Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #106
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4S
I think we are already seeing the effects of phone/tablets taking away much of the market for ereaders. Fewer providers, long times between updates, much slower pace innovation.

To wit...there are very few independant ebook readers compared to 5 years ago.

Color “eInk” never made it to market.

All those cool premium large eInk devices - none of them made it.

Prices stopped coming down such that you can actually get a phone or a tablet as cheap or cheaper than an ereader.

Extinct? No. There is a market demand to keep eInk in existence.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #107
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, PW2, Galaxy Tab S
In low light condition,I think a good OLED screen is superior to any e-ink screen. In the evening, I can read using much smaller font on my Samsung galaxy S than the kindle voyage. Of course weight and battery life are a different matter.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:25 AM   #108
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Old, non-front-lit eReaders. Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos and Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I think we are already seeing the effects of phone/tablets taking away much of the market for ereaders. Fewer providers, long times between updates, much slower pace innovation.
The market always shakes down when you're talking about new technology, especially as profit margins sink. Sony is really the only big company to give up on eInk readers, and (at the same time) they got out of several other consumer electronic lines (like laptops and desktops). And you could say the same thing about smartphones. No more Windows Phone, no more Blackberries, no more Symbian -- basically it's down to Android and iOS. Still a lot of people using eInk readers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:41 AM   #109
Ammonite
Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma
SO and I were both reading in bed tonight: she with her Paperwhite 4 and I with my 6" phone (left my Forma at the office). We both had white text on black background with brightness turned low to reduce eyestrain in the dark.

Once she glanced over at my screen, she laughed at how horrible the contrast on E-ink was vs OLED. Not only that, but my brightness was much lower on my phone than her Kindle (she was at level 3). Even with the Kindle's default black text on white background, the lower contrast and high brightness were no match for the phone which has a blue light filter mode. Lastly, typing notes and highlighting is leagues better than the Kindle because G Board is so fast with glide typing and/or voice transcribing.

For my needs, the Kobo Forma is perfect because that 8" display allows a lot more text than my phone and the battery life is longer than 7 hours. However, against the PW4, I'm going with the Google Pixel 3 XL.

Last edited by Ammonite; 11-22-2018 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Grammar
Ammonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #110
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
In low light condition,I think a good OLED screen is superior to any e-ink screen. In the evening, I can read using much smaller font on my Samsung galaxy S than the kindle voyage. Of course weight and battery life are a different matter.
I agree on the OLED being better. Battery life on my phone is more than good enough.

This trend to narrow and taller phone screens is annoying for reading however. Maybe I'll get used to it, but right now, the 18:9 aspect ratio looks very odd for a book.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote