Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2018, 04:13 AM   #1
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Giving a Kindle as a present

I want to give an old but not very technically competent friend a book-reader as a present for his 70th birthday. I use a Kindle Voyage myself and that's what I would go for: it's pretty simple to use.

I'd like to pre-load it with a few books - public domain works from MobileRead probably.

However, I think I remember that many of the Kindle functions are disabled until the reader is registered with Amazon, and it's a bit of a problem registering it with his Amazon account if the present is to be a surprise (and I don't know if he has one anyway).

Is there a way round this? Suggestions would really be appreciated.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Sure! Offer to help him register his device AFTER you give it to him.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Sure! Offer to help him register his device AFTER you give it to him.
I find homemade gift certificates handy for immaterial gifts or ones that can't be given without the recipient's input.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
I gave my mom a Kindle as a gift recently. I also wanted to preload it with goodies. But in the end I waited until after giving it to her. This worked out, it gave her a chance to see where and how I got the free books, Amazon books, and how to use Calibre. It didn't take away from the surprise or the gift. But she is a little more techy, so she was really excited to load it with the books she likes.
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If he has his own Amazon account, he should be able to register it himself. Offer to be available to help him do so.

It was a bit different with my Mom as she doesn't have her own Amazon account. I had to register the unit to my own account. Hasn't been a problem though.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Araucaria: you could put the free books you want to give, onto a thumb drive. Then, after he registers the kindle, help him to copy these books over. When he is hooked on reading from a kindle, schedule another session to show him WHERE you get these books, and how to get books from Amazon (the easiest source, for a kindle). Keep him posted about freebies or bargains you learn of here.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:39 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Araucaria: you could put the free books you want to give, onto a thumb drive. Then, after he registers the kindle, help him to copy these books over. When he is hooked on reading from a kindle, schedule another session to show him WHERE you get these books, and how to get books from Amazon (the easiest source, for a kindle). Keep him posted about freebies or bargains you learn of here.
Assuming he has access to a computer, of course.

When my last boss retired 10 years ago, she wanted me to take her out shopping to get a good tablet instead of a full-sized computer. We found her one she liked....

....and she still hasn't added "internet access" to her cable. She complains non-stop about how everything is expected to be done online, but she never bothers to get herself setup.

I've put my wi-fi password in her tablet (and added her tablet MAC address to my wifi allowed devices table) so she can drive over and sit in my driveway if she REALLY needs to find something online. I've shown her where she can go at the local library.

Nope, she still just complains that everything's online and asks me to print out pages for her.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ahhh. I keep my mother's kindle on my amazon acct, and push books to her that I've already bought for myself. [She does have internet & wifi, set up by a local brother.] Once or twice she has asked for a book on her own. She uses her computer only for email, and is moderately bad at that!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #9
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
I appreciate all the suggestions, but so far none look ideal. I am pretty sure that my friend doesn't have an Amazon account. He lives in the UK while I'm in France: I'll be seeing him at his 70th birthday party but the following day he and I will probably not be in the mood for doing anything too tech-y.

He does have internet access.

Is it possible to set up a disposable Amazon account with a newly created gmail address? - just to activate the Kindle .... or does everything "Amazon" have to be linked to a live credit card?
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote