Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-_-) View Post
Thanks for making this.

Unfortunately I was unable to install via the 'update_backdoorlock_2_install.bin' on a
K3 3G.

"update your kindle" is grayed out. Restart results in an error. (Update error: 3)
Trying to update a MR rather than an Amazon package using 'restart' will result in an error 3. Normal operator error condition.

Try the "run grayed install" button in KUAL helpers - report back on the results.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
SERIAL NUMBER "First 4 digits only" please
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-_-) View Post
Unfortunately I was unable to install via the 'update_backdoorlock_2_install.bin' on a
K3 3G.
My fault.
This is an ota2 update bundle (installable on multiple device models) and Kindle 3 supports ota1 only.
I will build ota1 bundles as well, wait for the next release please.

BTW what is your Kindle firmware version ? I was hoping Kindle 3.4 supports ota2.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
My fault.
This is an ota2 update bundle (installable on multiple device models) and Kindle 3 supports ota1 only.
I will build ota1 bundles as well, wait for the next release please.

BTW what is your Kindle firmware version ? I was hoping Kindle 3.4 supports ota2.
Mine is (and update fails). KUAL comes to the rescue.

Last edited by PoP; 02-14-2013 at 04:00 PM.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #20
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Okay, I've read this through several times and it sounds too good to be true!! I just want to be sure I've got it straight before I remove my PW from its holy water bath, take off its garlic necklace and lift it out from its circle of salt (all there to prevent Amazon from having its way with my baby!)...

1) If (when) I install this, it will prevent Amazon from doing an auto-update without my permission so I can take it out of airplane mode and actually use the wifi feature?

2) If I wish to do an MR update, I can put back into airplane mode, disable this hack, add the MR update bin to the appropriate location and then do a menu>settings>update your kindle, then resart this hack? If Amazon has downloaded an update previously that did not run, do I need to delete it before doing an MR update?

3) If Amazon has pushed an update that this hack prevented from installing and I want it, I just do a menu>settings>update your kindle?

I think that's what I'm reading but I'm too giddy to trust myself on this one...could someone verify that what I think I'm understanding is actually true? Thanks!

Last edited by GoSharks; 02-15-2013 at 12:24 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #21
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
1) If (when) I install this, it will prevent Amazon from doing an auto-update without my permission so I can take it out of airplane mode and actually use the wifi feature?
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
2) If I wish to do an MR update, I can put back into airplane mode, disable this hack, add the MR update bin to the appropriate location and then do a menu>settings>update your kindle, then resart this hack? If Amazon has downloaded an update previously that did not run, do I need to delete it before doing an MR update?
You shouldn't ever need to disable this hack, it doesn't stop you from installing anything manually ("Update Your Kindle").
The only exception is when an incremental update needs to patch the file /etc/updater.conf - such update would fail with an error. Only then you would need to uninstall the hack or deactivate it with KUAL.
You would also need to reinstall/reactivate the hack after installing a full update (the huge one).

Quote:
3) If Amazon has pushed an update that this hack prevented from installing and I want it, I just do a menu>settings>update your kindle?
Yes, exactly.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-15-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #22
dsmid
Linux devotee

OTA1 bundles for Kindle 3 were added, use them to install this hack on Kindle 3.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-15-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #23
dsmid
Linux devotee

Version 3:
Nothing special, just the helper scripts are now installed during the bundle installation as well - they may come in handy in launchpad or in an SSH session.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #24
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
You can install the hack as a classic update bundle or a KUAL extension. Please do not install both.

OK, I think I understand what this does. I have the Kindle launcher installed and I have unzipped the files. Where do I put them on the kindle, please? Paperwhite, jailbroken and currently on 5.3.3,
with an owner who can follow simple instructions........
very simple.....

Any chance of a readme in the update bundle? Save me having to ask dumb questions. Many thanks!
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
With Kindle visible as "USB storage device"

Copy (or move) the top level directory (and its sub-directories and their files) of what you un-packed to:
kindle:/extensions

Which is right next to:
kindle:/documents.

Same directions for any of the KUAL button add-ins.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #26
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got it, thank you!
That was quick!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Sorry, me again....
The backdoor lock looks to be working, but when I checked the update state the screen didn't refresh properly after pressing the menu button twice. It refreshed well enough to be able to restart from the menu, which restored normal function. So not a big problem, but I thought you should know about it. Serial number B01D x running 5.3.3.
BTW, is it supposed to overwrite the item I already had in the KUAL (launch collections manager)?
Not very good at moving electrons, please forgive innate stupidity, and thanks for the work you have put in to this.

https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif
Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #28
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will have a play and see if I can replicate.

BO1D.. erm..
That´s a Kindle PaperWhite 3G + WiFi (Europe)

nearest thing I have is a touch...

humph.

see what happens

OKAY: So if you mean the top part of the screen...

This is noted under KUAL known issues IIRC. Let me go find it.
EDIT: No it was noted HERE I have copied the info across and made it clearer.

It´s not really an issue in KUAL per sé, more an issue with X not seeing the FrameBuffers´ changes

The solution is posted as pictures.

If this is the issue you meant let me know. Then I can stop looking for problems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_117.png
Views:	583
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	101307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_118.png
Views:	538
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	101310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_119.png
Views:	570
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	101311   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_120.png
Views:	558
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	101312   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_121.png
Views:	565
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	101314   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_123.png
Views:	531
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	101315  

Last edited by twobob; 02-15-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: removed one step
Old 02-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #29
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
The backdoor lock looks to be working, but when I checked the update state the screen didn't refresh properly
Yes, just tried and same here on WiFi PW B024. I turned the screen off and then back on and that did the trick without having having to do a restart.

Edit: I guess that counts as "or something" as indicated in twobob's pictures above.

Last edited by Yolina; 02-15-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
twobob

Quote:
Edit: I guess that counts as "or something" as indicated in twobob's pictures above.
heroic. nice one. EDIT: And Yes. nice solution. I never thought of that one, but lots of things fix it

Ill go put that in the relevant places that people might find this thing.

and try to find that ¨multi-device key injection¨ thing I mangled together

Last edited by twobob; 02-15-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Tags
k3 k4 k5 kpw backdoorlock