Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 01:10 AM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Audible Download Links Broken

Audible has managed to make it impossible to download audio books to your desktop. All the Download links in your library have been replaced with a link to the How To Listen page!

I'm hoping this is just some stupidness at Audible, and it will get fixed, but I haven't had a chance to go through the pain of Customer Service to deal with it. However, if it's intentional, this is a serious attack on our ability to have DRM-Free audio books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Audible has managed to make it impossible to download audio books to your desktop. All the Download links in your library have been replaced with a link to the How To Listen page!

I'm hoping this is just some stupidness at Audible, and it will get fixed, but I haven't had a chance to go through the pain of Customer Service to deal with it. However, if it's intentional, this is a serious attack on our ability to have DRM-Free audio books.
I see the Download buttons, but I didn't try actually to download a book.

Sometimes there's weird stuff going on with Audible's website; prices won't display or it won't let me log into my wishlist or library.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I see the Download buttons, but I didn't try actually to download a book.

Sometimes there's weird stuff going on with Audible's website; prices won't display or it won't let me log into my wishlist or library.
Yes, it looks like a download button, but just opens up the How To Listen page. Quite annoying.

Charlie.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Yes, it looks like a download button, but just opens up the How To Listen page.
So it does.

Audible keeps making it harder and harder for listeners and I wonder how that's going to work out. Unfortunately, I think they're perceived as the only game in town.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Well, I intend to call and complain. With some assertiveness. Sharon still use one of my old iPods for swimming, since two Delphins was considered excessive. And there is now no way to get audio books onto it.
Advert
Old 10-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Well, I intend to call and complain. With some assertiveness. Sharon still use one of my old iPods for swimming, since two Delphins was considered excessive. And there is now no way to get audio books onto it.
OK, I called. Here's the deal--they did something to mess up settings. Go to your account details, update settings, software verification. Check the box for Audible Download Manager. Then you can download as before.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Audible Software!

OK, I did the needful and contacted Audible. After only a short wait, I got a helpful person who explained that "yes, they _are_ having problems, but there's a workaround". Turns out the workaround is to enable Software Verification for the Account. So:
  1. Log on to Audible
  2. From the dropdown list under your name, select Account Details
  3. Re-enter password if required
  4. In Your Account, click Update Settings
  5. Check the Software Verification box.
  6. Proceed to your Library to download books
They claim this is temporary. I sure hope so. I do NOT want them checking my desktop, thank you.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Wonder if they'll also be checking for the software that can rip audible audiobooks to MP3?

I did a little experiment yesterday when I saw this post. I downloaded the AAX files on my phone that I've downloaded and saved them in the same folder as my AudibleManager downloads. Although the names are obfuscated (something like B01OPIERW.aax), when I opened the "Add to Library" dialog box in AudibleManager and hovered over the file, it told me what it was. It appears to import correctly - but I'll admit it was getting late and I can't actually remember if I played it to confirm it can play. Will have to do that when I get home tonight.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Wonder if they'll also be checking for the software that can rip audible audiobooks to MP3?

I did a little experiment yesterday when I saw this post. I downloaded the AAX files on my phone that I've downloaded and saved them in the same folder as my AudibleManager downloads. Although the names are obfuscated (something like B01OPIERW.aax), when I opened the "Add to Library" dialog box in AudibleManager and hovered over the file, it told me what it was. It appears to import correctly - but I'll admit it was getting late and I can't actually remember if I played it to confirm it can play. Will have to do that when I get home tonight.
Of they are checking, they aren't doing anything about it. I download a book after setting inAudible as the default handler of .adh files and it downloaded and converted to .m4b without issue.

Charlie.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
So.....what do you suppose that "software setting" to ensure you have AudibleManager installed was for, if this is only temporary?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:39 AM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)

With Audible, I'm reminded of the old and well proven adage: Never aspire to malice that which can easily be explained by simple incompetence.