Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #166
The_Book_Doctor
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Book_Doctor View Post
Please cite your source. I don't believe that Mr. Howey ever said such a thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughhowey View Post
I never would.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #167
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I'd love to have the audio books, too, when they're available.
Bumpety bump.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #168
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This weekend, I purchased Wool #6 from Kobo. I don't know if I'm going to read it before or after Shadow of the Wind.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #169
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This weekend, I purchased Wool #6 from Kobo. I don't know if I'm going to read it before or after Shadow of the Wind.
Read it soon John. IMO, it is so much better than Wool. For the first time, I have a sense of Howey as a really fine writer who has a voice, not just a good story.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #170
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I purchased Wool 6 from Kobo. Thank you Mr Howey for making it available at Kobo.

It looks like the table of contents is missing? All that was in it was the Prologue and Epilogue.

For those using Calibre... I ran it through Calibre and used the following when converting:

Under "Structure Detection -> Detect chapters at:":

//*[(name()='h1')]

and under Table of Contents checked "Force use of..."

Calibre seemed to do a good job of finding the chapters.

And Thank you Mr. Howey for making it DRM free.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #171
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
So... have you used the table of contents since you fixed it?

Just curious. I do the very same thing. I add a table of contents if it's missing and then promptly never, ever use it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #172
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool adding missing TOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Just curious. I do the very same thing. I add a table of contents if it's missing and then promptly never, ever use it.
Me three.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #173
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Well, I checked that the table of contents was there. I also clicked on an entry to make sure it took me to the correct page. I haven't actually started reading the book, so I haven't officially used it yet.

I tend to jump between three devices, and try to stop on chapter boundaries if I know I'm going to continue reading on another device. Also, when reading, two of my devices display chapter breaks, so I know how far I have to go to the end of a chapter. So I tend to like a table of contents, but it really isn't a big deal if there isn't one. The better the book, the less I care about the table of contents.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #174
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I fixed up the formatting, I also fixed up the ToC in the NCX.

I also made sure the files were properly named as well. I use Sigil to split, rename & fix the ToC. Works very well.

I've removed paragraph spaces and put in indents. It looks so much better and so much easier to read. Paragraph spaces take one out of the story as instead of going from words to words, you go from words to space to words in every paragraph. It is OK to go from words to space to words for a section break. But otherwise, nope.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #175
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I purchased Wool 6 from Kobo. Thank you Mr Howey for making it available at Kobo.

It looks like the table of contents is missing? All that was in it was the Prologue and Epilogue.

For those using Calibre... I ran it through Calibre and used the following when converting:

Under "Structure Detection -> Detect chapters at:":

//*[(name()='h1')]

and under Table of Contents checked "Force use of..."

Calibre seemed to do a good job of finding the chapters.

And Thank you Mr. Howey for making it DRM free.
The ones from B&N don't have table of contents (the first 3 or 4 if I remember correctly). The chapter headers (just the number, mind you) do not use any hx tags, so Sigil wouldn't auto-generate the TOC. I don't necessarily use the TOC, but having proper headings means the nook can tell me how many pages are left in the chapter; otherwise it sees only 1 long chapter in the book.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #176
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The ones from B&N don't have table of contents (the first 3 or 4 if I remember correctly). The chapter headers (just the number, mind you) do not use any hx tags, so Sigil wouldn't auto-generate the TOC. I don't necessarily use the TOC, but having proper headings means the nook can tell me how many pages are left in the chapter; otherwise it sees only 1 long chapter in the book.
The fact that the ToC doesn't have h tags is not a problem. I just put them in and then let Sigil generate the ToC. I then fix it up from there and I'm good to read.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #177
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Two youtube links about Wool that are pretty cool:

Official trailer from http://www.thisiswool.co.uk/

Opening title sequence for the novel Wool. Motion Graphic Class at CSULB
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #178
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The fact that the ToC doesn't have h tags is not a problem. I just put them in and then let Sigil generate the ToC. I then fix it up from there and I'm good to read.
That's what I did, I was just pointing out that the same issue applied to B&N's versions.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #179
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Omnibus Edition:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #160 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#1 in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > High Tech
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Genre Fiction > Science Fiction > High Tech
#5 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Fiction > Genre Fiction > Science Fiction > Adventure

Plus 1500 customer reviews.

Pretty impressive numbers.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #180
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I'm not sure what your talking about , but the Wool Omnibus from Kobo that I purchased (around July 18) had a full table of contents.