Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #46
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by captobvs View Post
I have heard alot about how covers can affect a Kindles' operation. I am assuming (hopefully correctly) that these are just holders for carrying or storing and you take it out while reading. If this is the case then I will be definetly looking into one of these.
as far as we know it is just the UNlighted cover for the K3 from Amazon that is causing problems, and they apparently are being more than fair in replacing it. some folks always read with their covers on, some always read "naked" at least from home. the covers, as opposed to sleeves are very capable of being used with a Kindle in them.

welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #47
wolw
-= Balsa flies better =-
wolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheesewolw can extract oil from cheese

Device: Amazon Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
I have the Tuff-Luv cover, perfect for reading at work while eating or sitting at a table. Folds up and locks if reading normally in a chair or in bed, I never take it out of the cover.

Very satisfied customer.

Peter

wolw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #48
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolw View Post
I have the Tuff-Luv cover, perfect for reading at work while eating or sitting at a table. Folds up and locks if reading normally in a chair or in bed, I never take it out of the cover.

Very satisfied customer.

Peter

that's the first "stand" cover that I have seen that looks like it works. I had one for my K1 which was just a wreck
Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #49
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
I have heard alot about how covers can affect a Kindles' operation. I am assuming (hopefully correctly) that these are just holders for carrying or storing and you take it out while reading. If this is the case then I will be definetly looking into one of these.
The issue you're referring to only involves one particular kind of attachment mechanism used to mount the Kindle within the cover, i.e. the "hinge" system devised by Amazon where little hook-like things are actually inserted into the device. And as Kindlekitten pointed out, the problems appear limited to a specific model with that system. So it's not something to worry about.

So far as storage/carrying: the covers shaped like a book cover with some variety of mounting system (there are a few different styles) that holds the Kindle inside and allows access to all functions/buttons while in use are meant to act as, well, book covers (hold like a book, protect the Kindle from dust and mild drops). There are cases without a mounting mechanism where you can just slip the kindle inside and close it like luggage or a pouch, and these are probably a good option if you prefer to use the Kindle "naked." A common variety is the "sleeve": Timbuk2
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #50
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

double post, whoops

Last edited by OtterBooks; 12-29-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #51
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I love my Red Sky Dragon and my Purple Sun from Oberon.

I have a Red Executive from M Edge for my K1 that was very nice but was replaced my my Red Sky Dragon.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #52
captobvs
captobvs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd generation
Thanks for the information from everyone. My mother and I are huge bibliophiles and have very extensive libraries. It took us some time before we decided to try the electronic ereaders because, as everyone knows, there is nothing like reading and holding a good book. With her eyesight deteriorating, she decided to go for the Kindle3 and its read-to-me feature. So we are new to the Kindle family and love them so far! A good cover will just add to the experience.
captobvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #53
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
A nice leather cover can make the Kindle feel like a finely bound book.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #54
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Covers

Covers? I build my own covers, for all readers I own…

I can also create a cover for all Kindle model

Luke
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #55
willoyd
willoyd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolw View Post
I've just bought one of these as reviews are excellent, and wanted one with a stand, but to be honest, am disappointed by how bulky it is (should have worked that out, but it feels a lot bulkier than it looks in the pictures or on You Tube). I'm seriously contemplating returning it. Very well made though - no complaints on that front at all. Still can't work out whether I prefer a flip or book cover. If it's a book cover, it must be able to fold back, as am strongly left handed.

I had one of the unlit Kindle covers that affected the K3. That aside, it was excellent, and am looking for something as light, or at least as unbulky (if that's a real word!).
willoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #56
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoyd View Post
I've just bought one of these as reviews are excellent, and wanted one with a stand, but to be honest, am disappointed by how bulky it is (should have worked that out, but it feels a lot bulkier than it looks in the pictures or on You Tube). I'm seriously contemplating returning it. Very well made though - no complaints on that front at all. Still can't work out whether I prefer a flip or book cover. If it's a book cover, it must be able to fold back, as am strongly left handed.

I had one of the unlit Kindle covers that affected the K3. That aside, it was excellent, and am looking for something as light, or at least as unbulky (if that's a real word!).
you should check out the medge then. I had one for my first K1, and it is a very nice, lightweight leather cover that will fold back
Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #57
OtterBooks
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
you should check out the medge then. I had one for my first K1, and it is a very nice, lightweight leather cover that will fold back
The M-Edges are pretty good. Their new generation covers are no longer real leather, though. They kept the price the same, oddly. They recently started to release leather models, likely in response to customer disappointment at their move to faux-leather.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #58
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

well that's kind of disappointing! at least they are responding to feedback though!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #59
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thanks for the information from everyone. My mother and I are huge bibliophiles and have very extensive libraries. <snip>

Cool avatar! I wonder how many old geeks like myself are around to recognize the source.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #60
willoyd
willoyd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Very tempting - but more with reference to the non-leather ones like the Latitude and the Trip. The former especially might be useful for cycling tours! In the meantime, I've ordered one from Cover-up in the UK. Very simple and straightforward for everyday. Thanks for the pointer though.
willoyd is offline   Reply With Quote