Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-12-2018, 02:03 AM   #31
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by citytrader View Post
it does not mean you are using the device in an optimum way.
You still make no sense.

I have needs, and from them I proceed to instruments. I pick the best instrument to satisfy my need. And in the process, by the way, I am a insatiable fanatic for optimization.

Your hard-to-handle expressions (here with reference to this quoted one) may seem to be read as "I now have this thing, now what's the best I can do with it". To be literally explicit: assuming this in quotes is your perspective, and assuming its reasonable sides, taken exclusively as you seem to be suggesting it is kind of blind to that other perspective, which is the natural one.

EDIT: I had a sudden enlightenment, and I now suspect that your statement may had been "EPD is not optimal for a number of tasks it may be assigned". If that is the case, what's new? What's to conclude? LCD is not optimal for the tasks it is normally assigned, when you remove it from its comfort zone: caves! (EDIT2: no, my rush: actually LCD is strongly suboptimal especially in caves.)

Last edited by mdp; 05-12-2018 at 06:31 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:28 AM   #32
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisR View Post
you may need to create maps using mobac on a PC
By the way: Mobac (Mobile Atlas Creator), has a very good code, extremely well organized and readable, and a building process that is "one command away".
So it was next to a breeze to add the option to create the map tiles as "PNG, 16 shades of grey" - which on EPD optimizes (halves) the map file size.

I had not proposed the addition of such option to the author, but that's quickly done.

Last edited by mdp; 05-12-2018 at 02:30 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #33
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Frontlight chance is slim, too. As bigger as the screens are getting the more difficult is it to implement such a frontlight. It's nearly impossible für the Max and won't probably work with the Note 2 as well.
Apparently, Jezetech has demoed a 10.3" ereader with a frontlight so it seems that it is possible. Hopefully, Onyx will follow suit with their next Note whenever that should be.

Quote:
Later in the video we get to see the P10C with its 10.3" screen. The neat thing about this model is it’s the first 10.3" ereader demoed with a frontlight, and the lighting actually looks nice and even on the large screen.

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...and-7-8-video/
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #34
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Apparently, Jezetech has demoed a 10.3" ereader with a frontlight so it seems that it is possible. Hopefully, Onyx will follow suit with their next Note whenever that should be.
I suspect they will need to convince E Ink to make one. Generally Onyx is not in the screen business. I do think E Ink should figure out that there is a need for this product. Onyx did get them to build more 9.7" devices after they claimed a lighted 9.7 was not available for Carta displays although they did not up the PPI.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #35
citytrader
Connoisseur
citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: BOOX Note
I sent to Onyx the inquiry about USB-OTG and they answered that is not supported and I didn't like that answer... for now I don't need it because I have other tablets for that task, but was an answer from a company that does not care it's customers.

Last edited by citytrader; 05-14-2018 at 11:24 AM.
citytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by citytrader View Post
I sent to Onyx the inquiry about USB-OTG and they answered that is not supported and I didn't like that answer... for now I don't need it because I have other tablets for that task, but was an answer from a company that does not care it's customers.
It is likely just because they can't power a remote device. Read about this in our wiki OTG on an Onyx Boox.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #37
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
I want Onyx Note badly but for that price I want it to be what Onyx always was: with the card slot and with next page / previous page buttons.
Is it really too much to ask?

So I hoped at least to get one with 64 GB but it seems it is not an option but rather a possible future model. Unfortunately.

Of course the card slot is the best solution, but 64 GB on board would be also an acceptable alternative.
32 GB is simply not enough for my needs, unfortunately.
I guess, I could buy two Notes instead - sort of a workaround. But then the price of additional 32 GB would be €550 instead of €20 or whatever it costs.

As to the front light - I would actually pay extra for an option without it. So great. Saving money here
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #38
John.Dorrian
Enthusiast
John.Dorrian began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle KB, Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandoe View Post
Although I had been waiting (impatiently!) for the new availability of the Note on Amazon - and in the process scouring these forums as well as other venues - I realize that I have kept reading vague implications about "enhanced" or "revised" versions of the Note.

There are many reasons why the new Boox Note (and Max2, for that matter) is a significant upgrade, and provides a strong rationale for purchase, including: improved screen resolution, reasonable computing horsepower, Android 6, among others.

However, it's also a significant investment....more than my Samsung tablet, and more than my smartphone. For the over 5 bill price, I would hope that it would tick all of the boxes, and not just some. The boxes it's missing (for my needs) includes SD card port, and front light.

Hence, my hesitation about pulling the trigger. Can anyone substantiate or lend credence to the rumors of an enhanced version, and if so, is there any indication about the addition of either SD Card capability or frontlights?

TIA
Ed
Onyx boox note is now available on Amazon. Have you got one?Please share your experience!
John.Dorrian is offline   Reply With Quote