Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Nobel Prize in Literature: Patrick Modiano wins Nobel

UPDATE:

Patrick Modiano wins the Nobel Prize in literature

From "The Guardian":

"The Swedish Academy announced this morning that the winner of the literature Nobel would be revealed on Thursday 9 October at 1pm CET (noon BST). Ladbrokes, which has frequently seen the eventual victor surge to the top of its odds in the days before the announcement, said today that Ngũgĩ and Murakami were, at 4/1, joint favourites to win Thursday’s eight million kronor (£693,000) prize."

My bet is on Haruki Murakami or Joyce Carol Oates.

And yours?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-12-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
No clue. These prizes are always won by authors I've never heard of.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Joyce Carol Oats would be a good pick. I haven't read anything by her, but her award list and three-time Pulitzer nominee probably put her in the uppermost tier of writers. Probably Alice Munroe from Canada winning will make it more difficult for Joyce this time around though.

Should be an interesting pick.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Looking back at the last decade or so, who was largely unknown? Le Clézio and Tranströmer, sure, but V.S. Naipaul, J. M. Coetzee, Doris Lessing, Mario Vargas Llosa etc. were certainly known to a global audience.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Looking back at the last decade or so, who was largely unknown? Le Clézio and Tranströmer, sure, but V.S. Naipaul, J. M. Coetzee, Doris Lessing, Mario Vargas Llosa etc. were certainly known to a global audience.
Honestly, never heard of any of them.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You've not heard of Haruki Murakami?

(I realize he hasn't won. But there's a strong possibility that he might.)

I highly recommend this gentle introduction to his work:

"The Elephant Vanishes: Stories"

You'll find it right here:

http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Vanis...aruki+murakami

A description from Amazon:

1) A man sees his favorite elephant vanish into thin air.

2) A newlywed couple suffers attacks of hunger that drive them to hold up a McDonald's in the middle of the night.

3) A young woman discovers that she has become irresistible to a little green monster who burrows up through her backyard.

And there's more!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-06-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You've not heard of Haruki Murakami?

(I realize he hasn't won. But there's a strong possibility that he might.)
Seriously, I haven't. I mostly read dead 19th century authors; plus a few modern ones - Herbert, Asimov, D Brown, S Collins, AC Clarke, etc.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Was it last year they declined to select a winner?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I was editing my post when you posted your post above. Please re-read my earlier post.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Was it last year they declined to select a winner?
I think Alice Munro won last year, didn't she?

(I'd have to check.)
Old 10-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I was editing my post when you posted your post above. Please re-read my earlier post.

OK, I'll give it a shot. I'll check it out from the library next week.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I think Alice Munro won last year, didn't she?

(I'd have to check.)
I think you're right. I believe it was a recent Pulitzer that failed to select a winner. My bad.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, I'll give it a shot. I'll check it out from the library next week.

By all means, please.

If you find him enjoyable, there are a few older Mobileread threads on some of his earlier books.

Not everyone likes him, of course, but there a number of members here who seem to enjoy him.

For myself, I'm a Murakami 'fanatic' and enjoy collecting his works in First Edition Hardcover [English].
Old 10-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
I highly recommend this gentle introduction to his work:

"The Elephant Vanishes: Stories"

You'll find it right here:

http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Vanis...aruki+murakami

A description from Amazon:

1) A man sees his favorite elephant vanish into thin air.

2) A newlywed couple suffers attacks of hunger that drive them to hold up a McDonald's in the middle of the night.

3) A young woman discovers that she has become irresistible to a little green monster who burrows up through her backyard.

And there's more!
Really?

This sounds like the kind of thing best read when under the influence of psychedelics.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote