Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #46
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If calibre says "Error communicating with device" that means it tried to connect... as opposed to ignoring an unknown device.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:07 PM   #47
Amuneta
Amuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toys

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
[QUOTE=Traciinaz;3192030]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
My calibre recognized it as a Nook.[/QUOT

Calibre is giving me the message of "Error communicating with device" when I plug it in. And Digital Editions isn't finding it either. Under my windows explorer, it's listing the nook as a media device instead of a separate drive so I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with the nook. My NST reads on my computer as it's own drive and is recognized on Calibre and Digital Editions.
I have the same issue as well, I put in a report to Calibre and found a semi crappy work around if you are really hard pressed to get things on the Glowlight Plus. Copy the folders from the nst into the Glowlight Plus and it will register the books.
Amuneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #48
Traciinaz
Enthusiast
Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Paperwhite 4, Nook 7" Tablet
Ah. Sorry about stating it wrong.
Traciinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #49
Traciinaz
Enthusiast
Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:36 PM   #50
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question is, why is the Nook communicating as a media device (MTP) instead of a USB Mass Storage device?
Advert
Old 10-22-2015, 04:40 AM   #51
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Question is, why is the Nook communicating as a media device (MTP) instead of a USB Mass Storage device?
Thats how the new version of the android devices connects to a pc. It was introduced so that you can browse the file directories on the device and the pc at the same time. With usb mass storage the device was unusable till you disconnect.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:51 AM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are two (actually three Apple has its own, but we wont get into that) protocols reader devices use to communicate with the computer over USB.

1) USB Mass storage: In this the storage area of the device is exported as a block storage (like an external disk) to the computer. It gets assigned a drive letter in windows, and mounted in OS X/linux.

2) Media Transfer Protocol (MTP): This is an abomination developed by Microsoft that most newer android based devices use. It is much slower and more flaky than (1). In it your device will show up as a "Media device" in windows and not show up at all in OS X (and might or might not show up in linux).

calibre supports both protocols. For MTP devices there is no dedicated driver needed, all devices are handled with a single MTP driver in calibre. So any MTP based device you use should be auto-detected in calibre.

Unfortunately, MTP implementations in many devices are very flaky. They often fail when sending files to the device. Sometimes it is because the device's screen is locked and you have to manually unlock the screen before it will work, sometimes it is because of bugs in the device, which are usually triggered by sending the same file to the device repeatedly (as calibre does, to maintain an on device metadata cache).

So if you get a communication error for your device with calibre, try:

1) Make sure the device is not screen locked
2) Reset the device

If neither of those work, then you are out of luck and you have to try using one of the wireless methods to connect to calibre, described here:

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:37 AM   #53
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
From the product page -

In the Box

NOOK GlowLight Plus
Micro-USB Cable
Quick Start Guide
Rechargeable Battery (installed)
Built-in anti-glare screen protector

What can they mean by a Built-in anti-glare screen protector?
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:05 AM   #54
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traciinaz View Post
Quote:
My calibre recognized it as a Nook.
Calibre is giving me the message of "Error communicating with device" when I plug it in. And Digital Editions isn't finding it either. Under my windows explorer, it's listing the nook as a media device instead of a separate drive so I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with the nook. My NST reads on my computer as it's own drive and is recognized on Calibre and Digital Editions.
I had some problems with USB ports no longer working right after I plugged in the new Nook for the first time. I had to reboot to fix it.

I think the new Nook is causing the issues, don't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't know, but it's really a pain in the but.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #55
Traciinaz
Enthusiast

Thanks for that explanation kovidgoyal. This Nook may be going back then.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #56
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
For my Macbook Air I use Android File Transfer:
https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Since KitKat, all my Android devices use MTP.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #57
thetommyboy2k
thetommyboy2k has read War And Peace ... all of itthetommyboy2k has read War And Peace ... all of itthetommyboy2k has read War And Peace ... all of itthetommyboy2k has read War And Peace ... all of itthetommyboy2k has read War And Peace ... all of itthetommyboy2k has read War And Peace ... all of itthetommyboy2k has read War And Peace ... all of itthetommyboy2k has read War And Peace ... all of itthetommyboy2k has read War And Peace ... all of itthetommyboy2k has read War And Peace ... all of itthetommyboy2k has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook Glowlight
Hey everyone!

