Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-02-2017, 10:16 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffls View Post
Ah, that makes perfect sense.
I've been looking through the docs and code available for plugins, but haven't figured out yet how do a simple one that would take the book selection and execute my python code that utilizes my amazon api login information. It's tough looking through all the plugins to find one that's a good starting point.
I can't really think of a good starting point either. Goodreads Sync uses the Goodreads API and does some changes to the tags, but it does so many other things it can be confusing to find code. But, you should be able to create a metadata source plugin that does it. They aren't limited to scraping web sites. The Fantastic Fiction metadata source plugin uses their API for some of the function. And doing it this way has the big advantage of not having to worry about an UI.

The book selection side of it is easy, and most of the plugins start that way. Again, I'm not sure which to suggest as a starting point, but if you have a look at any of the plugins I'm maintaining, I'll be happy to answer any questions.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Metadata source plugins have a pretty trivial API. Basically you just need to implement a single method, the identify() method. And optionally the download_cover() method. Just look at any metadata download plugin for examples.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:47 AM   #18
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
One bit of metadata I wish I could automatically fetch from Amazon is the page count, if defined. I'd love to be able to tack that on at the end of the description.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:29 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
One bit of metadata I wish I could automatically fetch from Amazon is the page count, if defined. I'd love to be able to tack that on at the end of the description.
Amazon owns Goodreads. The Count Pages PI can use Goodreads
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #20
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Amazon owns Goodreads. The Count Pages PI can use Goodreads
Amazon does not reliably populate page-count data to Goodreads; its ownership of the site is irrelevant. Furthermore, Goodreads has a host of librarians with access to edit (theoretically fixing) GR book data on a whim; those changes don't propagate back to Amazon.

Thus, saying "use Goodreads as a source for this Amazon data" is unreliable at best.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #21
jeffls
jeffls began at the beginning.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Metadata source plugins have a pretty trivial API. Basically you just need to implement a single method, the identify() method. And optionally the download_cover() method. Just look at any metadata download plugin for examples.
I've looked at several and still having a problem. I can actually get my code to use the amazon api and obtain the fields I want, but it's not clear what magic gets these back into the calibre database.

Most all of the example code uses the worker capabilities, and I'm have a serious issue getting calibre-customize to import from any module file I create. For example:
1. I have two files: "__init__.py" and "worker.py"

2. worker.py has a class named "Worker"

3. My class in __init__.py has the following line:

name = 'Amazon Genre Tags'

4. in my init.py file I try: (note: my plugin is named 'Amazon Genre Tags')

from calibre_plugins.amazon_genre_tags.worker import Worker

Result: The calibre-customize -b command will always file with the following error:

ImportError: No module named amazon_genre_tags.worker

It's there, I can't figure out what the problem is. I'm probably too dense to learn strictly from examples and need more direct step-by-step instructions.
jeffls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffls View Post
ImportError: No module named amazon_genre_tags.worker
Perhaps you are missing the plugin-import-name file. See the plugin documentation.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #23
jeffls
jeffls began at the beginning.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Perhaps you are missing the plugin-import-name file. See the plugin documentation.
THANK YOU!!! When switching from single __init__.py file I forgot I needed to add this file.
jeffls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, metadata, tags