to compile some apps for kindle. For example, Accidental IRC(latest binary) and proxychains etc.

But I've met some problems.
How to choose compiler's architecture? I tried armhf and armel, not working.
When compiling using armhf compiler, on kindle kterm it just doesn't recognize it as an executable file.

Also, I tried to compile it on my Raspberry Pi (armv7), got the same result.

I've also searched Google and the forum, can't find anything useful.

Anyone for help? Thanks!
CaesarW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:20 AM   #2
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Check this tutorial
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Some points based on my recent attempts:
- Instead of re-inventing the wheel, you can check if the particular package already exists in the debian armel wheezy or jessie repositories. If yes, they can be directly copied to the kindle and most will run. You need to copy any library dependencies too.
- As indicated in the link given by encol, you can set up a debian armel VM and compile and test stuff on it and later copy it over to the kindle.
- You can also do a cross compile from a desktop linux. This seems to produce executables that are better in terms of speed.
- All the above is for command line applications. For graphical applications, you need to fiddle further with things like GTK. (I haven't got there yet! ;-))
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
And if you search here a bit among twobob's posts, you will find he posted a script that will determine what library dependences are already satisfied in the Kindle's system image.
That is, things which you don't need to add.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
You can also use my tutorial to set up a virtual machine running the kindle processor. You can compile as normal and if any library files are missing you can copy them to the kindle.
Also, you can use the debian on kindle to compile things.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=286561
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2017, 12:49 AM   #6
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast
CaesarW began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 PW4 (all jb)
Finally succeed!
I used an armel Debian QEMU and managed to compile some apps.
I will release them on the forum if possible since I am still a student. :-)

Thanks everyone!
CaesarW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaesarW View Post
Finally succeed!
I used an armel Debian QEMU and managed to compile some apps.
I will release them on the forum if possible since I am still a student. :-)

Thanks everyone!
We greatly prefer open source here.
Put your sources in a public repository (github, bitbucket, etc) for any binaries you post. Give them an open source license.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm, armhf, compile, development, linux