Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
ryoanji
ryoanji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
After updating DXG to 3.2.1, adding to collections is messed up

I have just updated my Kindle DXG to 3.2.1, and after the reboot I noticed immediately that my collections are messed up. All books were instead listed in the "root" list and there were collections that I deleted like a year ago. Moreover, most current collections were gone.

Now, it appears things are even more weird then I thought. When I create and add book to collection, it does not disappear from the "root" list. It just becomes mirrored in the collection.

Any ideas on what could that be? Thanks a so much!
ryoanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Simply just incompatibility? Maybe you should drop the collection database and start from scratch. After all, Amazon never upgraded from 2.x to 3.x. There might be no compatibility intended.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
ryoanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Simply just incompatibility? Maybe you should drop the collection database and start from scratch.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. What do you mean by "drop the collection database?" I moved all \documents files to pc, deleted the folder, recreated it, unplugged the kindle, it showed nothing but two dictionaries, I copied just one pdf file and tried experimenting with it.

If I create a collection and add the file to it, it gets added to collection. But it never disappears from "root list" of documents on the kindle home screen. (???)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
If old deleted content is showing up, could amazon be pushing the collections database to your DXG? Perhaps you could try logging into your amazon account on a PC and seeing what is going on from the "other side".

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-21-2012 at 07:56 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
ryoanji

Thanks but for now I just deleted all my collections from Kindle DXG and logging in from PC confirms that. I am far more puzzled by the fact why file added to collection still shows up in the "root list" of documents in the home screen...
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have SSH access, you can try deleting your collections database from /var/local.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
On a K3, or a KDX runnning K3 software, the collection database is stored in (/mnt/us)/system/collections.json - I think I would start with a blank /system folder on the user partition when going from 2.5.x to 3.x... But I never used 3.x when I still had my KDX, so I can't tell for sure.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
just to be sure: Do you confirm that at the top-right of the screen on your home screen it says "by collections" ( instead of " by most recent first")

also the time issue should be related with the settings. Did you ever connect to internet after the "update"?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
ryoanji

thomass thanks a lot. yes, that is was it! now i am really embarrassed. i guess i did not know about this sorting option on kindle dx... oh, well. somehow in the update process it switched to a new sort.

teşekkür ederim!

Last edited by ryoanji; 05-21-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
On a K3, or a KDX runnning K3 software, the collection database is stored in (/mnt/us)/system/collections.json - I think I would start with a blank /system folder on the user partition when going from 2.5.x to 3.x... But I never used 3.x when I still had my KDX, so I can't tell for sure.
Oh, that's right! It was the K4 and K5 that suffer from too many books filling /var/local and bricking them.

Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-21-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Oh, that's right! It was the K4 and K5 that suffer from too many books filling /var/local and bricking them.

Thanks for the reminder.
How many books are too many books?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How many books are too many books?
It is not the count of books but the count of bytes bring used in the fixed partition size.
As a general rule to start off with, try to keep /var/local under 66% full.
The "df /var/local" command will give you a report (and so will a lot of other utilities).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote