Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM   #4486
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Audiobooks.com -- 12 Days of Deals -- exp 11 Dec
  • $7.99 -- Fly Girls -- Keith O'brien/ Erin Bennett --> 12.3 hrs --> NF history
Quote:
Fly Girls: How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History

Between the world wars, no sport was more popular, or more dangerous, than airplane racing. Thousands of fans flocked to multi-day events, and cities vied with one another to host them. The pilots themselves were hailed as dashing heroes who cheerfully stared death in the face. Well, the men were hailed. Female pilots were more often ridiculed than praised for what the press portrayed as silly efforts to horn in on a manly, and deadly, pursuit. Fly Girls recounts how a cadre of women banded together to break the original glass ceiling: the entrenched prejudice that conspired to keep them out of the sky.

O'Brien weaves together the stories of five remarkable women: Florence Klingensmith, a high school dropout who worked for a dry cleaner in Fargo, North Dakota; Ruth Elder, an Alabama divorcee; Amelia Earhart, the most famous, but not necessarily the most skilled; Ruth Nichols, who chafed at the constraints of her blue blood family's expectations; and Louise Thaden, the mother of two young kids who got her start selling coal in Wichita. Together, they fought for the chance to race against the men-and in 1936 one of them would triumph in the toughest race of all.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #4487
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 12 Dec @ 11:59 PM GMT
Old Today, 07:04 AM   #4488
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 12 Dec @ 11:59 PM PT
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #4489
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
It was mainly hyperbole (exaggeration). The point is: "Inactive Listeners" or "InactiveListeners" really don't get much for their membership fee (albeit a small one) anymore.

I signed up for the Listener Light/Inactive Listener (the name used to be ListenerLite or Listener Light) plan several years ago, and I renewed it year after year. It seems to me that, as time went on, that there was a point where we started to get to participate in fewer and fewer sales and promotions. Somewhere along in there, Audible started calling us Inactive Listeners--that was like a kick in the teeth.(I put my money where my "mouth" is: I had about a year left on my Inactive Listener membership, but I got so disgusted with Audible that about 6 months before the expiration was to have occurred, I called Audible and politely canceled my association with them completely).

[I started writing what would have amounted to a long post about my grievances. I decided that I don't want to do that.]

When Audible changed the name of the membership to Inactive Listener, they told us more than they might have intended--we've been more and more inactive buying from them, because we get to participate in fewer and fewer sales and promotions.
I've got about 6 months left in my light/inactive membership and I don't plan to renew. As far as the sale goes, there was no sale banner when I logged in but I did see it when I followed Catlady's link. So I will be buying an audiobook from the sale after all. The one advantage to Audible over the other audiobook sellers is that you can transfter the books to mp3 players, such as the Sansa clip. As far as I can tell, the others have to be listened to through an app. Anyway, I'm glad it was pointed out that all members are eligible for the sale prices.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:49 AM   #4490
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
The one advantage to Audible over the other audiobook sellers is that you can transfter the books to mp3 players, such as the Sansa clip. As far as I can tell, the others have to be listened to through an app.
Not at all; in fact, the advantage is the other way with a couple of major sellers. Unlike Audible, Downpour and Tantor sell DRM-free audiobooks which can be transferred to any mp3 player and not just Sansa clips. My waterproof mp3 player is fed with books from Downpour, Tantor and OverDrive; my Audible library is inaccessible.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote