Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #136
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
I was once told this by a relative many moons ago. He told me that just because your eyes dont hurt it doesnt mean your eyes arent straining. I take that as fact right now and wonder about using the iTouch and cell phone as an E-reader. My eyes dont hurt, usually never do, but I wonder if theyre straining and if I may be causing long term damage to them.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #137
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I don't think it would ever be possible for an LCD screen to reflect back the same amount of light as an e-Ink screen. The e-Ink screen is reflecting back just the ambient light that bounces off the surface of the screen. An LCD screen bounces back that light, plus the light emitted by the LCD itself (which it's going to emit as long as it's turned on). Therefore, an LCD is always going to emit more light at any one moment.
This is not true. An EPD screen in its white state reflects a certain percentage of the light striking its surface (the commonly cited figure is 40%), while a standard backlit LCD reflects pretty much nothing. There is no cumulative effect of ambient light and backlight. If there were, such backlit displays would be fantastic in direct sunlight.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 11-24-2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: accidentally pompous, woops.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #138
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
I was once told this by a relative many moons ago. He told me that just because your eyes dont hurt it doesnt mean your eyes arent straining. I take that as fact right now and wonder about using the iTouch and cell phone as an E-reader. My eyes dont hurt, usually never do, but I wonder if theyre straining and if I may be causing long term damage to them.
No, you're not, or at least not compared with staring at any other hand-held object in the same concentrated way for long periods.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #139
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
A fair number? Does anyone find LCD screens easier to look at than eInk?
Easier to look at? No. Equal? Yes. LCD does not bother my eyes and I do not experience the "pain" others do from reading on LCD. This having worked in I.T. for a fair amount of years and using LCD screens constantly.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #140
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
I'm well aware of the advantages of LCD over eInk. But, if you are being sincere (no offense), then you are one of very few whose brain is wired in such a way that staring into a light for hours is just as comfortable as not.
To be fair, LCD brightness can very easily be lowered, you make it sound as though a flashlight like beam is being shined in one's eyes. This is not the case.

And I must also be one of the "very few" (a value I dispute).

Last edited by Grimm; 11-24-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #141
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. I had 20/10 vision in both eyes when I joined the military at 18. I've since worked in I.T. staring at brightly lit screens all day long for years, to include my home computer use which was added hours per day staring at those bright screens. I'm 35 now and just had an eye test a few weeks ago. My left eye is 20/10, my right 20/15. Not saying it can't mess with people's vision, just that it's not a proven thing by any means.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:56 AM   #142
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
With internet anecdotes it's hard to tell what's placebo and what's not, and sometimes there might be other variables - screen brightness, ambient light, reading distance, posture etc... that people haven't isolated, however honest and sincere they are.

Now glare is a real problem, because we associate LCD with touchscreen capacitative displays that have a piece of glass over them, and that causes glare. It's not an inherent LCD thing, I try to use matte displays where is no capacitative touch, but it something relevant to e-readers and tablets...
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #143
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
You can probably change the amount of light emitted over time by changing the refresh rate, but if you change the refresh rate so that the screen is "on" less often, that has a negative impact on people's eyes, too.
LCD screens with LED backlight don't flicker. Even when set to very low brightness.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #144
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypocaramel View Post
With internet anecdotes it's hard to tell what's placebo and what's not, and sometimes there might be other variables - screen brightness, ambient light, reading distance, posture etc... that people haven't isolated, however honest and sincere they are.

Now glare is a real problem, because we associate LCD with touchscreen capacitative displays that have a piece of glass over them, and that causes glare. It's not an inherent LCD thing, I try to use matte displays where is no capacitative touch, but it something relevant to e-readers and tablets...
Completely honest and sincere in my post.

Anti-Glare film sold for Nook Color - $16.95. Comes with 2 of them and a lint free cloth. Works quite nicely and doesn't affect the touchscreen capabilities nor does it leave a residue on the glass.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #145
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
I'm not an expert on placebo, I don't work in those industries, but it might work both ways. I'm worried about false positives - so people feeling eyestrain from LCD because they were told LCDs (or computer screens) cause eyestrain.

Yes, I ordered anti-glare film for my NOOKcolor, not here yet. Generally they do add a bit of noise, depending the quality. We'll see when it gets here.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #146
Rick1971
cool a zombie!
Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rick1971 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Lenovo a2107a-f, Le PanII, Motorola Xoom FE
can't wait to get one of those
Rick1971 is offline   Reply With Quote