Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
blaser
Enthusiast
blaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Battery drain

Running version 3.3 on Kindle DXG
Yesterday I installed Launchpad and kindlepdfviewer.
afterwards I charge the battery and disconnected in the morning.

coming back at the afternoon the battery has 42% left only.
Just to mentioned, I always turn off the 3G and I have only 11 books on it.
Any ideas if the programs above are the source of the fast battery drain?

Last edited by blaser; 11-21-2012 at 04:41 PM.
blaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaser View Post
Running version 3.3 on Kindle DXG
Yesterday I installed Launchpad and kindlepdfviewer.
afterwards I charge the battery and disconnected in the morning.

coming back at the afternoon the battery has 42% left only.
Just to mentioned, I always turn off the 3G and I have only 11 books on it.
Any ideas if the programs above are the source of the fast battery drain?
It is unlikely that those two applications have anything to do with the just now noticed battery drain.

Although you could un-install them to check for yourself.

A DX?
How old?
Those Li-Ion batteries do not last forever, you could be getting close to the end of your battery's useful life. (You aren't the first.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
blaser
Enthusiast

DXG
Not sure how old, I bought it from someone for $40.
Anyway to know when it was manufactured?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
DXG
Not sure how old, I bought it from someone for $40.
Anyway to know when it was manufactured?
Color of the plastic case is not significant.

From the serial number, but I haven't seen anything about the algorithm, so you will have to call Amazon customer service.

Keep it plugged in to a charger or a powered hub (your computer may well power-off its USB when it goes to sleep or suspends).
The DX (of any color) is very difficult to de-brick if that battery runs down too far.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
blaser
Enthusiast

I checked with Amazon, original purchase date was June 2010.
Should I replace the battery?
I saw people selling LICO batteries on ebay for $8, anyone has experience with those?
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I checked with Amazon, original purchase date was June 2010.
Should I replace the battery?
I saw people selling LICO batteries on ebay for $8, anyone has experience with those?
The batteries have a typical lifetime of 2 to 3 years.
Yours is 2-1/2 years old.

It is old enough to at least test its storage capacity.
Or, just replace it now, it isn't expected to live much longer.

What did Amazon say about getting an exact replacement battery?
Old 11-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The batteries have a typical lifetime of 2 to 3 years.
Yours is 2-1/2 years old.

It is old enough to at least test its storage capacity.
Or, just replace it now, it isn't expected to live much longer.

What did Amazon say about getting an exact replacement battery?
Many factors affect lithium battery longevity. They can die quickly, or they can last 10 years or more. It depends on how they were stored and how they were used.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
blaser
Enthusiast

It turns out that the battery drains quickly when 3G is on.
When 3G is off I can read for a long time, few days without battery going down a lot.
When I turn 3G on and leave it in screen saver mode it drains the battery quickly and the kindle dies after a day.
I thought that during sleep 3G should turn off?
Old 11-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
It turns out that the battery drains quickly when 3G is on.
When 3G is off I can read for a long time, few days without battery going down a lot.
When I turn 3G on and leave it in screen saver mode it drains the battery quickly and the kindle dies after a day.
I thought that during sleep 3G should turn off?
1) Yes. During each burst transmission the transmitter pulls 3 amps from the 1.5 aHr battery.

2) Normal.

3) User's choice. The Wifi will shut down when the Kindle goes to sleep. The 3G is a second complete, SoC based, computer system.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
blaser
Enthusiast

I assume that sleep is a timer activated and it runs an internal command to turn screen off etc.
Anyway to incorporate 3G off during sleep mode?
I will turn it on manually after when needed, it is pain when you forget the 3G on and then you get to a flight without battery power left.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
I assume that sleep is a timer activated and it runs an internal command to turn screen off etc.
I will turn it on manually after when needed, it is pain when you forget the 3G on and then you get to a flight without battery power left.
I would only turn it on when needed...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
The 3G card operates under command of the main system.
Since the main system allows the user an interface to turn the 3G on and off manually, then there logically must be a command or commands in the firmware for that purpose.

1) Can it be incorporated?
Let us know when you find it.
Start by searching everything in the system scripting that sends "AT commands". The modem/radio card is controlled by an extended (vastly extended) version of the Hayes "AT" modem commands.

2) It would be probably be a mistake to try to program user responsibility.
It may be a pain to show up for a flight without a "packed" battery, but it would also be a pain to show up for a flight without a "packed" bag.
Get whoever is responsible for seeing that your bag is packed (you?) is also made responsible for seeing that the battery is charged.

Note 1: The system provides a handy visual indicator in the top right of the screen to let you know if either 3G or Wifi is enabled.

Note 2: The time may come when everyone's thinking can be turned over to a computer (Windows v32?) but lab126 isn't up to that task (yet).
Load: "The Terminal Man" by Michael Crichton for your next flight.