Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-21-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast
Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Post All text slanted (set in certain embedded fonts)

Hi there, I've been trying to figure this out by myself, thought I had it but nay.

The issue first arose with Linux Libertine ( http://libertine-fonts.org/download/ ), in the Calibre viewer all text set in Linux Libertine was slanted (all passages, with no overrides, regardeless wether they were set to font-style normal or italic... on top of that they were oblique or slanted). When the same EPUB was opened in ADE the result was terrible (i's were missing their dots, and j's were missing entirely).

The Epub in question was created through Indesign CC.

I then used an OTF version and everything was solved.

Now I used Baskervald ( http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/adffonts.html ) for another project. Had the exact same problem, but it already is an OTF, so... ¿any ideas?

On the up side, when opened in ADE the Epub shows as it should.

Thanks in advance.
Land_Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:01 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Post a sample epub showing the problem.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast
Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!

Long time fan here

I will do so as soon as possible (I only have internet access in my mobile right now, though I'll see if I can use it as a hotspot).

In addition: I suspect it has something to do with Indesign's font subsetting (at least my googling suggested as much).

Update: Just tried replacing the subsetted file with the original file. Problem solved... But I still want to know what is it that Calibre interpretes as "this font must be slanted".

I've found this to be a somewhat common issue with embedded fonts in Sigil and Calibre.

I'll upload the font, the subsetted font and the subsetted exported font ASAP.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast

Last edited by Land_Outcast; 06-22-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast

Here they are.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Baskervald x3.zip (43.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 01:18 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't have anything to do with calibre. Font interpretation in the view components of both sigil and calibre is done by Qt WebKit. You'd have to ask the Qt developers why that happens. Also since WebKit is used by lots of ebook renderers, it's probably not a good idea to use the font subsetting in Indesign. Instead use the font subset tool in the calibre editor or the calibre Polish books tool
Old 06-23-2018, 03:48 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Outcast View Post
Here they are.

My computer says 2 of the fonts you shared, BaskervaldADFStd.otf and BaskervaldADFStd_SST.otf are not valid font files. This font is available for free download around the internet, you might want to download files that aren't corrupted.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast

@kovidgoyal: I'll head over to Qt and see if someone there can shed light on this.
And thanks for this:
Quote:
Also since WebKit is used by lots of ebook renderers, it's probably not a good idea to use the font subsetting in Indesign.
Certainly not a good idea.
As far as I've investigated, Indesign does not offer embedding without subsetting, so perhaps the most efficient way is embedding them with Indesign, then swapping for the complete fonts with Calibre, and then polishing.

@DoctorOhh: Certainly, the subsetted one isn't a valid font file. On the other hand, the exported subsetted is recognized by my system as a valid font file (albeit it looks off, by which I mean the specimen shows everything set in Arial, as if there were no glyphs available).
Old 06-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre is capable of embedding fonts as well, so you can do both steps after exporting.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #10
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast

Well, embedding said font with Calibre (without subsetting) yields the same results: all text is slanted.

When the font is embedded (be it through Indesign or Calibre, subsetted or not) the resulting text is slanted.
When the reader retrieves the font from elsewhere, it is not.

Last edited by Land_Outcast; 07-02-2018 at 05:11 PM.