Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #31
RJ_Cruze_Jr
RJ_Cruze_Jr is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Okay, the "add books" bug is dead -- long live the bug

I downloaded Crown of Slaves from the Baen Free Library in HTML, MS Reader, MobiPocket/Kindle, and RTF format (for a random sample). I tidied up the meta information and converted them all -- no errors. Then I saved them, loaded them into my PRS-505, and opened them up. Works fine on my end

Now I'll see if I can find a .pdf to play with...
RJ_Cruze_Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #32
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Cruze_Jr View Post
Okay, the "add books" bug is dead -- long live the bug

I downloaded Crown of Slaves from the Baen Free Library in HTML, MS Reader, MobiPocket/Kindle, and RTF format (for a random sample). I tidied up the meta information and converted them all -- no errors. Then I saved them, loaded them into my PRS-505, and opened them up. Works fine on my end

Now I'll see if I can find a .pdf to play with...
Glad to hear it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #33
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Is there still an sqlite database associated with calibre? If so, where is it stored?
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #34
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Glad to hear it
No problems here thus far either.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #35
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Is there still an sqlite database associated with calibre? If so, where is it stored?
yeah it's called metadata.db and is stored in the ebooks folder
Advert
Old 08-30-2008, 10:59 PM   #36
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
yeah it's called metadata.db and is stored in the ebooks folder
I haven't been hit with any bugs since my initial install found the libxml2 problem, and I'm happy to report that calibre is leagues faster than previously. This is (and has been) a quality piece of software. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #37
illadel
illadel began at the beginning.

Now working fine on my desktop. I renamed /opt/calibre dir from my prior install to /opt/calibre.bak and moved the beta off my desktop to /opt/calibre and now all is well on OpenSuse 10.3.

I'll check out Kubuntu tomorrow, it looks like I used the easy install on my notebook though and I'm not exactly sure how to make it work without introducing the distro neutral install and doing the rename/replace thing as I did with OpenSuse distro.

Oh, you asked for output of "ls -l Qt*". It returned
Quote:
ls: cannot access Qt*: No such file or directory
when typed as cap but when typed as "ls -l qt*" output is
Quote:
drwxr-xr-x 2 todd users 4096 2008-08-30 18:07 codecs
drwxr-xr-x 2 todd users 4096 2008-08-30 18:07 iconengines
drwxr-xr-x 2 todd users 4096 2008-08-30 18:07 imageformats
Again, I'll try out OpenSuse tomorrow cause if I did tonight my gf would kill me
illadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:50 PM   #38
illadel
illadel began at the beginning.

meant Kubuntu, everything from prior post was regarding OpenSuse. Tired.
illadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:57 PM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Who does
Well... I prefer it to Linux... although Linux is ok.... but if you want to run Linux why spend the premium to buy Apple hardware?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:02 AM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I really like Apple hardware, but I prefer Linux. I've got my office mini set up to dual-boot Linux/OS X with the default being Linux. Either partition can run XP via VMWare, so I've got all my bases covered
As I said before... I don't see paying the Apple premium for their hardware if you are going to run Linux. You can usually buy a lot more for you money and still run Linux on it.

I am new to Apple. Had my iMac for a month or so now. The problem I have is they don't have any mid-price stuff. While the iMac is nice... they don't sell a smilar spec machine without a monitor. They charge $600 for the equivalent monitor to what my iMac has... so they should sell just a PC for about $900. Oh well.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:08 AM   #41
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by illadel View Post
Now working fine on my desktop. I renamed /opt/calibre dir from my prior install to /opt/calibre.bak and moved the beta off my desktop to /opt/calibre and now all is well on OpenSuse 10.3.

I'll check out Kubuntu tomorrow, it looks like I used the easy install on my notebook though and I'm not exactly sure how to make it work without introducing the distro neutral install and doing the rename/replace thing as I did with OpenSuse distro.

Oh, you asked for output of "ls -l Qt*". It returned when typed as cap but when typed as "ls -l qt*" output is Again, I'll try out OpenSuse tomorrow cause if I did tonight my gf would kill me
You have to install the beta in the same location as the binary install (that implies you have to install the binary install first). You should need to rename /opt/calibre just extract the contents of the beta tarball into the directory so it overwrites the old files.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:27 AM   #42
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Just did a clean install on Windows XP SP2 in a Virtual PC session and on the initial run the convert/compact database dialog (I forget the wording) just sat there for 5-10 mins before I got bored and canceled it.

calibre still seems to work, so only a minor bug/feature!
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post
Just did a clean install on Windows XP SP2 in a Virtual PC session and on the initial run the convert/compact database dialog (I forget the wording) just sat there for 5-10 mins before I got bored and canceled it.

calibre still seems to work, so only a minor bug/feature!
Just to be clear, you did not have an old installation of calibre before installing the beta?
Old 08-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #44
JeffElkins
Guru

One thing I'm seeing that's hard to get used to is the folder organization. Calibre is dumping everything in one top level folder, organized by author name. My personal system for folders is hierarchical: genre->author->series - I'm sure others have their own methods. I'd like to see more flexibility on Calibre's part here.

On the technical side, I've had zero problems importing mobi-formatted books from my collection. I'm still scratching my head regarding .oebzip books.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #45
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
One thing I'm seeing that's hard to get used to is the folder organization. Calibre is dumping everything in one top level folder, organized by author name. My personal system for folders is hierarchical: genre->author->series - I'm sure others have their own methods. I'd like to see more flexibility on Calibre's part here.

On the technical side, I've had zero problems importing mobi-formatted books from my collection. I'm still scratching my head regarding .oebzip books.
What's the problem with the .oeb.zip books?

As for folder organization, there are an infinite number of ways to do this. Back when I was first designing the GUI I used to keep my books in folders too, but I found a rigid, hierarchical tagging system (which is what folders are) to be to limited for my needs, which is why I wrote the GUI to browse my book collection. That said, adding support for different folder organizations is not too difficult, but it's not something I personally have any motivation for.