I had typed a reply yesterday, but then my browser hung up and I lost it all. :-/

I own a 1st Gen Nook and a Glowlight. I was intrigued by the newest Glowlight Plus, so I stopped in to take a look at it at my local B&N.

This Nook could easily be the most well constructed, premium Nook B&N has made to date. You really have to see it in person to fully appreciate it. It's a little heavier than the Glowlight, but it adds just the right amount of heft to it to make you feel like you're holding something that's well made. I couldn't actually play with the device because the one I was holding was one that a guy had bought and was kind enough to let me take a look at due to B&N not having a Glowlight Plus setup on display yet. I really want to get the Glowlight Plus at some point, as I really like the quality of it.

I know there's a lot of people lamenting the fact that the Glowlight Plus, and its predecessor, the Glowlight, doesn't have page turn buttons and a MicroSD card slot. Here's my thoughts on it when I look at what it seems the majority likes. I think the average reader who uses eReaders doesn't really care about page turn buttons and the MicroSD card slot. As long as it can be navigated by touch screen easily and there's enough onboard storage, they're good to go. As for my own personal opinion... I see both sides. I'm a big fan of page turn buttons and MicroSD card expansion. On my 1st Gen Nook, I'll admit, I rarely used the page turn buttons. But... that was primarily due to the bezel cracking problem the 1st Gen Nook's were notorious for. I got used to using the LCD touchscreen strip at the bottom, and it eventually felt natural to me. Although I had a MicroSD card slot on the 1st Gen Nook, again, I never actually put a card in it because all I use an eReader for is to sideload eBooks I checkout from my local library and from Openlibrary.org (AWESOME place to checkout books!). By the time I got the Glowlight, I actually never missed either option.

I honestly believe on the Nook side, and as an overall, we won't see MicroSD card expansion make a comeback. For those who wish it would, I just don't see it happening. Even Kobo has abandoned MicroSD card slot expansion, save for the Aura (not H2O). As for the page turn buttons, although one of the Kindle eReaders (can't remember which one), has brought them back, I don't really see that coming back full force either. Would I like to see them both return? Definitely! Do I think they will come back? Most likely not. I would really like to have both options, but I can see the reasons why B&N got away from incorporating both.

I still believe the Nook is a great eReader, even though they have fallen behind Amazon quite a bit. Bottom line? Go to your local B&N store if one is close by and check out the new Glowlight Plus with an open mind. Before you dismiss it because it doesn't have page turn buttons and no MicroSD card expansion, ask yourself these questions... do I care more about the reading experience or do I care that it doesn't have those features? Also ask yourself... do I really need page turn buttons and MicroSD card expansion or would I be content without them?

Tommy
thetommyboy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #58
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Two-word review after spending an evening with it: too slippery.

I'll need to either scout out the cases B&N sells for it or put some grip-tape on the back or something. It was seriously not comfortable to read with.

Easily correctable, though, and really my only real complaint so far...
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #59
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Thats how the new version of the android devices connects to a pc. It was introduced so that you can browse the file directories on the device and the pc at the same time. With usb mass storage the device was unusable till you disconnect.
I knew that
Maybe I was confused by this:

Quote:
My calibre recognized it as a Nook.

Ah, I see Android no longer supports USBMS at all???

That kinda sucks.
There's one reason I won't even consider a Nook. MTP is awful.

B&N should really reconsider their usage of Android. I know it's easier (read: lazy) to rely on a generic Android base for their E-Ink ereader software... but their primary goal shouldn't be "easy", it should be "providing the best experience to customers".
Old 10-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #60
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Their goals are to make something that is easy to use and integrates well with their bookstore. They've done a good job at both.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote