Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #916
coopchange
coopchange began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi N647
Kia ora, Hello from Aotearoa New Zealand,

Could I please receive the sd image to reformat my Kobo N647 Wifi?

Thanks in advance; good work you're doing here Paul.

Warm Regards,
--john

PS. If it's simple nothing off your shoulder, I wouldn't mind a pointer to a clear comment about the steps of using the image to fix the common problem in this thread. Thanks for your time and support!
Old 10-17-2020, 12:13 AM   #917
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.

For instructions, see Memory Upgrade Mod Guide. They are for the Glo, but the basic steps and tools are the same.
Advert
Old 11-25-2020, 09:02 PM   #918
machetexxx
machetexxx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N647
Kobo N647

Would I be able to get the sd image to reformat my Kobo N647 Wifi?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-25-2020, 10:06 PM   #919
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:29 AM   #920
math423
math423 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless (BN647)
Hi,

May I please receive the sd image to reformat Kobo N647?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Math
Advert
Old 12-18-2020, 04:31 AM   #921
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:14 PM   #922
bobpatton77
bobpatton77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hey, just got a Kobo N289 (or im seeing its actually called a N647) but I need the sd image, no books are being recognized. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2021, 12:25 AM   #923
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.

Kobo released three versions of the Kobo WiFi. The each had different model numbers: N289, N647 and N647B. The internals are different and use different images. The actual model should be somewhere on them. I'm assuming you found "N289" on yours. If that is not the actual model number, I can give you the correct image.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:03 AM   #924
wportre
wportre began at the beginning.

Device: Wireless, N289 and N647
Shoutout to @davidfor

I am astonished and pleased you are still DM-ing out links. I was googling, found you on the original image thread, followed the link and: wow! Linux firmware must be a thing in Oz: what must be nearly 20 years ago a guy down there helped us all root our Maxtor NASs. That was fun: subscribing to podcasts etc.

Anyway: just a shoutout. I may need your help with an image but not sure. I've managed to "kill" the WiFi on a couple of these devices as mentioned elsewhere (a bit more research to do). But the devices aren't bricked: just dull, USB no telnet etc. For various reasons I have pulled them out of the drawer after 10 years. I have an image but no idea which model the image is for etc. etc. In the interim I junked (uncharacteristically: it's always the way...) the original that I had working perfectly but broke the screen. If I kept the SD, well: 2GB SDs are not the sort of thing to get found after a decade.

Anyway: glad to have you here as a possible safety net and well done: that's a lot of devices kept alive.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:07 PM   #925
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wportre View Post
I am astonished and pleased you are still DM-ing out links. I was googling, found you on the original image thread, followed the link and: wow! Linux firmware must be a thing in Oz: what must be nearly 20 years ago a guy down there helped us all root our Maxtor NASs. That was fun: subscribing to podcasts etc.
No idea about that. I'm just keeping a copy of the images and distributing them as needed. Most have actually been produced by other people.
Quote:
Anyway: just a shoutout. I may need your help with an image but not sure. I've managed to "kill" the WiFi on a couple of these devices as mentioned elsewhere (a bit more research to do). But the devices aren't bricked: just dull, USB no telnet etc. For various reasons I have pulled them out of the drawer after 10 years. I have an image but no idea which model the image is for etc. etc. In the interim I junked (uncharacteristically: it's always the way...) the original that I had working perfectly but broke the screen. If I kept the SD, well: 2GB SDs are not the sort of thing to get found after a decade.
If the WiFi on a Kobo WiFi is not working, it is might not be broken. Kobo dropped support for these about two years ago. That included removing support for older security protocol from their servers. They were protocols that are no longer considered to be secure. The devices do a check when connecting to WiFi, and if that fails, disconnect. They may no longer be able to do this and hence always disconnect. I can't remember if anyone has reported if the WiFi on these devices work now or not.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #926
wportre

Ooh now that's a challenge! Shades of iPhone jailbreaking...

First thing I need to eliminate though is somehow I uploaded the wrong KoboRoot.tgz that replaced the original rcS rather than adding an rcS2. That means I can't trust the process of launching WiFi etc. I'm scavenging around for an original rcS. No luck yet including in my own old images (horse... door... stable) which is why I may be back for an image (or two...).
Old 03-15-2021, 09:23 AM   #927
wportre

I have found a fully-hacked image made back in Feb 2011 based on Craig Ringer's blog posts and uploaded over WiFi but no dice. I think somehow I have fried the WiFi chips in a repeatable way with an incompatible KoboRoot.tgz (it has happened twice: hey, nothing ventured nothing gained...) I'm guessing I've somehow flashed them with the wrong firmware. I don't think it's a WEP / WPA / WPA2 issue. But before I give up (not going to mess with reflashing WiFi hips etc.) can I try your N289 image @davidfor? It's a long shot I know but thank you in advance.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:41 AM   #928
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:14 PM   #929
wportre

Thank you @davidfor

To my amazement that worked: thank you. I say amazement because the new image exactly replicated the behaviour, not finding my main networks etc but then connected to a subsidiary router. Incredible: thank you.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #930
wportre

So I used @davidfor's image on my N289. Thanks again, Next I restored my N647 from my own image to software 1.7.4 and it demanded, and I let it, to update to ?1.9. Now it got that somewhere, which may be useful. I did it again and tried Wiresharking but I am not an expert. Any interest / clues?
Closed Thread