Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #31
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Read about ePub 3 in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:41 AM   #32
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongio View Post
It's the latest version of epub format. It adds support to JavaScript, audio and video content, MathML and other cool stuff.
Here you can find some sample for testing: http://idpf.github.io/epub3-samples/30/samples.html
I don't have Inkpad 3, but my Inkpad 2 opened several of those sample files and turned pages fine (in the inbuilt app, and also CoolReader had no problems), so I don't see why Inkpad 3 would not work. Or perhaps you mean some of the advanced features of epub3? Which ones?
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #33
bongio
Connoisseur
bongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the rough

Device: Energy eReader Pro HD
I asked them, they told me that currently Pocketbook does not support epub 3, however they will support epub 3 in the future software updates.
bongio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:58 AM   #34
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I asked them, they told me that currently Pocketbook does not support epub 3, however they will support epub 3 in the future software updates.
The books open fine and you can turn leafs back and forth. If it's just the text (and pics) you care about, then that works. If there are some other advanced epub3-specific features you care about, well, I have no idea what those features would be.

Besides, if epub3 specification is done right, then it considers graceful degradation, i.e. backwards-compatibility, and thus it works by default. My little experiment on Inkpad 2 tells that it's done right.

Last edited by mobama; 03-06-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:48 AM   #35
bongio
Connoisseur
bongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the roughbongio is a jewel in the rough

Device: Energy eReader Pro HD
Yes, I was thinking about advanced epub 3 functions like javascript support.
Anyway, Inkpad 3 seems really nice. If it was Android based, it would be perfect.
bongio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 AM   #36
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
Anyway, Inkpad 3 seems really nice. If it was Android based, it would be perfect.
I have Pocketbook (stripped-down Linux) and Onyx (Android) so I can compare.

Optimisation is a necessary work and Onyx did not quite get it right. There is a major difference between startup times comparing Pocketbook and Onyx, and after startup Onyx may take at least another minute to re-index your whole library, if you have tons of books like I do.

As a general idea though, Android seems common sense, and I like quite the fact that on Onyx I have workable internet. Pocketbook has a browser too, but it's better for the nervous system to not use it.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #37
ibat
Fool
ibat began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3, Cybook Odyssey HD, PocketBook PB626, PB632
What I like about eBook readers is that they cannot browse the Internet and incessantly show Video advertisements.
ibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #38
ibat
Fool
ibat began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3, Cybook Odyssey HD, PocketBook PB626, PB632
I ordered an Inkpad 3 for my son. Who will use it to read scientific publications for University. It has come now and I was able to play around with it before handing it over. The screen feels huge to me as I am used to the lux3. The buttons are ok. I end up using them more because I am not used to fbreader's zones anymore. I will install CR3 for him because I like it much better. And yes we were able to load PDFs with many diagrams w/o problems. So it fulfilled his criteria.
ibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #39
BookHoarder
BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookHoarder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Inkpad 3 (Mostly Biased Review)

I just received mine. It took two weeks from Ebay coming from Germany, but was worth it. It's like reading from a hard cover book. I've been reading off the 6in screen for years, and didn't realize what I had given up until I started reading off this reader. Sure, I've tried reading on 8in tablets, but I can't tolerate reading books off from LCD screens.

So here's the good. The large screen and smartlight with that temperature setting is really nice. Also I have an extensive epub library I manage through calibre, and loading the device with the entirety of it did not slow the Inkpad down much at all. There is no complicated tweak or setting to get the Inkpad to recognize series tags as collections. Just running the startup wizard in Calibre, and having the selection set to Pocketbook readers was all it needed.

And here's the unneeded. I don't play much with PDFs so I couldn't say how the reader handles them. To me PDF is strictly large tablet territory. My music is on my phone, and I don't listen to audio books so I don't really need the player. Not gonna use the device to browse the internet or play the little add on games.

The bad. I can't really say there's anything bad about this reader. Inkpad's not waterproof like the KOBO or Kindle now, but then again Pocketbook is not really competing against those two here in the states. I guess if there was anything to be said about the reader negatively it would be the buttons. On the touchlux models they are big and shaped to fit your thumb on. Inkpad 3 narrowed out the buttons out so when you're reading it's harder to keep your thumb on the page turn button you need for the next page. Also would recommend keeping the auto rotate feature off. Also with no built in store for the reader you'll be needing to get your books from amazon, needing to know something about apprentice alf, and needing to be comfortable with the process of file conversion, calibre, and DRM. Oh, and no waterproofing to this model.

Still I say it was worth it. It meets everything I've wanted from an Ereader. Collection management through calibre, a large tablet sized screen, SD card slot, glowscreen or smartlight, and current cover of book your reading when you power it off. Some would say that should come when you put the device to sleep, but it really only takes about 10 seconds to go from completely powered off to ready to read.

Kobo, you say? No. It has all that wasted space inside the screen that you need to use a patch to get rid of; no matter the model. But what about Kindle? Roots and hacks and whatnot just to get a custom screen saver. This setting has been on almost every other model of ereader for year. There is no reason paperwhites and oasis's should not have it other than Amazon trying to ransom your screen for money.

If only pocketbook would come to the states. I think they could strongly compete against the others here.
BookHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #40
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookHoarder View Post
I guess if there was anything to be said about the reader negatively it would be the buttons. On the touchlux models they are big and shaped to fit your thumb on. Inkpad 3 narrowed out the buttons out so when you're reading it's harder to keep your thumb on the page turn button you need for the next page.
I was very much afraid of the shape of the buttons. Buttons on Inkpad 2 are very dear to me.

Have you managed to find a cover for Inkpad 3?
Old 03-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #41
Kirek50
Kirek50 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3, TouchLux 3, Nook STGL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post

http://czytio.pl/akcesoria-do-czytni...kpad-3-brazowe
Kirek50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #42
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Pocketbook sell fitting covers for the InkPad 3, at least on their German site. I picked one up when I ordered the IP3. It's a little steep at €30 for faux leather, but I figured it's better than taking chances with third party products that may not be a perfect fit. (Link)
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inkpad