Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
:sheesh: I'm glad I swung by here today. I had completely missed this news! Just signed up, not because I think I need it, but because I don't actually know how much I'll need, since I've only had it a month...

Is there a thread here that outlines the announcement? I'd like to submit it for Front Page.
this one
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85548

but this here thread (that we're in) points out the GOTCHAs best.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Prior to my BlackBerry I use to use about 60MB and thought I was a power user on months when I surged to 260MB

Since my BlackBerry I average about 2GB a month and have had several months when I exceeded 5GB.

I don't do anything elaborate or out of the norm so ATT has pretty much excluded me from ever joining them

Some of the activities I do on my phone are listen to music steam (Pandora/Slacker), download podcasts, books, email, and surf the web.

I guess is you plan on carring the iPad with you a lot you can easily eat up MB with such apps but if you only use it at home (where you have WIFI then it is not worth the price.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The only situation in which I suupose you might need a huge allownace would be for things like downloading movies.

Yep streaming a movie can be up to 3 GB for an HD movie--at least from what I've read about the netflix app on the Xbox 360 and about other streaming sources on PCs etc--I'd think it would be the same on the iPad, at least on WiFi. You get a lower quality stream over 3G so it uses less.

So unlimited is important if you stream a lot of video over 3G you may need it. If you don't and/or only stream on WiFi then most will probably never get close to the lower caps, much less the new 2GB cap for people not grandfathered in.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #19
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Clicker.com did an interesting test to see how much video you could stream under the new plans:
http://www.clicker.com/blog/how-much...ew-data-plans/

I don't really stream over 3G that much (mostly because AT&T just isn't that reliable in my area), but...I think I'm going to switch to an unlimited plan this weekend...just in case.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #20
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Clicker.com did an interesting test to see how much video you could stream under the new plans:

I don't really stream over 3G that much (mostly because AT&T just isn't that reliable in my area), but...I think I'm going to switch to an unlimited plan this weekend...just in case.
With the world cup coming up and the ability to stream all uk free channels via a few different apps on iDevices then this would be awful in the UK I believe streaming 100 mins of live football could be around 250 mb and there are like 20 matches next week.

US mobile deals seem extortionate.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Just an update:
I had the $15/250M plan when I got my iPad in May, and actually ran out around the 25th, so re-signed up for the same $15/250M plan. Of course, a week later, AT&T changed their plans. I wavered, and decided to swallow that $15/250M plan I was in the middle of and switch to the unlimited plan before the June 7th deadline, just to be grandfathered in to the old plans.

I figured, given that it was AT&T, they would immediately start me on the $30/Unlimited plan and bill me again. But, surprisingly, they notified me that my 250M plan would stay in effect until the end of June, at which point they would switch me over to the Unlimited plan. Which, I thought was pretty decent of them
Old 06-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I signed up for unlimited. I'll probably keep it. I'm liking using my iPad whenever, however. I might ditch my iPhone when my contract ends. Not using it much because of iPad.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I signed up for unlimited. I'll probably keep it. I'm liking using my iPad whenever, however. I might ditch my iPhone when my contract ends. Not using it much because of iPad.
Maggie, I have to say, with the 250M plan, I was constantly thinking about whether to use 3G or not...I'm reasonably sure the new 2G plan would have worked out fine for me, but having the unlimited option really has me relaxed now about just using the iPad everywhere and at all times.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #24
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Maggie, I have to say, with the 250M plan, I was constantly thinking about whether to use 3G or not...I'm reasonably sure the new 2G plan would have worked out fine for me, but having the unlimited option really has me relaxed now about just using the iPad everywhere and at all times.
Yup, exactly!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #25
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Never realized before but the amount you guys pay for data is crazy! We wer just talking in the iPhone 4 thread and in the UK tmobile do a sim with unlimited data for £20 for 6 months use! That's what less than $30!

Are all the options over their so expensive or is it just the iPhone/iPad related deals?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #26
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Someone compared it to another smart phone recently, on another carrier. Verizon, I think. Cost seemed similar there.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #27
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Never realized before but the amount you guys pay for data is crazy! We wer just talking in the iPhone 4 thread and in the UK tmobile do a sim with unlimited data for £20 for 6 months use! That's what less than $30!

Are all the options over their so expensive or is it just the iPhone/iPad related deals?
The key word here, stustaff, is "options"
Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #28
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
"Options" would be nice, wouldn't they? What a concept.

To be fair though, I've been with AT&T for around ten years, and am fortunate to have no real complaints; coverage in my area has been pretty decent.

Although I doubt I'll ever, ever need it, for now I'm planning to lock in unlimited data on my new iPhone since I qualify for grandfathering in. I'll track usage over the course of the next few months, which includes a few trips, and then reevaluate in the fall or so. I know on the current iPhone, I've never even come close to the 2 GB total, but since that's an original, slower-than-molasses Edge network model, I figure my usage patterns might not be the same with the new iPhone 4.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #29
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/17/ipad-...-mifi-innards/

have your wi-fi cake and eat the 3g too..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #30
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/17/ipad-...-mifi-innards/

have your wi-fi cake and eat the 3g too..
Ouch, no more GPS? Not like I have the tech ability or interest to try such an experiment, but GPS is a key reason I bought a 3G model. Many of the apps I like best for travel (and elsewise on the go) rely on GPS.